BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

#721 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

perdido

#722 Post by perdido »

Forum member ozsouth compiled the following wireless network driver for Bionicpup32 kernel 4.9.163

Realtek RTL8188FTV

Code: Select all

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:f179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Driver is available in this puppy forum post by ozsouth
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 77#1042577

peebee

#723 Post by peebee »

Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

thinkpadfreak

powerapplet_tray issue

#724 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

I am running Bionicpup32 (+15), and noticed that the battery status reported by powerapplet_tray remains unchanged until X is restarted.

I mean that the percentage shown by the pop-up with the mouse pointer over the battery icon stays the same in spite of the battery discharging.

Two people around me confirm the issue.

Please excuse me if another person has already posted about the issue.

OscarTalks

#725 Post by OscarTalks »

Somebody here asking if SSL support can be added to the ffmpeg configure options.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117488
Oscar in England

s243a

#726 Post by s243a »

The following errors I noticed are misleading:
I tried the latest 32 bit ISO. The "Open as Text" menu option, isn't working for me.

Also: Right clicking on a file and selecting properties (Sometimes) isn't bring up any menu item for me.

The defaulttexteditor menu item also doesn't work when right clicking on a file in rox.
What seems to be happening is if I open a menu item in rox by right clicking on something, then for some reason, I must press the right mouse button again to select the item. I normally would expect the left mouse button to select the item. I can also use enter to select an item.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

peebee

#727 Post by peebee »

For versions up to and including bionicpup32-8.0+15 built on: Fri Nov 22 11:11:02 GMT 2019....

If you wish to download chromium using the 'Get Web Browser' menu item, please run the following command in a terminal:

sed -i 's%chromium%ChromiumUBB%' /usr/bin/lx_sfs_mgr

peebee

#728 Post by peebee »

OscarTalks

#729 Post by OscarTalks »

Abiword 3.0.4 compiled for GTK2 in BionicPup32 in case anyone is interested.
Uploaded for testing to http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

peebee

#730 Post by peebee »

OscarTalks wrote:Abiword 3.0.4 compiled for GTK2 in BionicPup32 in case anyone is interested.
Uploaded for testing to http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Thanks @OT

It seems to have grown from 3.8MB in v3.0.1 to 6MB in v3.0.4.... do we know what we gain from the extra 2.2MB??

OscarTalks

#731 Post by OscarTalks »

Not sure to be honest. If you are looking at the .pet it may be compression that has something to do with it. There are some things in /usr/share/abiword3.0 (especially the strings) which could perhaps be split off as _NLS package but I just left everything in there. In my remasters at home I have removed all the language stuff which I know I will not use.
Oscar in England

peebee

#732 Post by peebee »

May be worth trying to build with the petbuild:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/p ... 42/abiword
??

Mercedes350se

#733 Post by Mercedes350se »

Sorry if this question has been asked but the thread is 49 pages long ...

As regular readers know I have a habit of "fixing things till they break".

I have a frugal install and - somehow - I have managed to get a very clean desktop that I would like to retain.

Usually at this stage I simply copy the savefile, under another name, so that if I do "fix it" it is only a couple of key clicks to restore everything.

However I am unable to do this with BionicPup. There is a directory upupbbsave, which I assume is the save file, but I cannot do anything with it.

Pointers please.

nic007

#734 Post by nic007 »

Mercedes350se wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked but the thread is 49 pages long ...

As regular readers know I have a habit of "fixing things till they break".

I have a frugal install and - somehow - I have managed to get a very clean desktop that I would like to retain.

Usually at this stage I simply copy the savefile, under another name, so that if I do "fix it" it is only a couple of key clicks to restore everything.

However I am unable to do this with BionicPup. There is a directory upupbbsave, which I assume is the save file, but I cannot do anything with it.

Pointers please.
I don't use Bionic but if that folder contains your "savings" it should be easy to backup by right-clicking on the folder and select Packit to save the contents. BTW - if you are indeed running a savefile (and not a savefolder), the savefile should be on your partition somewhere (typically at the location of your other puppy files) and will have either a 2fs, 3fs or 4fs file extension.

