EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#781 Post by BarryK »

Cu Chulinux wrote:Barry, here is a screenshot of the startup for Easy 0.9.3 showing failed mounting of q.sfs
Thanks for the that. The snapshot is reporting that the date format is wrong, so let's start with that.

It says that this is the wrong format:

2018-05-29 21:41-04:00

...which it is.

/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown saves the shutdown date in a file, and it is this that has the wrong format.

My first thought is that this may be due to a non-English locale. What locale are you using?

Open a terminal and type this. I have done it and you can see what I get, which is the correct format:

# date -Iminutes | cut -f 1 -d '+' | tr 'T' ' '
2018-06-01 09:01

If you get the wrong format, try this:

# LANG=C date -Iminutes | cut -f 1 -d '+' | tr 'T' ' '

If you still don't get the correct format, just do this, and let me know the result:

# LANG=C busybox date -Iminutes

...that's a capital letter "I" by the way.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Cu Chulinux

#782 Post by Cu Chulinux »

Ok, first off I have been getting that wrong date format in Easy since 0.6.8 (first I used). It also shows up with 0.9.1 that I reverted back to after 0.9.3 wouldn't boot. Never thought anything about it.

Results of the commands:

2018-05-31 21:54-04:00
2018-06-01T01:55+0000
#

Note I am in North America Eastern time zone that is (with daylight savings) -4:00 hours behind GMT (or UTC or whatever they call it these days). The actual local time at the command entry was 21:54.

Currently my time zone locale is America/Toronto. I believe this is a fairly newly added locale as I recall using New York in the past. My hw clock is set to local time instead of UTC as I also have Win 10 installed.

I use EN_US language and US keyboard and afaik locale is English. I did click to set time from internet (North American pool).

Side note I tried booting 0.9.3 from USB on my work computer (nVidia card - Quadro 600) with no luck getting to X. It failed loading X with nouveau and nv and modesetting. I didn't try vesa. Was just a quick test to see if it would work.

tigs

Installing on hard drives

#783 Post by tigs »

I have some observation.

I have been trying to install it to windows 10 hard drive with inconsistent success. What I find is multi-boot on a windows 10 machine does not work if the primary hard drive is a PCIe based drive. Initially I thought it is the nVME problem. No, I have tried on a PCIe mSATA drive as well ( all lenovo laptop msata are PCIe interfaced). It did not work either. The boot menu does not show the sub-menu as it would on a SATA drive if installed on the same drive as windows 1o.

I have not tried to install in on a PCIe secondary drive yet.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#784 Post by BarryK »

Cu Chulinux wrote:Results of the commands:

2018-06-01T01:55+0000
#
To get a complete picture, would you also mind just doing this:

# date -Iminutes

...just so that I can see exactly the difference that the full 'date' utility is outputting, compared with the busybox one.

Trying it myself:

# date -Iminutes
2018-06-01T16:33+08:00
# busybox date -Iminutes
2018-06-01T08:34+0000

...now isn't that interesting!!!

The actual local time here is 16:33, that is, 4:33pm, and hardware clock is set to local time, timezone is UTC+8:00 (Perth, Australia).

The busybox date applet is reporting wrong time!

The reason that you were getting an error, is the script rc.shutdown was only looking for the "+" and dropping off that "+08:00"

Right, I know how to fix it. Thanks for reporting it!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#785 Post by BarryK »

Cu Chulinux wrote:Barry, here is a screenshot of the startup for Easy 0.9.3 showing failed mounting of q.sfs
OK, so it has failed to mount q.sfs, and has dropped out to a shell.

This shell is in ram. Do you have keyboard inpout at this stage? On some PCs the keyboard does not work at this stage of bootup.

If you do have a working keyboard, can you type in these commands:

Code: Select all

# echo "$Q_DISTRO_VERSION"
# echo "$WKG_DEV"
# echo "$WKG_DIR"
# ls -1 /mnt/${WKG_DEV}/${WKG_DIR}repository/easy-${Q_DISTRO_VERSION}
The 'init' script tried to run this:

mount -r -t squashfs -o noatime,loop /q_ro/q.sfs /q_ro/q_sfs
but failed, with "invalid argument" error.

It would seem that one of those variables, that are got out of file BOOT_SPECS in initrd.q, is wrong, and q.sfs is not found.

q.sfs is expected at /mnt/${WKG_DEV}/${WKG_DIR}repository/easy-${Q_DISTRO_VERSION}/q.sfs and the script then copies it to /q_ro, then the above 'mount' operation is performed.

Another possibility is that q.sfs is there, but is somehow corrupted.

