Puli 32/64 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sylvander

Re: Puli and chainloading syslinux from grub4DOS

#81 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:I try to modify the boot process in Puli to accept language settings both from syslinux.cfg and puli.cfg. I check the feasibility of the keyboard auto-recognition feature, too.
Not sure I understand what you are trying to say.
Do you mean that you intend to do this in the near future, or that you have already done this and applied the changes to the latest Puli?

Should I do nothing, be patient, read the chainload tutorial, and wait for you to incorporate these latest improvements and supply an updated Puli?

gjuhasz

Re: Puli and chainloading syslinux from grub4DOS

#82 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:Should I do nothing, be patient, read the chainload tutorial, and wait for you to incorporate these latest improvements and supply an updated Puli?
I am ready with the fix, that is, the just modified Puli accepts language and keyboard configuration also from puli.cfg. I am testing it now and will upload rc2 on Sunday.

I plan to simplify the Help text and add a couple of nice-to-have features, too.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#83 Post by Sylvander »

Superb! :D

I await that with keen anticipation.

Onward and upward. :wink:

gjuhasz

Puli 6.0.3 bark2 rc2 uploaded

#84 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:Superb! :D

I await that with keen anticipation.

Onward and upward. :wink:
Uploaded to http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/Puli-6.0.3_bark2_rc2

Although keyboard and language settings are read from puli.cfg, I recommend to put them to the kernel boot parameters, too. In case of booting using ldlinux.sys, the kernel boot params are in syslinux.cfg.

Please take a look at http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/readme.html

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#85 Post by Sylvander »

Typing this from the latest Puli.

1. Installed the latest rc2 version to ext4 partition on my 4GB Flash Drive.

2. Used "Grub4Dos bootloader config" to install Grub4Dos bootloader to the Flash Drive partition.

3. Used an external Puppy [Slacko] to make all necessary config settings correct within...
/mnt/sdb1/puli.cfg
/mnt/sdb1/syslinux.cfg
/mnt/sdb1/timezone
/mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartload
And...

4. Made sure that all necessary packages [as loaded by the above listed smartload file settings] were inside the /mnt/sdb1/packages folder.

a. Booted into Puli.

b. All settings in the "Session Setup" dialog were CORRECT, so I OK'd that dialog. :D

c. Made all necessary or preferred changes as follows:
c1. Copied new wallpaper file to the /usr/share/backgrounds folder, and configured it for use.
c2. Configured the time display, and used Sync to synchronize the time.
c3. Clicked the "Backup" icon on the desktop to make a backup [it saved to /mnt/sdb1/backups].
c4. During reboot, clicked save: smart.

a. Once back to the Puli desktop...
EVERYTHING LOOKED & WORKED JUST AS I HOPED & EXPECTED. :D

b. Ran xfe and configured it for use.
b1. Deleted the old backup file, and made a new updated backup to include xfe configurations.
b2. During reboot, clicked save: smart.
b3. Rebooted just fine, and once back into the Puli desktop, ALL IS LOOKING GOOD & APPARENTLY WORKING WELL. :D

gjuhasz

Re: Re Puli install to USB

#86 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Rodney,

Thanks for the review.
Rodney Byne wrote:I made numerous changes but not having the help file immediately to hand, forgot to replug the flash drive before going through the save process so nothing was saved. What a waste of time.
Fixed in the current rc2 as follows: If either Save: backup or Save:smart option is selected but there is no pendrive plugged in, Puli leaves the shutdown/reboot procedure after the second attempt. So, all data remains in place. A kind warning message pops up, of course.
Again imo, the backup-save process needs rationalising
so there is only one option. Having a choice of two
seems unnecessary not to say confusing for the
untrained user.
I improved this a bit in rc2. I am thinking on further changes that support novices, e.g., change the text on the buttons from "Save: backup" to "Full backup" and from Save:smart" to "Smart save" (or, to "Update only").
I don't know what the average % of hacker attacks there are to domestic user distros, but even if it did happen, I would simply re-install that iso and start over again.
Nowadays, a "popular" hacker attack type is DoS/DDoS. Let me cite from Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack occurs when multiple systems flood the bandwidth or resources of a targeted system, usually one or more web servers. Such an attack is often the result of multiple compromised systems (for example a botnet) flooding the targeted system with traffic. A botnet is a network of zombie computers programmed to receive commands without the owners' knowledge.
So "even if it did happen I would simply re-install and start over again" will "never happen" because those (hundred-thousands of) machines become potential attackers in a seamless mode. In other words, a "domestic user" may have only two choices:
a) plays the role of a victim:
- either as a target of the attack (you are right, this happens rarely)
- or as a member of attack sources (yes, this happens many times, mostly with users who advertise that "I have nothing interesting on my machine".)
b) applies some defense, e.g., uses Puli, even if it seems a bit sophisticated for the first sight.

