Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sindi

Lucid Puppy to the rescue - works with orinoco mini-PCI card

#761 Post by sindi »

I use the latest Lucid with Frisbee because it has gone online with wifi cards in a 2008 HP netbook, a 2005 HP laptop, and
now a 2003 DELL laptop with orinoco_cs. Both Tahr and Wary find the card and install the module and detect our signal but
cannot connect. I tried both WPA (the first two cards) and WEP (third card) but not unencrypted signal. Lupu is the best
for newer old computers (post 1997 anyway).

The Inspiron 5100 works perfectly with linux apart from the wifi problem in inferior versions of Puppy ;=).
Sound, ATI video, proper shutdown.

My 2001 Inspiron 8100 has what someone called the best laptop keyboard made It is also cooler and quieter (fan only runs
part-time), and has a higher resolution screen (1400 vs 1024). The 8100 cost about $3500 in 2001 and the 5100 only about
$1500 in 2003. It was free because of the keyboard problem. I have a dead 8000 that cost $4000 in 2000 and may only need
the DC board reseated.

The 5100 keyboard failed (sssssssssssss) as did one from a 5150. Very common problem on both models. An older Inspiron
1100 keyboard works. The 5100 is a space heater. Makes a good DVD player.

The 8100 will be perfect with SSE Palemoon.

SSE2 palemoon on the 5100 boots in 2 seconds. Seamonkey 2.46 took 13 seconds. Yippee!

Palemoon is very slow to find add-ons. 'Loading' for over a minute each time and could not find script or noscript. It
plays a Youtube video at 360p, very slightly jerky. I can't compare html5 and flash without an add-on. Some videos won't
play at all. Alt-F puts me full-screen instead of in the File menu. Alt-E works.

Seamonkey with default html5 loads youtube site much more slowly and uses up to 98% of CPU to play a 360p video. Very
slow to respond to choosing settings or getting out of full screen. Palemoon uses 10-15% less.

With flash 11.2 and Youtube Flash Video Player (instead of html5) it uses 37% of CPU.

Palemoon SSE ought to be usable with Palemoon/Flash on the 8100. html5/Seamonkey is not.

Youtube Flash Video Player won't install on the 8100 with Seamonkey - says it appears to be corrupt.

smtube plays the same video (and others) as a solid blue screen with sound using Lucid's mplayer. An older mplayer
(uclibc) did not work at all.

Smtube works on the 8100.

2003 is a good target year for Lucid/Palemoon with 512MB.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/puppy/acpitool and a few other useful things. kl script wipes out ROX and other unused things
to free up memory. (I left cupsd). lw is our local weather.

greengeek

Re: Lucid Puppy to the rescue - works with orinoco mini-PCI card

#762 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:The Inspiron 5100 works perfectly with linux apart from the wifi problem in inferior versions of Puppy ;=)..
Hi sindi - can you elaborate what you mean about the wifi problem in inferior versions of puppy? cheers!

Les Kerf

Re: Suspend to RAM in Lucid?

#763 Post by Les Kerf »

Les Kerf wrote:I am running lupusuper4plus from a USB thumb drive on a 2009 iMac with mostly good success.

I have done quite a bit of searching over the past week, trying to find a way to get this system to go to sleep (suspend) rather than doing a full shutdown.

There seems to be plenty of options for laptops, but very little for a desktop unit.

It seems to me that there should be a way, as the hardware certainly allows this when operating from OSX.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Les
Perhaps I should re-post this in the Users section for more exposure.

sindi

#764 Post by sindi »

[quote="Les Kerf"][quote="Les Kerf"]I am running lupusuper4plus from a USB thumb drive on a 2009 iMac with mostly good success.

I have done quite a bit of searching over the past week, trying to find a way to get this system to go to sleep (suspend) rather than doing a full shutdown.

There seems to be plenty of options for laptops, but very little for a desktop unit.

It seems to me that there should be a way, as the hardware certainly allows this when operating from OSX.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Les[/quote]

Perhaps I should re-post this in the Users section for more exposure.[/quote]

There is an entire discussion about acpitool. I am back to using lupu because it works with acpitool.

acpitool -s works with lupu on all the laptops I have tested but it gives the same result that you describe with
Precise, Slacko or Tahr. Our newish (2008?) PC desktop with Tahr Puppy will suspend if you tap the power button, but not with acpitool.

