[CLOSED] Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#81 Post by jamesbond »

don570 wrote:
jamesbond wrote:That is due to Mesa update.
I can run Blender 2.79 in fatdog710 and newest pyro64 by barryK.
They must use an older mesa package???
710 definitely uses older Mesa, anything before Mesa 17. The change was done in Feb 2017.

Did the given workaround work, though?
mhwaveedit can't show the font characters in a marker label. (see image)
Thanks, you're good at finding obscure bugs :lol: I don't even know mhwaveeedit has this feature. Can you please tell me the steps to put the marker label?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

belham2

#82 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Here's a tas (Take a Shot) of my Fatdog64-720 desktop. Everything works great, just have one question: When I enabled Firetray and started it up, then rebooted (everything is saved to my Savefile), Firetray will not start up enabled (lit up Green). I have to manually click on it after every start, to start it up.

Is there a way to have it start "enabled" so I don't have to do this every time it starts??

Thanks.

P.S. As a 2nd question if any users are reading this, have you had any luck getting Firefox Quantum or above (57 up thru 58) to run in Fatdog64-720 with sound from Youtube & other sites working properly? I can get Quantum to run, but despite trying sound fixes from Oscar & Watchdog, I have no luck getting sound. Fatdog has alsa, and Firefox requires pulse (or the apulse fix, or so I thought). Firefox Quantum & above versions are really nice, quick, peppy, responsive and much better than Seamonk2.8---in my humble opinion. Plus, so many add-ons are abandoned in this version of Seamonk :cry: that it isn't even funny. Sooo, anyone had any luck with Quantum running with sound?? :o
Attachments
Fatdog64-720.jpg
(106.56 KiB) Downloaded 498 times

kirk

#83 Post by kirk »

P.S. As a 2nd question if any users are reading this, have you had any luck getting Firefox Quantum or above (57 up thru 5Cool to run in Fatdog64-720 with sound from Youtube & other sites working properly?
I haven't tested it in a few days but the Firefox installer script installed Firefox-57.0 for me and sound works fine. If you go to Menu-Internet-Firefox it should offer to download and install the official version. That's if you haven't installed the Firefox from the repo. James wrote the script to automate all that. Firefox isn't very nice for us to deal with anymore. Sorry, I don't know anything about Firetray.

SFR

#84 Post by SFR »

belham2 wrote:When I enabled Firetray and started it up, then rebooted (everything is saved to my Savefile), Firetray will not start up enabled (lit up Green). I have to manually click on it after every start, to start it up.
Have you also enabled eztables service? Otherwise the firewall won't start at boot.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

belham2

#85 Post by belham2 »

SFR wrote:
belham2 wrote:When I enabled Firetray and started it up, then rebooted (everything is saved to my Savefile), Firetray will not start up enabled (lit up Green). I have to manually click on it after every start, to start it up.
Have you also enabled eztables service? Otherwise the firewall won't start at boot.

Greetings!

Hi SFR,

And eztables is "enabled" where? Have no showing for it in Startup, unless I am looking in the wrong place... :wink:
Attachments
And-eztables-enabling-would-be-where.jpg
(107.97 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

belham2

#86 Post by belham2 »

[followup]

Well, I did this:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/sbin/eztables /root/Startup
...and rebooted

......and still no luck, despite eztables starting up.

Any other suggestions??

bigpup

#87 Post by bigpup »

Look in Control Panel>system> manager servers & services
Attachments
scree1.jpg
(29.08 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jake29

#88 Post by jake29 »

@belham2 - You can add custom startup scripts to /root/Startup/. I've attached an example of one that will launch Opera.
Attachments
silent_launch_opera.zip
(246 Bytes) Downloaded 171 times

jake29

Vulkan Graphics Support

#89 Post by jake29 »

I've tried running the Linux version of DOTA 2 using Steam Linux. With the launch command "-vulkan" - I get the error in the screen-shot below. I'm guessing the absence of specific Vulkan drivers (radv / vulkan-radeon) is the cause. Can anyone comment on this? Would it be a lot of work to include Vulkan api support?

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD7770.
Attachments
vulkan_error.png
(139.85 KiB) Downloaded 425 times

belham2

#90 Post by belham2 »

bigpup wrote:Look in Control Panel>system> manager servers & services

Thanks, Bigpup, that did the ticket. Always forget to look there first for stuff I wanted disabled and started, before I head to the Startup stuff.

