tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Johnnyboy

No Icons and blank menus

#741 Post by Johnnyboy »

I have been trying to use tahr64 on my new laptop but after the desktop appears I have no icons and any menus are all blank white boxes. I have varified the download checksum and used Unibootin on windows to put the iso onto usb (which I have used succesfully for ages).My laptop is a fujitsu a555 i3-with intel HD5500, and 4gb ram. USB is sandisk ultra fit 16gb usb3.

I have used tahrpup on my old machine for some time and wanted to try the 64bit varient.

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks
John
Last edited by Johnnyboy on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

666philb

#742 Post by 666philb »

Brown Mouse wrote:All looking good so far except for the CPU temperature icon that was all working in 6.0.5.3 seems to be missing.

Thanks for your hard work Phil,much appreciated.
the cpu temp icon (pmcputemp) is installed but disabled as it doesn't work on some computers.
look in /root/Startup/disabled and move pmcputemp1 to the Startup folder that's in the same directory
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#743 Post by 666philb »

prehistoric wrote:I've now succeeded in my battle with the nvidia 304.134 driver for Tahrpup64 6.0.6. (Thanks phil!) Until phil incorporates this in quickpet you can download the .pet created from my folder on smokey01's site.
hi prehistoric,

i think that there may be a problem with your 3.0.4 driver .pet, it's only 5.6mb where as they are usually 60mb+.

if you're up for it, could you grab one of tahrpups nvidia.pets & extract it.
then using this as a template click on your savefile/folder and grab all the installed nvidia stuff (note that there may be extra stuff that's not in the .pet but it's usually pretty obvious).

cheers
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

prehistoric

#744 Post by prehistoric »

@666philb

You're right phil, no idea of how that happened. There was plenty of room for confusion in switching systems multiple times and moving files.

I'm going to make another attempt to build this from scratch, and see if that creates a good .pet before I try to roll my own.

Brown Mouse

#745 Post by Brown Mouse »

666philb wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:All looking good so far except for the CPU temperature icon that was all working in 6.0.5.3 seems to be missing.

Thanks for your hard work Phil,much appreciated.
the cpu temp icon (pmcputemp) is installed but disabled as it doesn't work on some computers.
look in /root/Startup/disabled and move pmcputemp1 to the Startup folder that's in the same directory
Cheers Phil that did the trick :)

sheldonisaac

Re: tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

#746 Post by sheldonisaac »

666philb In part) wrote: this is tahrpup64 6.0.5 built with 64bit ubuntu 14.04 trusty tahr libs, using woof.C.E

kernel 3.14.54

------------------------------
a 32bit compatibilty.sfs is available which allows tahrpup64 to run skype, steam and various other 32bit packages. to install type sfsget into a terminal. once loaded type ldconfig into a terminal and you're set to go. (if you want to install proprietary graphic drivers please install the 32-compatibilty.sfs first)
Hi, first time with tahrpup64

What does the below mean? Thank you.

Code: Select all

root# ldconfig 
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so and libpng.so.0 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.0 and libpng.so.2.1.0.8 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.2.1.0.8 and libpng.so.3 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.3 and libpng.so.3.22.0 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.3.22.0 and libpng12.so.0.22.0 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng12.so.0.22.0 and libpng12.so.0.50.0 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng12.so.0.50.0 and libpng12.so.2 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

corvus

Re: No Icons and blank menus

#747 Post by corvus »

@Johnnyboy
I have an ASUS A555L notebook with hybrid video card and I had the same problem, solved using xorgwizard and choosing modesetting video driver.
Hope this helps.

@666philb
I'm using tahrpup 6.0.5 CE on my old Fujitsu Amilo A 7620 and tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE on the last, above mentioned, notebook. I want to say you Grazie Mille (Thank you so much) for your work and effort.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

Johnnyboy

#748 Post by Johnnyboy »

@corvus

Thank you- my icons and menus are back.

prehistoric

#749 Post by prehistoric »

@666philb

Well, the 32-bit pet built by the nvidia .run file works, even though it is only about 30 MB., but something strange is going on with the 64-bit version.

I'm thoroughly nonplussed by a 15 MB .ko module in a pet said to have less data. Still no idea how that happened.

