Muppy 0084 Beta 2 with Compiz + Gnome 2.22.3 + KDE 3.5.9

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
AnewJeff

Potential Remaster Bug

#81 Post by AnewJeff »

This may simply be a mistake that I made while using "Remaster Muppy," but it's happened a couple of times - haven't tried "Remaster Puppy" yet (not sure what the difference is...).

I made an ISO so it would configure on other machines (forget the term), and it reconfigured everything except Wifi.

Example 1:
Remastered from a desktop (and had setup a Ethernet connection), and the Network Wizard will not load (auto or manual) my "ipw2200" wifi-driver. The Ethernet driver is recognized.
- Xdialog: "Loading ipw2200 failed; try a different driver"
- This driver is recognized and works on other Muppy's/Puppy's.

Example2:
Remastered from the laptop (had wifi connection setup but not Ethernet), and the Network Wizard auto-loads the ipw2200 connection. Ethernet will setup, but it won't save and needs to be reconfigured on reboot.

It seems to me that the remaster is saving the existing network config, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change it.

Anyone else come across the same issue? Ideas???

Jim1911

#82 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

This release seems much more stable. Have had a great time checking out it's features. It's hard to believe that you've accomplished so much since your first beta release. I was really surprised when I used Gslapt under gnome and installed Bibletime without having the KDE sfs selected. I was also pleasantly surprised to find aMSN already installed. I did delete all traces of Beta 1. This is a frugal installation in a new directory.

There are some problems:

The Cups printer setup is great for my printer because it has the 5200 series drivers, however, it requires a user name and password which I don't have. Do you know an acceptable User name and password that we can use? Also, it doesn't appear to have support for USB printers other than HP. However, I was able to install "cups-install-v.03.pup" and use the HP Photosmart P1315/Foomatic hpijs driver which doesn't completely support my printer features.

I have focused on the new gnome primarily although I did check out the other desktops briefly. This is what I found on the menus that I checked:

System:
Preferences: No problems.
Administration Menu:
a. Network: “The configuration could not be loaded, You are not allowed to access the system configuration.

MU

#83 Post by MU »

when cups requests user and password, you must enter:
root
woofwoof

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
I think the Gnome issues are related to some policy settings, that will be difficult to sort out.

All other issues reported I must examine in detail, I can't give a quick reply yet.

I'm glad, the Ati 9700 works.
It might use the fglrx driver.
Can you please attach the file:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
I would like to verify, if it uses the xorg or the ati driver.

Thanks again, Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

Re: Can no longer Print

#84 Post by MU »

tlchost wrote: Can not use this version to print to USB connected Laserjet4Plus. Even worse, I installed cups-install-v.03.pup, which has always worked in previous versions and the printer will not work..
can you please describe more detailed the problem?
I need to know:
- do you get the web-interface?
- can you select the printer, when you add a new one?
- If yes, what error message do you get ,when you print?

This would help me to sort out cups issues:
edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
Set the line:
LogLevel info
to:
LogLevel debug

Now run the cups-wizard again.
Add a printer, and try to print a testpage.
Then zip and attach:
/var/log/cups/error_log

Then set again
LogLevel info
or you get very huge logfiles.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

tlchost

Re: Can no longer Print

#85 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote:
tlchost wrote: Can not use this version to print to USB connected Laserjet4Plus. Even worse, I installed cups-install-v.03.pup, which has always worked in previous versions and the printer will not work..
can you please describe more detailed the problem?
I need to know:
- do you get the web-interface?
- can you select the printer, when you add a new one?
- If yes, what error message do you get ,when you print?
Yes...the web interface is fine
No....there is no selection for USB as there is in the cups 03 install

When I tried the cups03, there were no error messages...the file simply was not sent to the printer

I'll try tomorrow to create the logs

Jim1911

#86 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

Attached is the file you requested. Thanks for the user name and password.

Another problem, while using "3D Emerald + MuppyPanel" desktop, I opened XFE to find the file you wanted. XFE opened fine but as I was using it, it changed to a gray color, still seemed to be working, but when I closed it the exit had to be forced. Also, the archive manager crashed while trying to create this tar file. Switched to gnome desktop and had no problem.

I'll see what else may give problems with the 3D Emerald + MuppyPanel desktop and report back. It seemed to be working so well that I was about to abandon gnome.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Attachments
Xorg-0-log.txt.tar.gz
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 519 times

MU

#87 Post by MU »

tlchost

strange, my HP Deskjet 930 USB is correctly detected in this version.
I cannot test printing itself, as I need to buy a new cartridge first next week.

Concerning Cups 0.3:
I think there might be conflicts with the newer version of ghostscript.
Maybe it is not set up correctly, I need to test that with the new cartridge.

One workaround for you could be, to install the old versions:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... .0.0-2.pet

There was released an alternative version too, see:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32519
You might try the cups-addon.pet.
Please report back, if you have success.

