tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE

Please post any bugs you have found
rerwin

Tahr Update to too-small tahrsave 4fs file may damage files

#761 Post by rerwin »

I booted tahrpup (32-bit) 6.0.5 into a 96 MB tahrsave...4fs file last used under tahrpup-6.0.2 (successfully) and ran quickpet to get the Tahrpup updates. That seemed to go well but confused me with multiple windows. One referred to updating "glibc" and warning of a risk. The other (yellow) seemed to acknowledge that the update completed, after the progress window closed. I clicked on that window and both disappeared, so that I did not actually read the "glibc" window at that time.

Curious to see what that window was about, I ran quickpet again, which reran the update progress window again. This time, I looked at the "glibc" window and told it to update the "glibc" file. Then it hung with the "processing" splash displayed. I noticed then that my pupsave space was down to 1 MB! When I right-clicked on the "personal storage"tray icon, it disappeared. I tried the "Resize" menu entry, which did not respond. So I powered down with the PC's power button.

I had begun with 5 pupsave files (all 4fs) and was running #3 in the list. During the reboot, I was offered only the first 2 of the set! Using the second of those (64 MB), I booted and immediately resized it (to 128 MB) and did not update it. I displayed the tahrpup directory and found that the name of the file that I quickpet-updated is renamed with a substitute character of hex E80C (instead of the "h" in tahrsave...). Two other files (4 and 5 in the list of 5) are missing altogether. Even more alarming, though, is that 2 other files, tahr64saves, also have their names modified, one with "E80C" and the other with "E80B" -- for different letters in different positions within the file names.

When I attempt to rename the damaged file names, I get:

Code: Select all

root# mv ta?rsave-602test3.4fs tahrsave-602test3.4fs
mv: cannot move ‘tarsave-602test3.4fs’ to ‘tahrsave-602test3.4fs’: Input/output error
root# 
So I fear I have lost all of the renamed files, too.

To possibly confound things, the tahrpup directory resides in an NTFS partition. But I have not used windows on it for a long time. Attached is a screeny of the directory.

For now, I think I will go back to using 2fs savefiles, since I think I have seen some concerns about 4fs. I hope that is not a factor. But I wonder if the quickpet update process might be ignoring (or not seeing) an out-of-memory condition and writing outside of the pupsave file.

(later) Now I know what is meant by the gliibc update possibly damaging puppy. But this goes beyond the current puppy and affects other files, too..

Update 8/22/16: After running XP to check for damage to the NTFS partition, I found that the names have been returned to the correct characters, even though the checker reported no errors.
Attachments
capture3334.png
My tahrpup directory with modified file names
(86.08 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 23 Aug 2016, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

foxpup

i686

#762 Post by foxpup »

I am not sure this is a bug.

I replaced avconv with ffmpeg in Tahr and looked to remove libav... but found these libs twice:
once in /usr/lib/ and once in /usr/lib/i686/cmov.
They are all identical - are they really identical? - except for libavcodec.so.54.35.0
What is the meaning of these doubles?

Under /usr/lib/i686 is also a map /sse2/ and under /usr/lib/ likewise.

Sailor Enceladus

Re: i686

#763 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

foxpup wrote:I am not sure this is a bug.

I replaced avconv with ffmpeg in Tahr and looked to remove libav... but found these libs twice:
once in /usr/lib/ and once in /usr/lib/i686/cmov.
They are all identical - are they really identical? - except for libavcodec.so.54.35.0
What is the meaning of these doubles?

Under /usr/lib/i686 is also a map /sse2/ and under /usr/lib/ likewise.
There's a program called cmp (that comes with diffutils) that you can compare if the files are indeed exactly the same. You can use it like this in the terminal: cmp /usr/lib/filename /usr/lib/i686/cmov/filename

If they are different, it will tell you the first byte that is different (with -l appended to the end it will tell you all of them), and if they are exactly the same it will display nothing. For some strange reason, it only seems to let you see the results in Octal instead of Hex or Dec though. Probably not really the answer you're looking for but it's something to try if you're bored. :lol:

foxpup

#764 Post by foxpup »

Ahoi Sailor

I can also use md5sum, which is in every OS, to check.