It appears nvidia has broken the driver up into several modules, some kernel and some in user space. It has also created a new nvidia framebuffer module. This has defeated the getnvidia script attempting to build .pets and sfs.

I'm still poking around and finding things in the 64-bit installation that works, compared to the .pet that does not. You can still get there by compiling the .run script, after you blacklist nouveau.

I must correct earlier confusion, which started when I was doing this on Fatdog 710, which is a very different build. The boot message there about loading nouveau early still appears after that module is blacklisted on the kernel boot line. It is lying. No such problem happens in Tahrpup606. You can use the system boot loader GUI to blacklist nouveau and have it really happen. I was confused, and edited the wrong file in an attempt to force matters.

Getting a 64-bit .pet for this driver will take a little longer.

Billtoo

tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

#750 Post by Billtoo »

Installing kpat and the rest of the kdegames breaks the passwd command, it's be like this over several versions both 32 and 64 bit.

root# passwd root
passwd: pam_start() failed, error 26
root#

It works okay before installing kpat.

mavrothal

#751 Post by mavrothal »

I probably overwrites some file :roll:
You might want to uninstall one dependency at a time and check passwd to see which one is the culprit. (kpat takes painfully long to install :wink: )
Alternatively load devx, run "strace passwd" and see if it is clear where the problem is (or post the strace output here)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

666philb

#752 Post by 666philb »

Billtoo wrote:Installing kpat and the rest of the kdegames breaks the passwd command, it's be like this over several versions both 32 and 64 bit.

root# passwd root
passwd: pam_start() failed, error 26
root#

It works okay before installing kpat.
it's probably systemd so uninstall any systemd stuff....... then open /root/.packages/PKGS_MANAGEMENT and edit line 93 to

PKG_NAME_IGNORE="libudev1 udev xkb-data systemd* ${PKG_NAME_IGNORE}"
this should stop it installing

Billtoo

#753 Post by Billtoo »

666philb wrote:
it's probably systemd so uninstall any systemd stuff....... then open /root/.packages/PKGS_MANAGEMENT and edit line 93 to

PKG_NAME_IGNORE="libudev1 udev xkb-data systemd* ${PKG_NAME_IGNORE}"
this should stop it installing
I changed line 93 and then deleted all the systemd stuff that I found in PPM along with some dependencies.
The passwd command works again now:

root# passwd root
Changing password for root
New password:

did ctrl c to abort it.

@mavrothal
When I run strace now there don't seem to be any errors, nothing obvious to me at least :)

Thanks.

Will an edited line 93 in the next build solve it forever?

666philb

#754 Post by 666philb »

it should do.., it'll also stop some other systemd shenanigans

thinkpadfreak

tahrpup64

#755 Post by thinkpadfreak »

I use tahrpup64 6.0.5 and have been trying 6.0.6 recently.

I noticed that flsynclient fails to load its setting at reboot.
This annoys me and I wrote a script like "flsynclient -s" and put it in the Startup folder.

Another thing I noticed was that something was wrong with puppyinstaller (script). See the attached image. "internal adaptor" is strange. This may be due to some kind of mistake in the script.

I would appreciate it if these would be improved.
Attachments
capture11238.png
(48.73 KiB) Downloaded 1327 times

Snail

flsynclient settings

#756 Post by Snail »

As thinkpadfreak notes, this problem has been here since 6.05. i reported it some time ago.

Johnnyboy

#757 Post by Johnnyboy »

When I run xorgwizard I have 2 options:-

Intel -needs KMS
modesetting

I currently have to use modesetting or my desktop gets corrupted- but how do I know the status of KMS on my system? I would like to utilise my graphics card.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

bigpup

#758 Post by bigpup »

modesetting should be using your graphics card.

Menu->System->Pup-Sysinfo->Devices->Display->Video info.
This should tell you what is being used.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Johnnyboy

#759 Post by Johnnyboy »

Thanks bigpup.

Brown Mouse

#760 Post by Brown Mouse »

I've noticed after several hours of testing that random SD cards and USB storage devices are not recognised in Tahr 6.0.6. 64 bit version.

Please see this thread.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109756