One other thing to check: if you have Easy installed in a sub-directory, say "easy", then WKG_DIR must have a trailing slash, WKG_DIR='easy/'

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.3 (May 26)

#786 Post by Billtoo »

I see an incorrect time error during each boot up of easy,have from the start.
The quicksetup setting gives the correct time, I boot easy from an SDHC card,also boot Ubuntu 18.04 from the hard drive.

EDIT: Seems I've confused time error with date format error.
Attachments
Quicksetup.jpg
(115.22 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#787 Post by BarryK »

On the subject of $BOOT_DIR and $WKG_DIR in file BOOT_SPECS, there have been earlier reports of the trailing "/" getting left off.

If you had, for example, WKG_DIR='easy/0.9.3' without a trailing slash, then booting would fail.

So, I thought why not check for that in the 'init' script, and automatically fix it. These two lines do it:

#180601 users may forget to put a trailing slash...
[ "$BOOT_DIR" ] && [ "${BOOT_DIR##*/}" ] && BOOT_DIR="${BOOT_DIR}/"
[ "$WKG_DIR" ] && [ "${WKG_DIR##*/}" ] && WKG_DIR="${WKG_DIR}/"
But what if a user puts a leading slash, like WKG_DIR='/easy/0.9.3' -- I think that will still work, although it is wrong. Might as well check for that also:

[ "$BOOT_DIR" ] && [ "${BOOT_DIR:0:1}" == "/" ] && BOOT_DIR="${BOOT_DIR:1:99}"
[ "$WKG_DIR" ] && [ "${WKG_DIR:0:1}" == "/" ] && WKG_DIR="${WKG_DIR:1:99}"
These corrections are now in the init script.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: isolated bootup

#788 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:Hi Barry,

just a question, as for your 'isolated bootup' project. If I correctly understood your explanation, while running your planned Easy OS from a flash drive which has 2 partitions you will enjoy 'complete security'.

Did you also figure out a way to protect this new Easy OS when the flash drive is plugged in after, for example, a Puppy which provides full root capabilities already is running in RAM, booted from a live-CD? I'm thinking of the risk that this new Easy OS - and the comprised data - still would be vulnerable to manipulation while being inactive.

Could your 'isolated bootup' system also work if the flash drive's second partition (the working partition) contains an encrypted filesystem?

kind regards
Yeah, that's a different situation, and we would have to go for an encrypted filesystem.

I am currently thinking about that.

The problem with that, is you would have to type in a password at bootup.

Cu Chulinux

#789 Post by Cu Chulinux »

# date -Iminutes
2018-06-01T06:47-04:00

# busybox date -Iminutes
2018-06-01T10:48+0000

it is 6:47 AM local time here.

Now, about q.sfs not being found ...

BOOT_SPECS for 0.9.1 (that works)

BOOT_DISKID='81E73A43-584A-11E5-BEDB-A8317C82F9F1'
BOOT_PARTNUM=5
BOOT_FS='vfat'
BOOT_DIR=''
WKG_DISKID='81E73A43-584A-11E5-BEDB-A8317C82F9F1'
WKG_PARTNUM=6
WKG_FS='ext4'
WKG_DIR=''
Q_DISTRO_VERSION=0.9.1

BOOT_SPECS for 0.9.3 (that doesn't work)

BOOT_DISKID='81E73A43-584A-11E5-BEDB-A8317C82F9F1'
BOOT_PARTNUM=5
BOOT_FS='vfat'
BOOT_DIR=''
WKG_DISKID='81E73A43-584A-11E5-BEDB-A8317C82F9F1'
WKG_PARTNUM=6
WKG_FS='ext4'
WKG_DIR=''
Q_DISTRO_VERSION=0.9.3

Cu Chulinux

#790 Post by Cu Chulinux »

OK, so it has failed to mount q.sfs, and has dropped out to a shell.

This shell is in ram. Do you have keyboard inpout at this stage? On some PCs the keyboard does not work at this stage of bootup.

Hi Barry, I missed this message earlier.

I do have keyboard so:

# echo "$Q_DISTRO_VERSION"
(result is blank)

# echo "$WKG_DEV"
(result is blank)

# echo "$WKG_DIR"
(result is blank)

# ls -1 /mnt/${WKG_DEV}/${WKG_DIR}repository/easy-${Q_DISTRO_VERSION}

ls: /mnt//repository/easy-: no such file or directory

It looks like the variables are not being correctly set. I then did:

# ls -l /mnt/sda6/repository/easy-0.9.3
configuration configuration-0.9.3 q.sfs rw-0.9.3.sfs

note there is no vmlinuz or initrd

Fortunately with Easy it is, well, easy to go back and forth between versions. Back in 0.9.1 for now.