Mercedes350se

#735 Post by Mercedes350se »

nic007 wrote: BTW - if you are indeed running a savefile (and not a savefolder), the savefile should be on your partition somewhere (typically at the location of your other puppy files) and will have either a 2fs, 3fs or 4fs file extension.
Thank you - that is certainly a great hint. The upupbbsave does not have any extension. Hmm. I am relatively sure that I created a save file after first boot but maybe not!

If I did a puppy pfix=ram when I booted Bionicpup I should be good to go??? Make sure I create a savefile ..

How do I do this with a frugal install?

EDIT: I doubt this would work anyway. I renamed the upupbbsave and booted but it started without any of my "amendments".

How, then, do I "convert" the save folder, if that is what it is, into a savefile without losing my current setup - given that I seem to be unable to copy the upupbbsave?

musher0

#736 Post by musher0 »

Hi Mercedes.

Go to /initrd and look at directory pup_rw.
If you have a savefile, it will be a regular directory;
if you have a save folder, pup_rw will be a symlink (with an arrow in the mini folder icon).
If it is a save folder, hover your mouse slowly over the pup_rw symlink, and the actual
target directory will be shown.

As to converting a save folder into a save file, I'm not sure there is a sure way to do that.
You could squash it into an adrv sfs or a ydrv sfs. (If you have none of those, the file
name doesn't matter, actually.) That should be ok. And then create a new pupsave file
upon reboot.

In any case, do as nic007 suggests and back up you current save folder with PackIT.

I say "I'm not sure there is a sure way to do that", because it can be attempted, but
it's iffy.

First, size your save folder with

du -h /initrd/pup_rw
Total size will be on the last line of the listing.

Then reboot with pfix=ram.
Create a pupsave 1.5 times the size of your save folder, to make sure you have
enough room in it to accommodate all the contents of your save folder.

Reboot with your new pupsave file.
What you need to do now is copy the sub-directories in your save folder into your
running Pup.
The sub-dirs individually, not the entire thing at once, that will cause you problems:
Puppy does not like a copy to /.

When finished, say a prayer and reboot! As I said, it's iffy: it may work -- or not.
(I had various results.)

Anyone else with this type of experience, please chip in? TIA.

Keep us posted?

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mercedes350se

#737 Post by Mercedes350se »

musher0,
Thanks for the extended tips.

However it "seems" that all is necessary is to rename upupbbsave to upupbbsave.2fs

I have a bit of cleaning up to do but so far so good. Another reboot will tell ...

EDIT: Euphoria was short lived. I still cannot copy it.
EDIT2: I thought "OK. What if I convert upupbbsave to a SFS and then rename the result to upupbbsave.2fs, rename upupbbsave to ,say, old_upupbbsave and reboot?" Short answer - doesn't work.

rcrsn51

#738 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr

#739 Post by mikeslr »

Boot with your current SaveFolder. Then, either

Replace your savefile/folder with an sfs storage file, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 470#944470

or

or nicOS-Save2SFS - Saves system changes, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 28#1040928

The first was tested with SaveFolders. As yet, I have only scanned the 2nd thread.

Edit: Just reviewed http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 28#1040928. This is probably what you want: the following isn't necessary if you use this app.

Then, renamed the adrv as a SaveFile. Or don't, but rather --better-- use Bionic32 as nic007 envisioned: with a static adrv and only a small SaveFile to reflect settings and customizations. Perhaps best name the new file ydrv as some devs publish additional software as an adrv. I don't recall if peebee does that with BionicPup32.

Mercedes350se

#740 Post by Mercedes350se »

Thank you musher0, rcrsn51 and mikeslr

I seem to now be able to "sort of" do what i want. I used the nic007 method described in this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 12#1041812

I now have a ydrv....sfs that I can copy but still have a small save file that presumably will contain future changes I make.

Thinking about the above sentence am I correct in thinking that the ydrv....sfs will remain static and any changes will be contained in the save file?