Kind of think those two screens should be combined and/or linked......it is not intuitive to have them separated from the user.

Thanks again.

jamesbond

#91 Post by jamesbond »

@jake29: graphics subsystem is kirk's domain. He's looking at it right now.

@belham2: I know you're going to say that. They are actually not the same, and not related. "Services" and "Startup programs" services very different purpose.

A few things to note. First, Fatdog is multi-user capable.
You can run Fatdog easily as a non-root user (although you don't have to), if you wish.
And not only that, you can run multiple desktops --- each running as different users --- at the same time.
There is no other Puppy that can do that.

To support this, it has various infrastructure supports. These support structure also makes things a little bit more complicated, but only a little.

One of those things are, separation between root-only services, and any-user services.
I call the root-only services as "system services" and those any-iser services as "startup programs".
If you come from anyting newer than Windows 2000 world the difference between system services (which you control using services.msc) and "startup programs" is like night and day.

1. "System services" are services that runs at boot, with root privilege; and does not need Xorg/desktop.
These are the services located in /etc/init.d and you control that with Fatdog Services Manager,
which is located in "System" tab because it manages the entire system.
Examples: network/wifi services, your bluetooth, your etc.

2. Then we have the "Startup programs" that gets executed for **all** users.
These startup programs are GUI programs (although you can also launch a non-GUI programs), that gets to run when the desktop is started; and are launched for all users. If you don't launch the desktop (e.g. you use pfix=nox) then they don't get launched. In other desktop managers they use the term "desktop-autostart".

They are located in /etc/xdg/Startup, and managed by Fatdog Manage Desktop Startup programs, and are located in the "Dekstop" tab of control panel. Why? Well, because, they are only launched when the desktop is launched.

Examples of these: tray icons programs (battery metter, freememapplet, sven multimedia manager, wpa-gui the network manager), firetray, etc etc.

3. Then we haver per-user "startup programs". They are launched only when the user who owns them, launched the desktop. They are located in $HOME/Startup (for root, this is /root/Startup - which is what Puppy uses also). If you make a new user called "fido", the system will attempt to launch /home/fido/Startup (/home/fido being the $HOME directory of fido); and will not even look at /root/Startup.

They are also controlled by Fatdog Manage Desktop Startup programs, which is located in the "Desktop" tab, because ... well they are also only started when/if the desktop is started.

Examples? Generally the same as (2) but only for specific programs. You can choose to disable (or delete, or move) the startup programs to a particular user if you only want to use that startup programs for particular user.

I hope that makes sense.

If you say "bah humbug, I don't care about all that since I always run as a root user anyway", well, just do what jake29 said - put all your favorite programs (GUI or no GUI) in /root/Startup. And just remember if you try to use the /etc/init.d/ services, you always need to specify "start" argument to them. I DON"T recommend this, but hey, it's your computer, you can do anything you want with it :D
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

#92 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a usb-3.0 flash drive (formatted ext3) to use on my
Compaq-Presario Desktop.

Computer
Processor 2x Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory 4036MB (275MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [720]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri Dec 8 07:57:27 2017
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
SCSI Disks
ATA Hitachi HDP72505
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L
Kingston DataTraveler 3.0

It's working okay so far,
Thanks.
Attachments
xscreenshot.jpg
(91.2 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

kirk

#93 Post by kirk »

Jake29,

I recompiled mesa32 with vulkan support. I don't know if anything else is required or how to test it. I uploaded it here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/broken ... i686-1.txz

I think steam is 32bit and so are the games. But I could be mistaken. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for checking it out Billtoo!

kirk

#94 Post by kirk »

I recompiled mesa32 with vulkan support. I don't know if anything else is required or how to test it.
That's not completely true, my wife has a steam account, but don't have 18GB of free space to install dota2 :)

jake29

#95 Post by jake29 »

kirk wrote:I recompiled mesa32 with vulkan support. I don't know if anything else is required or how to test it. I uploaded it here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/broken ... i686-1.txz

I think steam is 32bit and so are the games. But I could be mistaken. Let us know how it goes.
The client is 32bit, but there are 64bit games. DOTA 2's own linux game files include references to x64.

There is no change with this version of mesa32 installed. I am using the 'radeon' driver, not 'amdgpu' - if that is a factor. I have never been able to get the latter to enable.

