Midnight Sun Pup 002 with 2.6.35.7 and 003 with 2.6.38.4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#76 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of 002 on the main Linux box (Athlon XP).No problems....everything looking good. :)

jim3630

#77 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. I dont know about your problem. I will test with Midnight Sun Pup 002. .....................................
Sfs_load-1.1 has bug in /etc/init.d/sfs_load script. It affects loading of usb media.
The bug has been there all the time, but it was found recently and posted in another thread. I made a fixed pet for it to use it in the woof.
You can load the whole pet or extract it and replace only that above script.
The problem affects all my earlier Puppies and all self installed Sfs_load-.1.1-pet installations.
Pemasu, actually not my problem. I install to usb only since your earlier problems with usb installs. This in part lead to my earlier discovery of problems with the universal installer. My main use is hdd instsall.

pemasu

#78 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Yup, I tested that Universal Installer detects my partitions and that step was fine. I havent tried usb installing yet. But the detection was fine.

pemasu

#79 Post by pemasu »

Thunor has investigated the Partview quit button problem and found the reason. It was glade bug and has been fixed. I wait for the next release of the code.

I will include it to the next Midnight Sun Pup, which will be 2.6.38.4 kernel with intel atom optimization with highmem+pae and has of course automatic process scheduler enabled.

pemasu

#80 Post by pemasu »

Sfsget has been fixed in new woof. Great. Now I just have to start using that woof and make all the needed modifications. Or just grab the changed scripts to the previous woof, since downloading all the stuff is not reliable right now. Lets see.

Iguleder

#81 Post by Iguleder »

Hey pemasu, I'm doing a nice experiment you might be interested in.

At the moment I'm building a cross toolchain (i686 to x86_64) so I can build a x86_64 flavor of the awesome linux_kernel-2.6.32-42-lts.

I want to build a 32-bit Puppy with a 64-bit kernel, that's what the Tiny Core guys do and it works well for them - you get 64-bit math, 64-bit drivers, support for more than 4 GB of memory, and all this goodness without sacrificing compatibility.

Another interesting thing about this trick is the ability to run 64-bit stuff. Just think of it - you build a Debian chroot environment with debootstrap, which contains Debian's 64-bit GCC, then build all Puppy's 32-bit only packages for 64 and gain the ability to build an entirely 64-bit Puppy :D
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

smokey01

#82 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu wrote:Thunor has investigated the Partview quit button problem and found the reason. It was glade bug and has been fixed. I wait for the next release of the code.

I will include it to the next Midnight Sun Pup, which will be 2.6.38.4 kernel with intel atom optimization with highmem+pae and has of course automatic process scheduler enabled.
Excellent.

I like being able to use all of my memory with highmem+pae

Thanks

smokey01

#83 Post by smokey01 »

Iguleder wrote:Hey pemasu, I'm doing a nice experiment you might be interested in.

At the moment I'm building a cross toolchain (i686 to x86_64) so I can build a x86_64 flavor of the awesome linux_kernel-2.6.32-42-lts.

I want to build a 32-bit Puppy with a 64-bit kernel, that's what the Tiny Core guys do and it works well for them - you get 64-bit math, 64-bit drivers, support for more than 4 GB of memory, and all this goodness without sacrificing compatibility.

Another interesting thing about this trick is the ability to run 64-bit stuff. Just think of it - you build a Debian chroot environment with debootstrap, which contains Debian's 64-bit GCC, then build all Puppy's 32-bit only packages for 64 and gain the ability to build an entirely 64-bit Puppy :D
WOW that sounds interesting.

Ray MK

#84 Post by Ray MK »

More than interesting - can't wait.

Iguleder

#85 Post by Iguleder »

Wow, it worked out of the box! Built my famous 2.6.32-lts on a Debian testing chroot environment with GCC 4.6.x and it worked flawlessly!

About the same RAM usage, 4GB+ support, the ability to run 64-bit stuff and I think it also boots a 'lil bit faster 8)

EDIT: I took EZ-Woof, I'm trying to build an exact replica of 5.2.5, but for x86_64 (with a 32-bit glibc just for some traditional Puppy packages) and this wonderful kernel :)
Attachments
x86_64.jpg
(160.32 KiB) Downloaded 495 times

pemasu

#86 Post by pemasu »

Iguleder. It sounds really great what you experimenting now. If I understood right, you have 64 bit kernel which 32 bit and 64 bit apps can utilize. I have to digest little longer before I truly understand what you have done.
2.6.32 kernel is unfortunately too old for my hw and newer comps and their devices also suffer that old kernel.
2.6.38 kernel would be nice. It has natively support for newer hw and also compiling missing stuff is quite easy.
With 2.6.32 there just isnt support for newer drivers anymore.
It sounds like I am making wishlist already, lol.
I volunteer to test your stuff, as always.

Lobster has hard time to keep up with your productivity to puppy linux community and change his sigu accordingly.

Cheers. Keep us informed in the future also....

