Fatdog64-700 beta2 [Closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
CatDude

#61 Post by CatDude »

Hi
smokey01 wrote:I've just noticed links in Notecase no longer work in fd700b2.

It doesn't seem to recognise defaultbrowser. I think that's what Notecase is calling.
Any idea how to fix this :?:

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

yerc1

Re: Fatdog64-700 beta2

#62 Post by yerc1 »

I've finally tried Fatdog64 and I'm impressed.

I had no expectation it, being a 64-bit distro, will run on my Acer Aspire One 532h netbook with Intel Atom N450 / 1.66 GHz & 1 GB ram, but it did.
There are nice things that would be good to see in official puppy releases.

I was hoping this Fatdog64, with its 3.17 kernel will get the touchpad on my Toshiba Chromebook CB30 working.
It won't boot on the chromebook. The error message says something about not enough memory iirc.

The chromebook specs according to Chrome System Information app:
CPU x86_64 architecture
Memory 1.97 GB Total capacity

I know there's a version for Acer720 chromebook, but I skipped that as the Acer and the Toshiba have different touchpads.

Is there anything I need to do to run Fatdog64-700 on the chromebook?

gcmartin

#63 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Yerc1
yerc1 wrote: ... Is there anything I need to do to run Fatdog64-700 on the chromebook?
The ability to boot anything on any Chromebook varies by BIOS, CPU+MB, vendor and "touch displays".

Thus, at this time in the Linux world, this is evolving with many of us hoping for some singularity/standard.

No PUP as yet has a clear path on this and for those who will be purchasing in coming year-end sales, instructions to do this will be in greater demand in 2015. There are 2 new changes now occurring in Chromebooks: display technology and resolution, as well as TOUCH. Expect to see much of this on/before US's CES in early months of 2015.

But, hark, there may be some instructions forthcoming.

solex

Installed over beta 1

#64 Post by solex »

Just completed the install over beta 1 and no problems so far.

IBM X61 2GB RAM.

kirk

#65 Post by kirk »

I was hoping this Fatdog64, with its 3.17 kernel will get the touchpad on my Toshiba Chromebook CB30 working.
It won't boot on the chromebook. The error message says something about not enough memory iirc.
Yes, the 3.17 kernel brings chromebook support. Try booting with mem=1950m kernel option. I have a Acer c720, with the stock firmware I needed that kernel option. Could try a lower number if that doesn't work. The fatdog-split-initrd.sh can be used to make a small initrd and a separate sfs file, then you don't need that kernel option. I made a custom version of Fatdog64-631 for the Acer c720, it's here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 01&t=93747

Now that one is only for the c720, all the other kernel modules have been removed. I was going to make another custom build of 700 for the c720, but now I'm thinking of just making a package for it. Of course Fatdog64 will only work on Intel Chromebooks.

I also have a patched version of the synaptics touch pad driver that makes the touch pad less aggravating for me. I'll add it to the package manager before final.

yerc1

#66 Post by yerc1 »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Yerc1
yerc1 wrote: ... Is there anything I need to do to run Fatdog64-700 on the chromebook?
The ability to boot anything on any Chromebook varies by BIOS, CPU+MB, vendor and "touch displays".

No PUP as yet has a clear path on this and for those who will be purchasing in coming year-end sales, instructions to do this will be in greater demand in 2015. There are 2 new changes now occurring in Chromebooks: display technology and resolution, as well as TOUCH. Expect to see much of this on/before US's CES in early months of 2015.

But, hark, there may be some instructions forthcoming.
Totally agree with you on the chromebook situation with regards Toshibas. Good thing is Carolina/X-slacko run almost perfectly on my Toshiba chromebook. The only thing missing is touchpad support. I don't have Acer c720 but there seems to be widespread support for it.

@Kirk
I will try your suggestion when I get to my chromebook. Thank you

Billtoo

Fatdog64-700 beta2

#67 Post by Billtoo »

New install to a 16gb flash drive.
Installed latest proprietary nvidia driver.
I updated to Firefox 33.1 and added some other applications.