You may find websites dedicated to "live" cyber threat statistics, e.g. http://www.trendmicro.com/us/security-i ... index.html or http://threatmap.fortiguard.com/

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#87 Post by Sylvander »

1. "I am thinking on further changes that support novices, e.g., change the text on the buttons from "Save: backup" to "Full backup" and from Save:smart" to "Smart save" (or, to "Update only")."
a. I favor "Full backup" and "Update only", but then I don't fully understand [the differences in] what each does.
b. It would be nice if there was a display of buttons leading to explanations, or just a display of explanations.
I like when Puppy gives explanations along the way.
It's one of the things that turned me on to using Puppy.

2. "So "even if it did happen I would simply re-install and start over again" will "never happen"..."
I agree...
Way back, when I used Windows...
My Windows was infected with a Trojan without my knowing it.
It was my ISP who disabled my email serice that alerted me that there was a problem.
No Trojan was detected when I scanned...
Until I used the paid-for "Trojan Hunter" [recommended by my Virgin ISP].

REQUEST FOR A FEATURE:
a. Would it be possible to include [something like] a tick-box or button that would add/change the config settings in the various files so that chosen settings in the "Session Setup" dialog became the defaults.
b. They would remain the defaults across sessions, until changed using the same tick-box or button.
c. This would make really easy, the business of specifying new persistent defaults.

gjuhasz

Re: REQUEST FOR A FEATURE

#88 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Sylvander,

Thanks for the ideas, I try to implement them.
Sylvander wrote:It would be nice if there was a display of buttons leading to explanations, or just a display of explanations.
I am thinking about the best format.
Sylvander wrote:... a tick-box or button that would add/change the config settings in the various files so that chosen settings in the "Session Setup" dialog became the defaults... They would remain the defaults across sessions, until changed using the same tick-box or button. This would make really easy, the business of specifying new persistent defaults.
Note that Session Setup (intentionally renamed from QuickSetup) dialog appears at each bootup to help you overwrite (your predefined) persistent settings for the given session. So, I would avoid abandoning this concept.
However, I can do something like this by involving more config items either in the puli.cfg or in the smartsave.default file. Then, (why not?) let's see if a "Persistent" button makes sense.

I would appreciate if you could provide me with a list of parameters to be involved.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#89 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Note that Session Setup (intentionally renamed from QuickSetup) dialog appears at each bootup to help you overwrite (your predefined) persistent settings for the given session. So, I would avoid abandoning this concept."
a. I understand what you are saying; I'm not suggesting that this be abandoned, it would/should still be possible to change the settings for the present session.
But it would/should be possible to ALSO make those new session settings the new defaults.
b. Those new defaults would be displayed at the beginning of the next session, and they could either be accepted, or changed, AND...
If changed, those new settings could be ETHER:
Made the new defaults, AND also used for the session...
OR...
ONLY used for the session, not made the new defaults

2. "I would appreciate if you could provide me with a list of parameters to be involved."
Global language, region, keyboard language, numlock-on, firewall-on, sync-on, run-as-spot-not-on,

gjuhasz

Explanation

#90 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:It would be nice if there was a display of buttons leading to explanations, or just a display of explanations.
I like when Puppy gives explanations along the way.
It's one of the things that turned me on to using Puppy.
I added the explanation text to the exit dialog as shown in the below picture.
Made the new defaults, AND also used for the session...
OR...
ONLY used for the session, not made the new defaults
Thanks for the list of parameters.
The button is already in place :) I am working on the code behind.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
explanation.jpg
The explanation text to the exit dialog
(46.28 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

Sylvander

#91 Post by Sylvander »

1. "I added the explanation text to the exit dialog as shown in the below picture."
I like it, BUT...
a. Although I understand the general idea, there are parts I don't understand, or where my understanding is imperfect, or may be faulty.
I'll now explain what I THINK I understand, but may not:
b."...the smartload packages and the security profile are excluded..."
b1. "packages" may be sfs, pet, deb files. They are normally held within the "/mnt/sdb1/packages" folder, but could actually be anywhere on /mnt/sdb1.
b2. A "smartload" file [perhaps "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartload"] has lines of code within it that specify which "packages" are to be loaded during Starup.
e.g. "restore_latest" is an important example, since that loads the latest "backup", by loading "/mnt/sdb1/packages/restore_latest-1.5.pet" at Startup.
c1. "security profile": I choose "force_rigorous" within the "smartload" file. Is this the content of the "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/1-rigorous" folder?
I notice there are executable files within the "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/1-rigorous/usr/local/bin" folder.
Do these scripts auto-run during and after startup because "1-rigorous" is auto-run by smartload?