But indeed, I am looking for an explanation for these doubles. I do have some idee:
sse2 and cmov are flags of a CPU and indicate capabilities to read and work with some instruction sets. SSE2 and CMOV were introduced in i686 CPU's, I guess. My CPU is an i686 and has CMOV but not SSE2, only SSE.
So I think these double sets of libs have to be there because of different CPU's. But one can probably erase the libs that do not match one's CPU capabilities. So, in my case I can erase all libs under SSE2, keep the libs under CMOV and erase the doubles of the CMOV libs.
Am I right? Can someone confirm?

B.K. Johnson

#765 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@666philb
When my tahr-6.0.2/6.0.3 was updated to 6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM, the following file was left in /home/tahr-6.0.2:
tahrsave-602.2fs.BKP-16.04.13-12.46
Can it be safely deleted now?
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

LazY Puppy

#766 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Please, have a look here and at the 2 posts below there.

Thanks.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

666philb

Re: pmcputemp error messages on tahr64

#767 Post by 666philb »

rerwin wrote:Whenever I run tahr64 6.0.5 on my early model AMD 64 cpu PC, the xerrs.log files shows a repeated error message:

(pmcputemp:7387): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
The tray cpu temperature icon space is empty. If I right-click that space and select "Quit", the message repetition stops.

I am surprised that this has not been reported already.

In 01micko's pmcputemp thread, an i686 version on pmcputemp is offered, but no mention of an X64 version. Is version 0.63 in tahr64 actually a 64-bit version of pmcputemp?
Richard
yes i'm wondering whether we should keep this in or not.... i like it but it does have a tendency to fill /tmp/xerrs.log with error messages
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

Re: pwallpaper is missing from tahrpup 6.0.5

#768 Post by 666philb »

abhishek-kumar wrote:pwallpaper is missing from tahrpup 6.0.5 , I used the binary from the older version ( 6.0.2 ) to set my wallpaper. Please give a proper fix for this. Also where are the other fixes ?? I only got tahrfix8.
hi abhishek-kumar, you can find the wallpaper setter in menu>>desktop>>JWMDesk

tahrfix8 is the latest and new bugfixes are added to it cumulatively quickpet>>help>>installed bugfixes to see all fixes so far.

also qtcreator is working for me.... i've deleted one of the qt5.sfs's from the repo as it shouldn't have been there, give this one a try http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 1-i386.sfs note that installs to /opt
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

Re: Tahr Update to too-small tahrsave 4fs file may damage files

#769 Post by 666philb »

rerwin wrote:I booted tahrpup (32-bit) 6.0.5 into a 96 MB tahrsave...4fs file last used under tahrpup-6.0.2 (successfully) and ran quickpet to get the Tahrpup updates. That seemed to go well but confused me with multiple windows. One referred to updating "glibc" and warning of a risk. The other (yellow) seemed to acknowledge that the update completed, after the progress window closed. I clicked on that window and both disappeared, so that I did not actually read the "glibc" window at that time.

Curious to see what that window was about, I ran quickpet again, which reran the update progress window again. This time, I looked at the "glibc" window and told it to update the "glibc" file. Then it hung with the "processing" splash displayed. I noticed then that my pupsave space was down to 1 MB! When I right-clicked on the "personal storage"tray icon, it disappeared. I tried the "Resize" menu entry, which did not respond. So I powered down with the PC's power button.

I had begun with 5 pupsave files (all 4fs) and was running #3 in the list. During the reboot, I was offered only the first 2 of the set! Using the second of those (64 MB), I booted and immediately resized it (to 128 MB) and did not update it. I displayed the tahrpup directory and found that the name of the file that I quickpet-updated is renamed with a substitute character of hex E80C (instead of the "h" in tahrsave...). Two other files (4 and 5 in the list of 5) are missing altogether. Even more alarming, though, is that 2 other files, tahr64saves, also have their names modified, one with "E80C" and the other with "E80B" -- for different letters in different positions within the file names.

When I attempt to rename the damaged file names, I get:

root# mv ta?rsave-602test3.4fs tahrsave-602test3.4fs
mv: cannot move ‘tarsave-602test3.4fs’ to ‘tahrsave-602test3.4fs’: Input/output error
root# 
So I fear I have lost all of the renamed files, too.

To possibly confound things, the tahrpup directory resides in an NTFS partition. But I have not used windows on it for a long time. Attached is a screeny of the directory.