I'd like to stay with the 1.3.8 from Slackware, if my tests confirm, that my printer works.
This would keep compatibility with slackware.
I'd also like to add an alternative installer based on Puppy files, that can be run by people, where the 1.3.8 does not work.
I just wonder what would be required... The whole pet from White Fang 0.2, and also cups 0.3 in addition?

The iso has reached 800 MB meanwhile, so I had to remove something else.
What is unneeded?
Songbird maybe? It is very huge.

Jim1911
Thanks, your log told me, that the free driver is used, not fglrx.
So we need another test of that one.
I think it can be used only in the manual setup of the cf-wizard.

With XFE I have the same problem in Compiz, it is usable, but grey :?
I create archives with a right-click on a file in XFE.

Mark

Jim1911

#88 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

Sorry, no good news, the "3D Emerald + MuppyPanel" desktop is very unstable. While adding programs to the desktop and executing various programs, the menu items starting coming up as text files, rather than starting the programs. So I exited and restarted which restored the menus. Also, while trying to make this post the muppy menu bar disappeared, so I exited, and restarted in the gnome desktop.

I tried to attach some pictures of some problems, but I get "Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions." Don't know why because I see desktop photos posted all the time.

Jim

tlchost

#89 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: One workaround for you could be, to install the old versions:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... .0.0-2.pet
The first time I tried it....no joy....the software said it the printer was installed...but no output to printer.

So, after a boot with a clean copy of the beta b version, I carefully applied my extra large software hammer and shape charges to remove the contents of /etc/cups

Now, the package listed above happy sends output to the laser printer.

Thanks for pointing me to the package.
I'd also like to add an alternative installer based on Puppy files, that can be run by people, where the 1.3.8 does not work.
I just wonder what would be required... The whole pet from White Fang 0.2, and also cups 0.3 in addition?
What might work is a simple script to replicate my steps to uninstall the suppiied CUPS

Just an observation and a big thanks to you. Of the many Puppy derivatives I've tried...your distributions have been the least troublesome
to install and configure, and have a very nice package of applications.

You also do a great job of answering questions.

My point is that what you have produced and how you support it gives folks new to Linux a great starting place. From a business perspective, instead of spending time in the teckno joys of configurations, library hunts and walks down variuous blind alleys, one can become productive very quickly with your distribution.

I'm looking forward to seeing the English docs for Minisys....I suspect that it will be an effective solution for business.

As a windows user, who carries his most used applications on a pen drive when working off site, I also appreciate that with Wine installed and configured, I can simply insert my pendrive in the system and use the applications whether the system is booted from WIndows or Linux.

Thom

pigshed

#90 Post by pigshed »

Hi Mark,

Great work, first time I've tried it again since the early Alphas.

Removing icedock: I've obviously missing something obvious, in icedock settings it says it starts from root/autostart. Clicking on the autostart icon doesn't show icedock as a listed item ?

Scrolling (especially with a mouse wheel) in opera and firefox is jerky (in a mexican wave sort of way - it starts to scroll at the top and the rest catches up). I've not noticed this in Dingo. It was one thing that put me off many of the linux distributions at the start. I know you can turn on smooth scrolling - but all this seems to do is slow the scroll rate so much that you don't notice the wave as much.

Now to try Gnome and KDE .. on a low spec machine ... disappointment may wait round the corner, but it's worth a try !

One huge plus point which may help someone somewhere sort out another bug - I just pressed the "insert" key when editing this post in firefox .. and it didn't crash... (or is that problem only limited to seamonkey ?)...

Cheers, Adam.

pigshed

#91 Post by pigshed »

So far it's only a very quick look - but just added the KDE SFS .. and erm , WOW !

icedock is still running ..uhmm..

On a 1024*768 screen - there's now so many items under some of the menus that it takes over the whole screen and you need to press ESC to get back to the main menu and desktop. (system tools/games).

Had a sound error running steamtuner/XMMS - was necessary to change options/preferences/output plugin to ALSA from the default.

pigshed

#92 Post by pigshed »

Within KDE - Had a download running via firefox and thought I'd try a game .. (noticing there were many....) So clicked on Tuxracer..

Moments later a tuxracer screen appeared though offset to the left.. and a strange pointer - which updated about once every 5 seconds and therefore lagged behind somewhat .. The challenge of getting this onto the first line did keep me entertained for a few seconds .. however, I got bored on the next screen and pressed the escape key ... (seeing no other way out).This rapidly threw me back out to X. So I typed "startmuppy" having remembered it from this thread .. Now I'm back in standard muppy ... So at least I'm back .. but I think something wasn't quite right ....

Cheers, Adam.

Jim1911

#93 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

KDE is excellent, the only problems I've noted are with programs that also don't work in other desktop environments and primarily while using "Icewm + KDE-Panel (Kicker)". Using "Icewm + KDE-Panel (Kicker)", there have been no instances of intermittent problems that have occurred with other desktops. Of course, the gnome desktop is solid too, except for the problems I've noted previously in the Places Menu.