Cu Chulinux

#791 Post by Cu Chulinux »

Question, since Easy looks for q.sfs in the repository does that mean it doesn't need to be kept in the boot dir after first boot after upgrading? Only vmlinuz and initrd.q need to be in the (in my case) efi boot partition?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#792 Post by BarryK »

Cu Chulinux wrote:Question, since Easy looks for q.sfs in the repository does that mean it doesn't need to be kept in the boot dir after first boot after upgrading? Only vmlinuz and initrd.q need to be in the (in my case) efi boot partition?
From your feedback, I can't see why 0.9.3 is failing to boot. It is most odd.

Regarding q.sfs not having to be in the boot-partition after first bootup, that is the current situation.

However, maybe not in the future, for security reasons. It may always use q.sfs in the boot-partition.

Right now, I am focusing on tightening security, and that is one thing that I might change.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#793 Post by BarryK »

Cu Chulinux wrote: # ls -l /mnt/sda6/repository/easy-0.9.3
configuration configuration-0.9.3 q.sfs rw-0.9.3.sfs

note there is no vmlinuz or initrd
Ah, that is wrong. vmlinuz and initrd.q should have been copied there on the first boot. I will look into that.

Cu Chulinux

#794 Post by Cu Chulinux »

I did some more investigating and the q.sfs in the 0.9.3 repository was only 113Mb.

So, I re-upgraded again to 0.9.3 and fixed the boot specs, then I manually copied the 3 files into the repository prior to rebooting. Now it starts up ok. So the problem was incomplete saving to the repository. I can't say why that happened though.

BTW when upgraded the icon theme was changed to your blue icon theme but everything else stayed as I had set up previously (JWM theme, mouse theme, and background)

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.3 (May 26)

#795 Post by Billtoo »

While running from Manjaro linux on my Compaq Presario desktop pc (intel graphics)
I prepared a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive with gparted.
Downloaded easy-0.9.3 and easydd and prepared them for use, then
installed easy to the flash drive with easydd, rebooted from the flash drive and setup
easy-0.9.3,installed pets etc.

It's working okay on this computer.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(70.52 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#796 Post by BarryK »

Cu Chulinux wrote:I did some more investigating and the q.sfs in the 0.9.3 repository was only 113Mb.

So, I re-upgraded again to 0.9.3 and fixed the boot specs, then I manually copied the 3 files into the repository prior to rebooting. Now it starts up ok. So the problem was incomplete saving to the repository. I can't say why that happened though.

BTW when upgraded the icon theme was changed to your blue icon theme but everything else stayed as I had set up previously (JWM theme, mouse theme, and background)
I found a couple of bugs in the rollback/forward code. The next release, 0.9.4, should be OK, and will probably have to restrict rollback to 0.9.4 or later, as if rollback earlier then will have the broken code.

rufwoof

#797 Post by rufwoof »

Hi Barry
I found a couple of bugs in
There's another bug in the containers code Barry. Add a sfs to a container such as ff.sfs using the container manager, and its recorded in the container configuration file as EASY_LAYER_RO1=ff.sfs-*.sfs ... and doesn't get picked up/used.

rufwoof

#798 Post by rufwoof »

Barry

??? Shouldn't the ec-run file in a containers .session folder include a --keep=1 parameter ???

if [ "$EC_CAP_DROP" ];then #180427
 capsh --drop=${EC_CAP_DROP} -- -c "${EXE} ${ARGS}"
else
 ${EXE} ${ARGS}
fi
-->

if [ "$EC_CAP_DROP" ];then #180427
 capsh --drop=${EC_CAP_DROP} --keep=1 -- -c "${EXE} ${ARGS}"
else
 ${EXE} ${ARGS}
fi

rufwoof

#799 Post by rufwoof »

Hi Barry.

Taking a snapshot and adding qfix=bak kernel boot parameter doesn't work as expected for me (HDD frugal installation) - showed the first-boot type desktop instead of the expected last snapshot desktop. Rolling back to that snapshot via the menu and rebooting again had it back to the desired snapshot image as before.

rufwoof

#800 Post by rufwoof »

It's good practice to cd into the chroot folder before chrooting as chroot doesn't actually change dir into the chroot and can otherwise leave a file descriptor link to outside of the chroot environment that might be exploited.

Edit /usr/local/easy_containers/ec-chroot (and others) to have a
cd ${CONTAINER}
before the unshare ... chroot action (i.e. above/before the
#--map-root-user needed if have -U, otherwise env will fail.
if...)

Still doubtful about running as root inside the container. Things like mknod or write access to /lib or /etc ... etc can be used to potentially break out of the container).