For now, I think I will go back to using 2fs savefiles, since I think I have seen some concerns about 4fs. I hope that is not a factor. But I wonder if the quickpet update process might be ignoring (or not seeing) an out-of-memory condition and writing outside of the pupsave file.

(later) Now I know what is meant by the gliibc update possibly damaging puppy. But this goes beyond the current puppy and affects other files, too..

Update 8/22/16: After running XP to check for damage to the NTFS partition, I found that the names have been returned to the correct characters, even though the checker reported no errors.
hi rerwin,

that is a bit disconcerting, quickpet doesn't check for free space i presume some other part of puppy deals with that. i don't like the glibc update but it seemed necessary at the time, i also don't like all the initial updates as they can be confusing on a fresh install,
did the glibc upgrade fail for you? you can tell if it didn't work because everything breaks!

666philb

#770 Post by 666philb »

B.K. Johnson wrote:@666philb
When my tahr-6.0.2/6.0.3 was updated to 6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM, the following file was left in /home/tahr-6.0.2:
tahrsave-602.2fs.BKP-16.04.13-12.46
Can it be safely deleted now?
that looks like a savefile backed up using pupsave-hot-backup.... i would keep it as a back up

s243a

#771 Post by s243a »

I recently tried installing Shinobar's seamonkey sfs releases.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78601

There were made with and old version of the sfs format. There is supposed to be a tool to convert sfs files in the utility menu I think. I couldn't find it. I tried installing it from the puppy package manager. It installed in 6.0.2 but I think I was missing some gtk components because the buttons weren't displaying correctly. It didn't install for me in tahrpup 6.0.5.

It was also giving me errors when trying to convert the sfs files but when I right-clicked on them the size was 0mB, so maybe the problem wasn't with the sfs converter.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78601

Semme

#772 Post by Semme »

Just this morning, Tahr32-605 and trying to load Shino's latest VirtualBox, it failed. Yes, updates applied. Not that I care mind you, but after the attempt I decided to try the 4.3.4 build. Funny thing is it's in neither window, nor does it see the others sitting in /mnt/home, which happens to be an HPFS/NTFS/exFAT Windows partition.

Should I be having trouble? The SFS-Load version is 2.3.7..
Attachments
sfs-bug_q.jpg
(19.42 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

s243a

Old Hardware Issues

#773 Post by s243a »

After getting frustrated with Wary 5.5 .I decided to try tahrup 6.0.5 on one of my older computers, which works with Wary 5.5. The computer seems fast enough to run tahrpup but there seems to be compatibility issues when trying to load it from a CD:

1. The kernel modules are not loading. If I try to load zdrv to rectify the problem, it says that it cannot find the files even though they show up in rox at the path which it says it can't find them.

2. Ext4 does not seem to be supported. I get up errors in my kernel messages log related to this.

I was thinking of rather than loading it from a cd putting the boot load on a floppy. On a newer computer where tahrpup works well I'm having issues putting the bootloader on the flopp:

1. "Grub4dos" bootloader config will not write to the floppy even though I'm able to for instance edit menu.lst from geany on the floppy.

2. Even though I told it to not overwrite menu.lst I get a warning that all data will be erased.

3. as an alternative the puppy universal installer will not give me the option to install to a floppy. I know the floppy is too small for the kernel and such but there should be an install option for bootloader only.

I suppose trying to boot form USB is next but this is a thread about bugs and not about troubleshooting my problems.

edit: regarding grub4dos config not writing to the floppy, I'm guessing that this is because bootlace.com takes different arguments for a floppy.

The following works:

bootlace.com --floppy /dev/fd0
I figured this out from the bread crumbs at:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallationFrugal

foxpup

old hardware issues

#774 Post by foxpup »

@s243a

Hi. What kind of a machine do you have? I have a 2002 palomino and tahr runs on it.
I run wary on it too, which is actually better. What is your frustration with wary?

So you burnt tahr on CD and you try to boot from it?

s243a

#775 Post by s243a »

If you have network equipment connected to your wired network interface then the simple networking wizard automatically configures the wired interface interface whether you ask it to or not. Connecting with different tool doesn't seem to change this behavior.

This can be problematic if your are using a wireless interface to connect to the internet but intend to only use the wired interface for local networking.