Iguleder

#87 Post by Iguleder »

Let me explain this trick, so it becomes clearer: if you use a 64-bit kernel, you can use both 32-bit and 64-bit packages, as long as you have the required dependencies and zero conflicts between them.

If you want to use this for Midnight Sun, just take any 64-bit live distro, install GCC, Make and Perl. Then compile a kernel in the traditional Puppy way (except two changes - the .config and the bzImage path). I just took my configuration file and changed from x86 and i486 to x86_64 and generic optimizations, plus the IA32 emulation, which is needed for 32-bit compatibility. Then I ran my build script ... and that's it :D

I think its better than a 32-bit, PAE-enabled kernel, since this is the real thing. Machines with 512MB - 1 GB of RAM can be 32-bit only, but those that have at least 1 GB should be 64-bit capable. You don't get the traditional PAE instability issues - only the good stuff 64-bit offers :)

smokey01

#88 Post by smokey01 »

Iguleder wrote: I think its better than a 32-bit, PAE-enabled kernel, since this is the real thing. Machines with 512MB - 1 GB of RAM can be 32-bit only, but those that have at least 1 GB should be 64-bit capable. You don't get the traditional PAE instability issues - only the good stuff 64-bit offers :)
So I guess the 64 million dollar question is:

Could you do the same thing with the later kernel that pemasu is using?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iguleder

#89 Post by Iguleder »

Any kernel.

:D

EDIT: btw, I noticed one problem, only one! When you attempt to compile stuff, uname reports you're running x86_64 while all userland is x86, so i686-something-linux-gnu is not seen as the compiler to use. To solve these problems: I moved /bin/uname to /bin/uname-orig and used this as /bin/uname:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
uname-orig $@ | sed s/x86_64/i686/g

pemasu

#90 Post by pemasu »

Posting now from Midnight Sun Pup 003. I decided to download whole ubuntu packages during the night and I made inspection through libs. I shaved 3 Mb from the iso from not needed stuff I found. Remnants of my testing which I had left to the woof. Kernel is now 2.6.38-4 intel atom optimization with highmem+pae.
Gnome-mplayer and gecko-mediaplayer now version 1.04. Yad updated.
I will check the gtkdialog latest code if it works now with partview quit button. I suppose the fix is now in the repo now.
I will make the real uploadable version soon.
This uses the latest woof, so it will have Barrys latest woof scripts.

pemasu

#91 Post by pemasu »

We were today at the annual market place happening. There were wobbler seller to whom I had sent last year my taken picture of my 10 year old son with 3 kg pike perch which has been taken by the seller's wobbler at the same night.

The picture was in his best pics catalog, where was pics of big fishes taken by his wobblers. The seller told that picture was one of the best in his catalog.
My son's name was under the picture and he was little proud. The parents and grandparents were prouder.
We got good discount from the wobblers we bought this year.

nooby

#92 Post by nooby »

My late Dad would have loved to be with you guys catching that big one.
He loved to go fishing and he had hundreds of wobblers and other such to get the big ones.
He also loved to sit on the ice and get fish through a hole he bored.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#93 Post by stu90 »

Hi pemasu,
thank you for sharing your pictures - it looks like you have some beautiful surroundings in your part of the world - That fish looks half as long as your son is tall, i bet the fish put up a good fight for him. 8)

Iguleder

#94 Post by Iguleder »

Hey pemasu - after using the 64-bit kernel with 5.2.5 for some time I reached the conclusion I like it a lot.

Also, I got Puppizard to build E17 from SVN automatically and it works flawlessly on Puppy - I just needed a small tweak in restartwm/xwin/etc' (similar to Barry's tweak for Xfce that kills xfce4-panel) and a Puppy menu for E17.

I think I'm gonna build the first "hybrid" Puppy - start from a 5.2.5 as you did, transplant the x86_64 kernel and add E17 on top ... That would be ... MidnightSolarMacLucidPup :lol:

I really like your work and I'd like to contribute - if there's anything I make that can be useful for you, be sure I'll upload it :)

EDIT: forgot to mention. I'm running this hybrid beast with about 50 MB of fonts installed, aterm (1/3 the size of rxvt-unicode and better), Opera 11.50 (faster than 11.0, best browser I've used) and this week's build of E17 :wink:
Attachments
screeny.jpg
(116.79 KiB) Downloaded 353 times

pemasu

#95 Post by pemasu »

Iguleder. Your plan sounds still fascinating. I like that you will try with Ubuntu based build. I am surely gonna test your build.
Ubuntu base is great when compiling. You get needed dev libs straight from the repo. No need to hunt them down.
Well...squeeze would be as fine.

But your tests can easily start new era in Puppy builds. I wait your first test result and upload eagerly.
About windowmanager, I am conservative with my needs as you have seen. What is under the hood interests me more.

About your contributes. I learn all the time something new just by reading and testing your stuff. Your kernel builder is great. I have used it to build my latest 2.6.38 kernels. And I have tested your PUR compiler also. Great stuff. Keep them coming.