Thanks for looking into this.

upnorth

manually installed firefox 57.x

#96 Post by upnorth »

@belham or anybody:

With a manually installed firefox 57, as long as Apulse is installed, enable sound with about:config
set
security.sandbox.content.level to a value of 1
The default level is 3. Requires restart of ff.
EDIT added: Better to leave that value at 3 and use finer grained control - per JamesBond's install script:

security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist 16,54
security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist /dev/snd/

I run the ff57 that sits on debian installation's /opt directory.
as
run-as-spot /aufs/devsave/opt/firefox/firefox

By the way, vivaldi works as well when run-as-spot. It too sits in debians's /opt.
But it may need an enhanced libffmpeg.so be placed in /home/spot/.local/lib/vivaldi/
See here for ruario's widevine script and info: https://gist.github.com/ruario/3c873d43 ... 4d29fe37f1
Last edited by upnorth on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#97 Post by Billtoo »

belham2 wrote: P.S. As a 2nd question if any users are reading this, have you had any luck getting Firefox Quantum or above (57 up thru 58) to run in Fatdog64-720 with sound from Youtube & other sites working properly? I can get Quantum to run, but despite trying sound fixes from Oscar & Watchdog, I have no luck getting sound. Fatdog has alsa, and Firefox requires pulse (or the apulse fix, or so I thought). Firefox Quantum & above versions are really nice, quick, peppy, responsive and much better than Seamonk2.8---in my humble opinion. Plus, so many add-ons are abandoned in this version of Seamonk :cry: that it isn't even funny. Sooo, anyone had any luck with Quantum running with sound?? :o
I compiled pulseaudio-11.1.tar and json-c-0.12.1.tar (from BLFS) then
installed Firefox-57.02 from the control panel.
When Firefox was installing it install GTK3,

Sound works at news sites and youtube now.
Attachments
xscreenshot2.jpg
(82.36 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

jake29

#98 Post by jake29 »

Here are the latest versions of Mesa compiled with Vulkan drivers included. No luck so far with DOTA2. Next I try enabling the AMDGPU driver.

mesa-17.3.0-x86_64-1.txz
mesa32-17.3.0-x86_64-1.txz
mesa-vdpau-17.3.0-x86_64-1.txz

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ld6hviwx1ryz8m/AAAQzVnCW5YpOe5pBOIPKHEra?dl=0

EDIT:
since kernel 4.13, adding the amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 or amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 kernel parameter is required. Otherwise, AMDGPU will not start and you will end up with either radeon being used instead or the display being frozen during the boot.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_.28SI.29_and_Sea_Islands_.28CIK.29_support

These kernel parameters appear to be currently missing from the included kernel config.

EDIT #2: According to the driver information table here - the Mesa 3D driver so my gpu is called: radeonsi. Can I interpret this as meaning that the 'radeon' driver currently included is covering 2D/3D duty?
Last edited by jake29 on Sat 09 Dec 2017, 08:22, edited 2 times in total.

jamesbond

#99 Post by jamesbond »

jake29 wrote: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_.28SI.29_and_Sea_Islands_.28CIK.29_support

These kernel parameters appear to be currently missing from the included kernel config.
They have been added, see:

# zgrep AMDGPU /proc/config.gz 
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=m
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y
# CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_GART_DEBUGFS is not set
Most important thing is - the Arch Wiki that you linked said that amdgpu support is now only limited to relatively new cards.
Arch Wiki wrote:At the moment there is support for Volcanic Islands (VI) and newer and experimental support for Sea Islands (CI) and Southern Islands (SI) cards. AMD has absolutely no plans for supporting the pre-GCN GPUs.
Is your card one of them?

I can't test - I don't have AMD cards with me, nor steam account.

jake29

#100 Post by jake29 »

jamesbond wrote:
jake29 wrote: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_.28SI.29_and_Sea_Islands_.28CIK.29_support

They have been added, see:

# zgrep AMDGPU /proc/config.gz 
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=m
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y
# CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_GART_DEBUGFS is not set
Most important thing is - the Arch Wiki that you linked said that amdgpu support is now only limited to relatively new cards.
Arch Wiki wrote:At the moment there is support for Volcanic Islands (VI) and newer and experimental support for Sea Islands (CI) and Southern Islands (SI) cards. AMD has absolutely no plans for supporting the pre-GCN GPUs.
Is your card one of them?
Yes, I noted those parameters are present. But in my last quote, the suggestion is that additional parameters are also required.

My card is "Southern Islands" (SI).