Karmic Puppy uPup 4.58 w/ GLX/DRI - Latest Woof FEB 16

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#81 Post by Béèm »

Thanks for the tip: pfix=nox, never used it.
I removed the fbdev driver and did xorgwizard, selected as usual and issued xwin.
I came to a desktop, but I am not sure I am in xorg.
In xorg.conf fbdev isn't there anymore but I have vesa now.
So I suspect I am in xvesa, which is the way I started after xorg failed.

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
	### Available Driver options are:-
	### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
	### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
	### [arg]: arg optional
	#Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "DefaultRefresh"     	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "ModeSetClearScreen" 	# [<bool>]
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "vesa" #card0driver
	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
	BoardName   "Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

oui

#82 Post by oui »

hi jim
Jim1911 wrote:oui,

Sorry about your bad experience, however, please post information about your hardware. it will be good to know which hardware is having trouble.

Thanks,
Jim
my hardware is a acer laptop emachines with AMD64 processor and 2 GiO RAM.

thank you to have asked for it!

salut

playdayz

Beem and Oui

#83 Post by playdayz »

Beem, I think you are in xorg using the vesa driver. When you ran xorgwizard you choose Xorg rather than xvesa, right? It is confusing I know, but there is an xvesa X server (called xvesa) and there is also a vesa driver in the Xorg X server. So I think you are good. If you wanted to experiment you might edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the vesa driver to radeon and then Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart xserver. Who knows what will happen. BTW, as it is what happens if you open a terminal and run "glxgears?" Do you see the gears--if so, that means glx/dri is working which is one of the goals of uPup. The Upup_456.iso which is posted in the first message in the thread now does not have the fbdev driver but that is the same as you have done on your own. Almost certainly i will be leaving fbdev out of subsequent versions of uPup. Thanks for staying with it.
----------------------------------------------------------------
oui, As I said above to Beem, the version of uPup 4.56 that is now posted does not have the fbdev video driver because I think the fbdev driver may be the reason uPup is not working for you. If you cared to experiment again, I would recommend downloading the upup_456.iso and making a live-CD and seeing what happens when it first runs xorgwizard. I hope something good happens, but ....

Searching for your machine, oui, I found several that have ATI 1200 graphics (older) or ATI 3200 graphics (newer). I am hopeful that if you try the new version of upup_456 without the fbdev video driver it will work and xorgwizard will choose the proper driver or at least a workable one. Based on the graphics, your machine could use the ati, radeon, or radeonhd video drivers, or perhaps the vesa video driver. Your info is helpful in trying to get uPup to work out of the box on more machines, so thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
pemasu
PS. Fprot installation does not work anymore from menu. After installation fprot end to error > cant recognise the version number. Due to fprot version upgrade I think. It would be nice if somebody could fix it.
i don't know much about Fprot, but i went to their site and downloaded the latest version 6. I went through the installation process and Fprot installed and ran, from the command line. There is no graphic user interface that I see--I told you I didn't know much about it. It is now "fpscan" instead of fprot. You can go to their site and try that yourself: http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/linux/

Were you installing Fprot by means of a pet from the Puppy Package Manager? Ah-ha, I see that I also need XF-prot to provide a gui. However i installed the XF-prot package from the Package Manager and it gives me an error that says it cannot detect F-prot's version and then it closes. I will keep experimenting but it looks like XF-Prot is not aware of the update to version 6--a lot changed evidently including the names of the executables. Plus, it looks like Ubuntu does not have any XF-Prot package so we can have it function as a command line scanner but not with a gui, so far. I got the source for XF-Prot but it would not compile successfully for me. Here is the pet I made of the command line F-Prot
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/f-prot6.pet

aarf

#84 Post by aarf »

Download uPup 4.56 -> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/upup-456.iso
upup455.iso md5sum 87b65baf4d33db80ec5af6585b55d1e4
version number need a change if not also the md5sum

edit: the md5number matches with the 456 download.

aarf

#85 Post by aarf »

unpacked 456 to a sdcard directory, pointed grub at it, booted and got
error 16; incompatible file system.
tried to delete some files in the directory and got "write-protected file system read only". under puppy i do not know how to remove these files.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

restart X, X command prompt not working.

#86 Post by Béèm »

@playdayz,
Thank you for the info about the vesa driver in xorg. Wasn't aware of it.
glxgears runs ok.