Another thing, with KDE desktop, using SFS-Combiner to combine your addons and office sfs, it was successful. I'm now using the new addons-office sfs along with gnome and KDE sfs. All I needed to do to get Openoffice working was edit the paths of menu items. I haven't noticed any other problems with the new addons-office_084.sfs.

Apparently, most of the intermittent problems are related to instability in Compiz. Another thing, the optical drive icons, both point to the same drive just as it did in beta1. Pmount, MUT, and Muppy Quickmount show them correctly. Tuxracer, noted above by pigshed, will not open on my system. Haven't tried other games other than Tetravex which worked fine.

Thank you for a fine distribution that has many great features.

Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 20:44, edited 2 times in total.

pigshed

#94 Post by pigshed »

Hi Mark,

More bits ..

To get my PCMCIA card USB2 adapter and then a device plugged into it working, I need to run modprobe ehci_hcd and modprobe ohci_hcd - then moments later two devices appear at the bottom via hotpup. This is the same for when I use Dingo, though has been rectified in the 4.1 Alphas where they seem to run by default (on my machine). On the positive side - when I plug a mobile phone (two drives) they show up next to each other, in the 4.1Alphas both icons appear in the same spot as they're added simultaneously.

For some reason I have two "mnt" hotpup icons ?? both pointing to /initrd/mnt - is this normal ?

Another positive, which maybe a temporary quirk .. Since adding the KDE SFS, and being booted out back to normal Muppy - now I'm running a download in firefox - the strange thing is that for the first time in any of the puppys - I can still use the internet - normally, once I start a download it seems to grab 100% bandwidth.... I presume this is quirk I alone suffer from as I've never read anyone else mention it.

And a question, someone may know .... This is not directly muppy related, but seems to be firefox 3 related .. Often - I right click on a link and just want to select "open in a new tab" .. this doesn't always happen, it just goes off on it's own and opens a new window, saves it, or comes up with some other dialogue box. It's as if there are mouse gestures in place on a right click - though I can't find anywhere to turn it off so I can just happily right click and get what I want, not what it thinks I want... Would imagine if using this commercially it would eventually drive someone nuts !

Hot off the press : Firefox just crashed. Was entering the above (which was all still there when I ran firefox again). Clicked on Submit - then -as it was going slow - clicked on the www.bbc.co.uk tab which I'd set to load earlier. It crashed (that site seems pretty consistent at crashing Firefox 3 in all the puppys and all the FF3's I've tried). Unfortunately my download was interrupted again .. and it was so close this time .. it's re-commenced automatically, but from the beginning... Don't think I'll ever get to try the gnome.sfs .....

Cheers, Adam.

Jim1911

#95 Post by Jim1911 »

Adam,

You might try using Opera, which seems more stable, in all distributions, than Firefox. Also, you would get better results on downloads by using Pwget regardless of your browser choice.

Regards,
Jim

pigshed

#96 Post by pigshed »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice. Previous to the old (normal) muppy , the only time I'd used opera was on a phone -and wasn't impressed. Needless to say when I tried it on Muppy I was more than surprised and promptly fell in love. Whilst it seems more stable - and seems to continue it's downloads after a crash .. It does still crash . Unfortunately I found that if I ever set a flash download spooling in one tab, flicked off to do something else, then came back - the flash window just have just gone white and that was that ...

I'll try it again ... and give pwget a go ... !

Many thanks, Adam.

tlchost

Re: Muppy 0084 Beta 2 with Compiz + Gnome 2.22.3 + KDE 3.5.9

#97 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote:NEW:
version Beta 2:
installed pidgin 2.5 mentioned in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27199

Works fine on Live-CD

tlchost

Re: Muppy 0084 Beta 2 with Compiz + Gnome 2.22.3 + KDE 3.5.9

#98 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote:NEW:
version Beta 2:
I just realized that Pidgin goesn't make sounds....and I see that it uses playwav....which also doesn't work.

My sound card in onboard and works fine with alsa, realplayer, etc. How can I determine what to tel playwav to make sounds, or what other
command can I use to call another sound program from Pidgin.

Thanks

HairyWill

#99 Post by HairyWill »

wow
just tried out mini with addons and games
looks slick, it will take me ages to explore it all, the gtb apps work really well

some of the games on the fun menu do not seem to be installed
the size tab on the panel configuration is empty
conky starts before the desktop background is resized, this means that the fake conky transparency has the wrong image as its background
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

HairyWill

#100 Post by HairyWill »

problems with help

there is no obvious help entry in the menu (though there is on the desktop)
of the three sources of help provided
klh's site seems to be taken over by junk
the link to oli's manual at puppy-linux.info now gives a 302 to puppylinux.org but does not direct to the manual, I suggest pointing at http://www.puppylinux.org/manuals/puppy-301 would be appropriate though the differences between trunk puppy and muppy would be a problem for a newbie.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]