2. "...it is recommended to use the same boot environment if you need to restore this backup later..."
a. What is "the same boot environment"? I [think I] understand what an OS [or software] environment is.
Would a "boot environment" be the "software or OS environment" that exists immediately the boot process finishes?
So does the above quote mean: that a user must only restore a backup from the same software/OS environment in which it was made?
b. How would a user know exactly what the environment was when [s]he made the backup?

3. "Selection and target locations are controlled by the actual content of the /smartsave folder."
That's the content of the "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartsave/Default.smartsave" in my Puli.
I've looked inside that file, and I'm none the wiser, since I'm not at that level of understanding.
I do notice it mentions the following:
/mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc/simple_network_setup/
/etc/asound.state
/etc/passw*
/etc/shado*
/root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences
/root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Default/Bookmarks
/root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Local?State
/root/my-documents
/root/.config/homebank

gjuhasz

The variety of Puli config options

#92 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:I'll now explain what I THINK I understand, but may not:
Your interpretations are correct. Puli works as a Lego-like system that consists of blocks as follows:

1) the skeleton (ldlinux.sys; syslinux.cfg; vmlinuz; initrd.gz; puppy_puli-6.0.3.sfs; puppy_puli-6.0.3.zdrv;)
2) the selectable profiles in /profiles folder including some Common files
3) the external packages (.pet; .sfs; .deb)
4) the Puli-specific control files (puli,cfg; mild; rigorous; crazy; lazy) that configure the features mentioned in 2) and 3) above and set up the session-level behavior (i.e., the collection of extra packages, their session-level and shutdown-time behavior, and some nice-to-have add-ons, e.g., application selection by desktop icons. Some controls can be dynamically updated, e.g., by the restore-latest.pet package.
5) the patch structure, which may contain user data, executables and even control files.
6) backups (separate timestamped files) that can be restored independently or on the top of each other based on your (per-session) choice.

Notice that all "Lego blocks" listed above remain intact because the pendrive is plugged out during your session (or unmounted at least) thus they are safely preserved for the next sessions. Of course, you can edit them manually or can utilize various Puli features to update some of them.
"security profile": I choose "force_rigorous" within the "smartload" file. Is this the content of the "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/1-rigorous" folder?
I notice there are executable files within the "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/1-rigorous/usr/local/bin" folder.
Do these scripts auto-run during and after startup because "1-rigorous" is auto-run by smartload?
Yes. Correct. Yes. Remind that you can overwrite the preset security profile with a smartloaded force profile. This is why the security profile is excluded from the backup.
Would a "boot environment" be the "software or OS environment" that exists immediately the boot process finishes?
So does the above quote mean: that a user must only restore a backup from the same software/OS environment in which it was made?
b. How would a user know exactly what the environment was when [s]he made the backup?
This is not a "must" but only "recommended". Practically, the "same boot environment" means a compatible (selection in the chosen) smartload file.
The boot logs, including the content of the smartload file can be found in /root/tmp folder.
3. "Selection and target locations are controlled by the actual content of the /smartsave folder."
That's the content of the "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartsave/Default.smartsave" in my Puli.
I've looked inside that file, and I'm none the wiser, since I'm not at that level of understanding.
I do notice it mentions the following:
/mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc/simple_network_setup/
/etc/asound.state
/etc/passw*
/etc/shado*
/root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences
/root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Default/Bookmarks
/root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Local?State
/root/my-documents
/root/.config/homebank
Correct. Remind thst some Puli-specific packages add other .smartsave files to this folder. Also, in the meantime, I have put a preservesession.smartsave file there to fulfill your requirement :) See the related screenshot attached.
This Puli version will be uploaded in a couple of days.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Puli_options.jpg
(96.14 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

Sylvander

#93 Post by Sylvander »

1. Thanks for the explanations; I'll read and re-read in an attempt to increase my depth of understanding. :D

2. "I have put a preservesession.smartsave file there to fulfill your requirement..."
Wonderful! :D

3. "See the related screenshot attached.
This Puli version will be uploaded in a couple of days.
"
Super! :D
This should be particularly helpful to new users, and also to long-term users.