I then changed vesa in radeon in xorg.conf

I wasn't able to do a restart X nothing happened.
I then did a CTRL-ALT-backspace to get the X command prompt, but I didn't get it. Instead I did get the desktop again and xorg.conf contained again vesa as driver.
Time savers:

Béèm

Network configuration not retained between boots.

#87 Post by Béèm »

The network configuration is not retained between boots.
After a re-boot, I got connected automatically to an open router, which doesn't have the performance of mine.
The profile of my router was saved and I could reload it and then I clicked use it. I then had to request an IP again (autodhcp) and was connected to my router.

Following quite closely the forums, I see this issue is raised quite often.
Time savers:

aarf

#88 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:unpacked 456 to a sdcard directory, pointed grub at it, booted and got
error 16; incompatible file system.
tried to delete some files in the directory and got "write-protected file system read only". under puppy i do not know how to remove these files.
tried chmod 777 and it failed to alter the read only file system. booted knoppix5.3 and in a root shell did

Code: Select all

sudo mc
to use midnight commander to delete the files one at a time because after each delete i had to go back and make the sdcard writable again.

back to puppy431, re extracted the 456.iso to the directory and booted this time all was well and just a click on my pre-installed opea10.10 portable and it works fine all bookmarks and mods included. pgprs-connect in a console gets me to post this message.
have had problems with my sdcard intermittently previously however these problems occurred in the external card writer I use for big files just to be sure. big files problems in the defective internal card reader are detailed elsewhere on here by me, and elsewhere on the web by others.

playdayz

#89 Post by playdayz »

Beem, What happens if you go through the Network Wizard and then specifically Save the configuration? I also noticed this and it seems that if on first boot (or subsequently?) I hit the Save button after everything is configured, then it will remember the proper settings on reboot. But if don't hit Save and then just say Yes at the dialog upon closing the Wizard then it is not remembered. So please click Save button and see what happens. It is working correctly for me now even though it was wonky as you say at first.

Also, if you get glxgears that means GLX/DRI is working, which is a goal of uPup because I think it results in better compatibility when it is setup correctly. Also, glxgears would not run in xvesa but will run in the Xorg server with the vesa driver.

Arrf, what are you talking about??? LOL. I am going to have to read very carefully!!!

aarf

#90 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote: Arrf, what are you talking about??? LOL. I am going to have to read very carefully!!!
the initial install by click-unpacking the upup456.iso to a directory on my SDcard failed and produced an impossible-to-delete-in-puppy read only file system in the upup456 directory on my SDcard. after deleting the rouge files by using knoppix, the second click-unpack-install functioned correctly. my (michalis's) portable opera is wonderful; and gprs-connect fails to put the required link into the network menu after configuration in the connect wizard and so has to be started by using #pgprs-connect in a console. this required console starting is not clear from the dialog in the network wizard and would cause new users who are unfamiliar with puppy to be disorientated and annoyed.

aarf

#91 Post by aarf »

installed Pwidgets 2.2.3 into 456, well i clicked the pet and it asked if i wanted to install it and i OK-ed but that was all that happened, no confirmation dialog. on reboot it hung at the white cross on the black background tried a few things but cant get a boot now. can get to xorgwizard but no further. will replace with the backup pupsave if there are no questions.

Jim1911

#92 Post by Jim1911 »

aarf wrote:installed Pwidgets 2.2.3 into 456, well i clicked the pet and it asked if i wanted to install it and i OK-ed but that was all that happened, no confirmation dialog. on reboot it hung at the white cross on the black background tried a few things but cant get a boot now. can get to xorgwizard but no further. will replace with the backup pupsave if there are no questions.
The older upup version 2.08 does work and 01micko is working on getting the later versions to work. Available at the link you referenced.

Béèm

#93 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:Beem, What happens if you go through the Network Wizard and then specifically Save the configuration? I also noticed this and it seems that if on first boot (or subsequently?) I hit the Save button after everything is configured, then it will remember the proper settings on reboot. But if don't hit Save and then just say Yes at the dialog upon closing the Wizard then it is not remembered. So please click Save button and see what happens. It is working correctly for me now even though it was wonky as you say at first.

Also, if you get glxgears that means GLX/DRI is working, which is a goal of uPup because I think it results in better compatibility when it is setup correctly. Also, glxgears would not run in xvesa but will run in the Xorg server with the vesa driver.
Yes I hit the save button after having made the settings. So the profile is saved. Then I hit use this profile and I continue to acquire an IP.

I can work on internet then.