Perhaps your iMac hardware is the problem? Does acpitool work from your thumb drive in a PC?

sindi

Re: Lucid Puppy to the rescue - works with orinoco mini-PCI card

#765 Post by sindi »

[quote="greengeek"][quote="sindi"]The Inspiron 5100 works perfectly with linux apart from the wifi problem in inferior versions of Puppy ;=)..[/quote]Hi sindi - can you elaborate what you mean about the wifi problem in inferior versions of puppy? cheers![/quote]

By inferior I meant Wary and Tahr, neither of which work on my 2003 Dell Inspiron 5100 with an orinoco_cs wifi card.
I tried all possible network wizards in both of them.

In Lupu 2016 Frisbee worked but Doug's Network Wizard starts up then disappears (when I try to scan?). Simple Network Wizard times out trying to connect
after finding a signal. Our router is set to WEP (to use with old PDAs and bridges). .

When I switched to a WPA2-capable ipw2200 mini-PCI card (which is identified as Socket 0 pcmcia) it stayed connected. I then tried the first two wizards
again and they failed again. Frisbee worked after I deleted the old profile (static).

Frisbee does not as far as I know identify the module used.

I don't want to repeat these tests because I think it messes things up and I have to run Frisbee again.

Other linux users had problems with these mini-PCI cards which identify as PCMCIA (last made around 2005 with WPA2 support, but in 2003 only WEP).
They have poor reception - mine finds 1-2 signals instead of the 6-8 found by new laptops.

So far Lupu 2016 has worked on every computer with an i686 cpu including PIII (not on a PII, where Wary did work).
Tahr kernel-panicked at least one.

On two older PIIIs (which have stopped working) I think I used Wary because of sound drivers,
but the new Lupu might have worked (and besides sound died on both)

Lupu latest with the 2.6 kernel seems ideal - supports old hardware and also new software (browsers).
Rerwin is amazing!

Les Kerf

#766 Post by Les Kerf »

sindi wrote:
... Does acpitool work from your thumb drive in a PC?
I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the suggestion.

I just now tried it on an HP desktop PC and it does not work, I get the same output:

# acpitool -s
Function Do_Suspend : could not open file : /proc/acpi/sleep.
You must have write access to /proc/acpi/sleep to suspend your computer.

It would seem that in order to have write access to /proc/acpi/sleep I would first need to have /proc/acpi/sleep, which doesn't seem to exist.

Thanks for the help,
Les

sindi

acpitool in lucid 2016

#767 Post by sindi »

I got similar results using Slacko, Precise, and Tahr, all with kernel 3. Have you tried a 2.6 kernel version of lupu?
I tested just now with my 2.6 kernel on a 2003 laptop and it suspends every time, but when I press the power button to wake it up the fan starts running but the screen
stays black. Someone else mentioned that problem in another forum topic.

acpitool worked on a 2009 Compaq laptop, a 2005 HP laptop, a 2008 HP netbook, and I think a 2008 HP netbook, with lupu 2016. Never with newer Puppies.

corvus

#768 Post by corvus »

I'm trying Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 on a 12 years old Fujitsu Siemens laptop and it works well, the only issue I have is that PPM takes almost three minutes to appear using 100% of the cpu. :?

Is there an openssl update to the latest version released January 26?

Thank you all for the effort and time that you are spending in this project. :D

Greetings.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

watchdog

#769 Post by watchdog »

corvus wrote:I'm trying Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 on a 12 years old Fujitsu Siemens laptop and it works well, the only issue I have is that PPM takes almost three minutes to appear using 100% of the cpu. :?
Same here.
Is there an openssl update to the latest version released January 26?
Read:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 519#739519

corvus

#770 Post by corvus »

Thanks for the link watchdog but it isn't the latest:
rerwin wrote:Here are packages that can be added to the 2016 Lucid puppies:
Regards.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

watchdog

#771 Post by watchdog »

corvus wrote:Thanks for the link watchdog but it isn't the latest:
rerwin wrote:Here are packages that can be added to the 2016 Lucid puppies:
You are referring to a moderate issue:

https://www.openssl.org/news/secadv/20170126.txt

I think you can ignore this update but I'll compile in wary openssl-1.0.2k in my spare time.

keniv

#772 Post by keniv »

@ watchdog
but I'll compile in wary openssl-1.0.2k in my spare time.
I'd be interested in this as well.