Sylvander

Re: The variety of Puli config options

#94 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:This Puli version will be uploaded in a couple of days.
Did I miss it?
Where is it?

gjuhasz

#95 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:
gjuhasz wrote:This Puli version will be uploaded in a couple of days.
Did I miss it?
Where is it?
Dear Sylvander,

It is ready but I cannot upload it yet because my home Internet is broken. I can write from my workplace only. :(

But the good news is that I could improve some features while I was offline :)

Edit: For example, a new Firewall concept has been introduced (new Firewall menu, settings showed by icon colors, etc). See the below picture.

Have fun!

Regards

gjuhasz
Attachments
New_Firewal_concept.jpg
New Firewall concept in Puli.
(11.29 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Last edited by gjuhasz on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 08:40, edited 3 times in total.

Sylvander

#96 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:I cannot upload it yet because my home Internet is broken.
OK, I'll try and be patient. :D

gjuhasz

Uploading Puli 6.0.4

#97 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:
gjuhasz wrote:I cannot upload it yet because my home Internet is broken.
OK, I'll try and be patient. :D
Uploading Puli 6.0.4

:)

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#98 Post by Sylvander »

1. Posting this from Puli-6.0.4 :D
Bringing it into use was easy, now that I know how to edit the content of certain files as listed by me in an earlier post.
Although, with the new tick-box I see in the "Session Setup" dialog window, I guess all of that is now un-necessary.
Aught I to leave that ticked, even though all of the defaults are already as I want them, and need no alteration?

2. There is apparently no md5sum supplied for Puli-6.0.4 :(

3. Puli-6.0.4 appears to be functioning well.
Seems to be doing all I want it to do.
If I see any mis-behavior I'll report back.

gjuhasz

MD5

#99 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Sylvander,

Thanks (again) for testing the new Puli release before its announcement :)
Sylvander wrote:Although, with the new tick-box I see in the "Session Setup" dialog window, I guess all of that is now un-necessary.
Aught I to leave that ticked, even though all of the defaults are already as I want them, and need no alteration?
You requested it :) and I was happy to implement it because I am sure it is advantageous. The user has to log in the system anyway to confirm / change the settings - and why not in the Session Setup (aka QuickSetup) dialog?.

During the first appearance of the dialog, if the "Also in future sessions " box is ticked, the changes are saved immediately on the boot device (which is plugged in yet but the system is offline at this phase). In contrast, if you invoke the same dialog later (while the pendrive is removed and the network is connected), saving is delayed (until you select Save: backup or Save: smart somewhen within / at the end of the session).

This way you can play with different settings within the same session and preserve the best one for the future but you don't need the pendrive plugged in while you are online.
Sylvander wrote:There is apparently no md5sum supplied for Puli-6.0.4
I uploaded the Puli_install.zip.sha file together with the release. It contains MD5, SHA1 and SHA256 control sums as follows:

Code: Select all

# MD5
20727c1913fcae4ce9272e3eb681b2bc  Puli_install.zip
# SHA1
8d9396f0c024eef48fb8887825cf297580b96aeb  Puli_install.zip
# SHA256
5c6af8c7858cfadd14a8a76e0ac7cb27fd35b4b5ae0524c9bd2cd31f058958f5  Puli_install.zip
I announce Puli 6.0.4 here and edit the first page soon.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#100 Post by Sylvander »

1. "You requested it :D and I was happy to implement it because I am sure it is advantageous. The user has to log in the system anyway to confirm / change the settings - and why not in the Session Setup (aka QuickSetup) dialog?."
It's a really nice feature, and I'm very glad you've added it, but I'm trying to understand how best to use it, as I explain below.

2. "During the first appearance of the dialog, if the "Also in future sessions " box is ticked, the changes are saved immediately on the boot device..."
a. I have no problem understanding that; what follows in 2b below is what I'm trying to get my mind around.
b. When the "Also in future sessions" box is ticked in the 1st session, and that results in the config settings being recorded inside the appropriate files...
And then a backup is made that includes those settings...
And that backup is auto-restored during startup, in 2nd and later sessions...
So that the settings are already applied when the user arrives at the desktop...
c. Surely it's redundant to now have the "Also in future sessions" box checked/ticked, since that would result in config settings being written that are already written/recorded.
It would do no harm, but is un-necessary, methinks.
i.e. Since the settings are already recorded and applied, the "Also in future sessions" box could be unticked [and the existing backup replaced by a new backup], and the desired settings would still be applied.
The box would only need to be ticked if there was a configuration change [new setting] that the user wanted to be saved for future sessions [using a new backup].