Version
Kernel Linux 3.17.1 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Sun Oct 19 15:10:08 EDT 2014
C Library GNU C Library version 2.19 (stable)
Distribution Fatdog64 [700b2]

Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.16.1
Monitors
Monitor 0 1920x1080 pixels
Monitor 1 1920x1080 pixels

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.58
Direct Rendering Y_es

On shutting down Fatdog64 some errors scroll down the screen
(it says possible syntax error) then it exits normally.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(42.91 KiB) Downloaded 661 times

solex

#68 Post by solex »

is there a way to force the num lock to stay on at reboot?

jangelelcangry

#69 Post by jangelelcangry »

The way I did it was opening the initrd file, do the process you mentioned, then click repackinitrd and done.
Attachments
xscreenshot00002.png
(7.48 KiB) Downloaded 628 times

irishrm

#70 Post by irishrm »

I have a samsung printer which I have been trying to find a driver for.
I have a driver pet from scrsn51 which obviously won't work on 700.
If anyone can point me in the right direction i would be grateful.
irishrm.

Ted Dog

#71 Post by Ted Dog »

finally tried win10 on my server. The technical preview installed easy for once and ran ok. But playback does not tear the screen.... It outright drops frames to keep up. :D So there.. Kirk and JB best both Microsoft and Apple on there own hardware ( minimac and windows home server 2012 machines. )
:shock:
keep up the good work guys.

gcmartin

Was this overlooked?

#72 Post by gcmartin »

Hello FATDOG development

At one point I was led to believe that SAMBA V4 was to be in this release.
Will there be an upgrade to version 4 SAMBA in this upcoming FATDOG release? I have been waiting thru the beta test periods to test, provide feedback, and create a guide for simple use and printing.

Looking forward.

Ted Dog

#73 Post by Ted Dog »

win10 preview showed how to setup old BIOS MBR style boot, so I redid my old win8 install to use old BIOS and if I want FatDog I switch to UEFI, take that M$ he,he ,he..... I like to share Hard-drives between devices, now I have a common denominator AGAIN. :D
Back to FD7b2, tested multisession with blue-ray so far so good. My old test of 631 is now lasted over 4 months worth of multisessions. :lol:
Ordered a new batch of BR so looking for b3.. 8) in a week or so,

JustGreg

#74 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks Kirk for the information on slack-required and slack-desc files. I did some more research on them. I think I have it for the package.

Recently, xterm popped up for a scrip and I noticed the font seem strange. I ran Xterm from urxvt and got this error message:

Code: Select all

xterm: cannot load font '-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-*-*'
I have checked the web resources for xterm and found .Xdefaults was used by both urxvt and xterm. I have tried to set the font for xterm without any luck. I ran fc-match Mono to find a font that is in Fatdog64, which would support xterm. I found this

DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"
After some additional reading, I found xterm uses xterm uses .Xresources instead of .Xdefaults

I tried to set the font for xterm with the following in .XResources

xterm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono Book
xterm*facesize: 11
I am still getting a missing font error.

I have found that starting xterm with this eliminates the error:

xterm -fa 'DejaVu Sans Mono Book' -fs 11
After much reading and many restart of X, I found the solution. I found this site:http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... xterm.html Fatdog64 uses the linux from scratch process.

There is a file /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm that sets the defaults for xterm. I added the following to it:

*VT100*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono Book
*VT100*faceSize: 11
This eliminated the font error and xterm had a easily readable font. I hope this helps.
Last edited by JustGreg on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 01:31, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

yerc1

#75 Post by yerc1 »

kirk wrote:Yes, the 3.17 kernel brings chromebook support. Try booting with mem=1950m kernel option. I have a Acer c720, with the stock firmware I needed that kernel option. Could try a lower number if that doesn't work.
Boot option mem=1500m allowed my Toshiba Chromebook to run this Fatdog.