After next boot, I realize I am not able to go unto internet.
I select wireless inthe NW wizard and push load for the already saved profile. It loads correctly and I hit use this profile. There is a live network and I get an IP from the Auto dhcp and can go unto internet.

This scenario repeats after each boot.

Some puppy versions don't behave in this way.
Time savers:

rjbrewer

#94 Post by rjbrewer »

Béèm wrote:
After next boot, I realize I am not able to go unto internet.
I select wireless inthe NW wizard and push load for the already saved profile. It loads correctly and I hit use this profile. There is a live network and I get an IP from the Auto dhcp and can go unto internet.
With ipw2200, if I reboot into another puppy and then back to 4.3.1,
it will have lost connection.
I right click the connect icon and then auto connect .

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Béèm

#95 Post by Béèm »

My driver is ipw2100. For the record
Time savers:

playdayz

#96 Post by playdayz »

thanks aarf, my head is clear now, well as clear as it ever gets anyway. is your conclusion that the fist time was a problem with the SD card?

Pwidgets. Because uPup is different under the hood from Puppy 4+ and T2 builds such as Quirky, some pets will not work. I tried Conky I think the other day and it did not work. The solution is to go to the Ubuntu packages and find what you need and check the dependencies and requires, etc. When you find the right combination then we can post it in the first message as software that has been tested with uPup. Of course Pwidgets is not a ubuntu program at all so that is a special case. http://packages.ubuntu.com/
gprs-connect fails to put the required link into the network menu after configuration in the connect wizard and so has to be started by using #pgprs-connect in a console
Could this be a version of the same problem Beem has described (network connection not being remembered and restarted on reboot). Would it work for you to click Save on first boot (or even later) and then rebooting to see if it is remembered. Something made mine start working correctly.

Beem, Darn, Something I did made mine behave properly and remember and reconnect on each boot. i thought it was what I said and what you did. But looks like not. Yes indeed it is supposed to connect properly on each reboot. I think it might be a Woof problem because the only things I have changed concerning the network is to add readline6 and libnl. I will let Barry know. However, please keep looking for a solution. I know there is one because mine started working correctly.

I see that Barry posted a new Woof today. I will make a uPup and hope that maybe a problem or two might be fixed (that has happened--most recently in the case of a full install being fixed) and then test and then post in 2 days. Of course anyone can also use Woof and build a Puppy--just search Barry's blog for get started info.

Béèm

#97 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote: Beem, Darn, Something I did made mine behave properly and remember and reconnect on each boot. i thought it was what I said and what you did. But looks like not. Yes indeed it is supposed to connect properly on each reboot. I think it might be a Woof problem because the only things I have changed concerning the network is to add readline6 and libnl. I will let Barry know. However, please keep looking for a solution. I know there is one because mine started working correctly.
I had this in other puppy's as well. Not always.
I think it occurred in upup476 also. Also in some versions of dpup.
Could be something a bit critical with the ipw2100 driver, one never knows.

Could it be that there are different implementations of the network wizard?
Time savers:

Jim1911

#98 Post by Jim1911 »

Re: Pwidgets working in upup456.
01micko wrote:Could you do me a favour and test the version in zigbert's main post designed for the old upup 476? 2.0.8 it is for upup I think. If it works I can fix the main package, and I have an idea that just might make it possible to have 1 package for all.
I replied that V2.08u works good, and 01micko's response was
"I know what to do now, and will suggest to Sigmund my idea for a single package to cover all."

So, I'm confident that they will solve the problem with the later pwidget versions working with upup.

Jim

Jim1911

Version Numbers

#99 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:I see that Barry posted a new Woof today. I will make a uPup and hope that maybe a problem or two might be fixed (that has happened--most recently in the case of a full install being fixed) and then test and then post in 2 days. Of course anyone can also use Woof and build a Puppy--just search Barry's blog for get started info.
Although, I've had no success building from woof, I see that woof gui interface shows a field for a 2-digit Puppy minor-version number which you should be able to use rather than selecting a new 3-digit version number ie: 456-01

Jim

aarf

#100 Post by aarf »

OK thanks got the upup widgets and after that was installed and in the menu, the gprsconnect was also in the menu. so i think it was when the menus were updated for pwidgets, the update saw that gprs was there too. so also, gprsconnect-setup is not updating the menus and neither is "restart jwm" in the shutdown menu. gprs was not in /root/.jwmrc before installation of widgets.

while playing around, i also added a /root/.jwmrc-tray-left in there but i don't think that was the solution to getting gprs in the menu.