On my routing table, I see a route is created for the wired interface with destination:

0.0.0.0 and a gateway which matches the router that I have connected to this computer. This router is not connected to the internet but seems to take precedence over the wireless route. Moreover, even though the eth0 interface fails to connect to the host, the system then doesn't try the wireless interface as a fall-back.

I can fix this with the command:
ifconfig eth0 down

but I have to do this command every time I start the computer. I suppose that I could physically disconnect the cable instead but I want to experiment some with local networking though a second interface.

s243a

Re: old hardware issues

#776 Post by s243a »

foxpup wrote:@s243a

Hi. What kind of a machine do you have? I have a 2002 palomino and tahr runs on it.
I run wary on it too, which is actually better. What is your frustration with wary?

So you burnt tahr on CD and you try to boot from it?
I got tahrpup working on the machine now. The problem was the CD burn. I tried burning a CD again and it worked. Prior to trying that I was considering experimenting with some boot-loader options (see thread) but realized after a bit of experimentation that I should try the simple approaches again first and I recalled a bad burn being a common problem. It's not that I won't go back to my bootloader experimenting but it is better to have a system up and running while learning then waiting until one solves a problem which they find difficult first.

What frustrates me with Wary is that many of the libraries are too out-dated to compile modern software (e.g. browsers). In the case of browsers I know that seamonkey still works for youtube but there is a security warning when you open the browser.

I can probably live with an out-dated seamonkey but a critical ap for me at this moment is synergy because, I'm using it now to control four computers (3 of which are running tahpup and one ruining windows 8.1)

For some reason which I can't completely remember in trying to get avachi to work (required for synergy) I started to compile python 2.7.12 and then when I tried to get PyGtk to work it appeared that I had to update glibc. I was able to compile python before updating glibc on wary but after installing the pets to upgrade glibc, available here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/

python would no longer compile even though I was able to compile it before trying the glibc upgrade pet and after that it just seemed like too much work to get avachi working on wary and I thought I would have a better time trying tahrpup. This doesn't mean that I won't try again. However, I think that I will try to find a virtual machine that wary runs in to build my pets so that I'm able to use Synergy with wary before I figure out how to install Synergy in wary.

I know there are some solutions to getting newer software to work with older computers such as either chroot or LD_PRELOAD but currently these approaches are beyond my skill level.

Anyay the system specs of the older computer which I'm now running tahrpup on are:

CPU: 2 x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.29GHz
Ram: 1019724 kB ~ 1Gig

It has no hard drive, a CD ROM drive and a floppy drive. So far tahrpup seem to be running on this computer with synergy.

I will let you know if I have any issues running tahrpup on it.

foxpup

old hardware issues

#777 Post by foxpup »

@s243a

I think your pentium is just 1 generation younger than mine, same RAM, so I guess it will run tahr nicely without the issues I have. If you have a graphic card and you can compile the proper driver in tahr (not a generic one) you should have a quick screen also.

The older glibc in wary is a problem indeed. Here and there on this forum someone says planning on updating this, but I have not seen any update yet.There are patches - you mention them - but finally they break something.
One has to use somewhat older versions, that have shortcomings now, for the time beeing.

I don not know the programs you are talking about (synergy, avachi) and I have not compiled anything yet, so I can not help there: beyond my skills. :(

As for network/internet, I just let the wizard do my connectivity which is quite simple: 1 pc and eth0 internet. I use the advanced wizzard anyway.
I wonder if there is a config file for this somewhere. The first time it runs, the wizard offers to keep the connections it found.

puppytahruser

bitmeter os

#778 Post by puppytahruser »

Thanks for nice tahr puppy 6.0.5 which is working fine on my netbook.
I tried bitmeteros from quickpet it install all right open at default browser but not showing any graph while I browsing net. I just need this type of pet to see my net use (upload,download,daily,monthly use). Could you please help me on this. thank you.
Attachments
bitmeter_not_working.png
bitmeteros while browsing on other browser(opera)
(51.67 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

puppytahruser

terminal/console

#779 Post by puppytahruser »

Another thing I found on tahr pup 6.0.5 that no right cilck paste is possible in terminal or console. Is it bug or this feature is off? please help me as I am new puppy user. Thank you.

Semme

#780 Post by Semme »

Welcome Mate!

Yep, Pups default terminal BLOWS! Without a connection though, you can't grab LXTerminal.

With Urxvt, you highlight, then rt/left together to paste.

Describe for us please your Internet connection..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<