I don't have much in terms of feedback as I played with Fatdog only briefly.
> the touchpad is indeed enabled
> wpa-gui shows that it connects to wi-fi at the public library which does not require password at the moment, but browser does not bring up the library login page to connect to the internet. My mobile phone and the chromebook running ChromeOS also connected easily and allowed me to login.
kirk wrote:I also have a patched version of the synaptics touch pad driver that makes the touch pad less aggravating for me. I'll add it to the package manager before final.
As stated above, the touchpad is enabled, but difficult to use in Fatdog. I'm hoping the patched version of the synaptics touch pad will change that.
Thanks for Fatdog and I look forward to the final version.

kirk

#76 Post by kirk »

finally tried win10 on my server. The technical preview installed easy for once and ran ok. But playback does not tear the screen.... It outright drops frames to keep up. Very Happy So there.. Kirk and JB best both Microsoft and Apple on there own hardware ( minimac and windows home server 2012 machines. )
Shocked
keep up the good work guys
Thanks Ted. I've got a Dell e6430 from work that I dual boot Windows7 and Fatdog64, that's been my experience too.
Recently, xterm popped up for a scrip and I noticed the font seem strange. I ran Xterm from urxvt and got this error message:
Code:
xterm: cannot load font '-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-*-*'
That will be fixed for the next release. Thanks
As stated above, the touchpad is enabled, but difficult to use in Fatdog. I'm hoping the patched version of the synaptics touch pad will change that.
Thanks for Fatdog and I look forward to the final version.
The patched synaptics driver is here. For my c720 I set AreaBottomEdge=400 that way I can have one finger resting on the bottom of the clickpad. I had problems with setting that in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d so I set it in a script that I put in /root/Startup. I've attached the script I use.

I've also uploaded to the repo a package for the c720 that includes:

* Patched synaptics clickpad driver.
* Lxterminal (No insert key on a chromebook, makes rxvt a pain.)
* xvkbd (This used set the media keys in sven.)

* The Fatdog64-700 kernel has ehci and xhci drivers built into the kernel. Unfortunately both drivers claim the same hardware in the c720. This package has this line early in rc.sysinit:

echo -n "0000:00:1d.0" | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci-pci/unbind
Might be better to build a kernel without ehci, which is what I did for the custom c720 Fatdog64-631 build.

* The 3.17 kernel gets the sound cards (analog/hdmi) in the wrong order so this is in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf:

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto vid=8086 pid=9c20
options snd-hda-intel index=1 model=auto vid=8086 pid=0a0c
I recommend using these options on your kernel line:

waitdev=0 i915.modeset=1 i915.semaphores=0 i915.use_mmio_flip=1 i915.enable_ppgtt=1 mem=1950m

The mem=1950m can be dropped if you use the fatdog-split-initrd.sh to create a small initrd and a separate sfs.

The package ishere.
Attachments
touchpad.gz
(80 Bytes) Downloaded 250 times

Sage

#77 Post by Sage »

Just switched over from beta1. Looks really nice and fast, too.
Cannot get BBC iPlayer working on SiS board using the FPs on offer. There is a 64bit FP that does work reliably for the Beeb but can't remember which one - it doesn't seem to be either of the v.11s on offer in this repo.??? Maybe only affects 10% world+dog, but for us it is mission critical. Mint 64 never fails regardless of version number; not sure what they're doing that FD doesn't???

kirk

#78 Post by kirk »

Sage,

We just get the latest Flash player 11.2.x before we make a release. Do try it in Seamonkey too or reinstall Firefox using the package manager. In beta2 we do have some problems with Firefox sharing Seamonkey's libraries and if that's not resolved by the next release we'll have to drop one of them. Adobe discontinued support for Linux a while ago, except for security patches. If you need a current version of Flash then the only option is Google-Chrome, which is in the package manager.

Sage

#79 Post by Sage »

Thanks, kirk. Will do, but may be a couple of days because of commitments and want to run it through a couple of different machines, too. I don't do Intel video cards so it might be useful if the UK Forum member who reported less problems previously could also report in.

OldChap

#80 Post by OldChap »

Just an observation from me (I can hardly be called a beta tester when running 700b2 just with boinc)

lost video on loading... after a bunch of looking at differences between similar rigs found that I had to turn off pcie gen3 in bios and revert to gen2

MB is supermicro x9dai.

For my purposes this is FAST, so thanks to all concerned on this build.