Regards,

Ken.

watchdog

#773 Post by watchdog »

@keniv and @corvus

I have compiled it:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 149#941149

keniv

#774 Post by keniv »

Thanks watchdog,
Am downloading now.

Ken.

rerwin

Quickpet download of nVidia drivers upgraded

#775 Post by rerwin »

prehistoric wrote:I would not recommend including all these possible drivers with the standard Lupu release, but it might be possible to make recommendations based on the results of hardware analysis and the kernel in use. If the files are at stable locations on the Internet, you could even offer to download the correct one. Older hardware is not going to change requirements.
. . .
Installing a recommended driver should be easier than having people compile drivers from source, which is what you do when really at the point where all else fails.
Several people have asked about fixing the Quickpet driver download feature, over the years. I finally looked into that and resolved it for the nVidia drivers.

Peebee copied all 13 of the nVidia packages from my MediaFire account into the Lucid official repository, along with an updated Package list. Thank you, peebee. I updated the graphix-test script to recognize the new package names. For now, I am attaching a "fix" package for use until the next release of Lucid.

During installation, the updated Package list will be downloaded if there is an active internet connection. Otherwise, the download will fail, but the fix will install OK. To update the list later, click on the quickpet icon, then on "More Pets", then on "Update Lupu PPM".

Thanks to all who have been requesting this upgrade.
Richard
Attachments
Quickpet_Fix_for_nVidia_video-20170130.pet
Makes more nVidia proprietary video drivers available through Quickpet.
Automatically downloads the updated Package list during installation.
(12.9 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

Pelo

PPM Lucid includes Fotowall

#776 Post by Pelo »

Fotowall is an application which makes me regret not to use more PPM Lucid.. This application seems deleted from newest Puppies PPM .
would be available in Quirky too, see topic
After deeper check Fotowall would cost you 110MB in Quirky.
RSH Has an SFS available (for Lazy Puppy, but should work on all Lucids)
Attachments
triPhotos.jpg
(76.27 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

corvus

How to run browser as user spot?

#777 Post by corvus »

I have tried with:
"su spot -c seamokey" it show me the following error "Unable to load the SeaMonkey profile. The profile is missing or inaccessible" and seamonkey doesn't start.
Using run-as-spot script: "run-as-spot seamonkey" shows the error "No D-BUS daemon running", in this case seamonkey starts but when I close it my "spot" profile is not saved and the error is shown continuously.
Also tried Lobster's GROWL and 01micko's browsesafe with the same result as above.
Installed dbus-1.2.4.2permissive-1-w5.pet and dbus-glib-0.82-w5.pet but nothing. :(
Any help will be much appreciated.

With kind regards. :)

watchdog

#778 Post by watchdog »

@corvus

I have copied in /usr/sbin the script run-as-spot from slacko 6.3.2 and I'm now writing with my seamonkey2.46-en_US-w5-glib219tweak running it as spot:

Code: Select all

run-as-spot seamonkey2.46

corvus

Lavori in corso

#779 Post by corvus »

@watchdog
Just did a fresh install of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7.
Installed dbus-1.2.4.2permissive-1-w5.pet, dbus-glib-0.82-w5.pet and seamonkey2.46-en_US-w5-glibc219tweak.pet, copied in /usr/sbin run-as-spot script from slacko 6.3.2, launched via terminal:

Code: Select all

# run-as-spot seamonkey2.46

(seamonkey:12988): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session
Greetings.

LazY Puppy

#780 Post by LazY Puppy »

Fotowall is an application which makes me regret not to use more PPM Lucid.. This application seems deleted from newest Puppies PPM.
Actually Fotowall 0.9-11 is available by PPM in Tahr Puppy.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink: