Fatdog64-700/701 [April 22 2015] [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LateAdopter

#81 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello jamesbond & kirk

Thank you for fatdog64 700, it is working well.
I have repeated the media player experiments that I did on fd7b1. Here are the results.

Radeon UVD on my RS880G chipset initialises correctly when I put the RS780_uvd.bin firmware in /lib/firmware/radeon.

Radeon VDPAU is configured already in fd7 so vdpauinfo gives:

Code: Select all

# vdpauinfo
display: :0   screen: 0
API version: 1
Information string: G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0

Video surface:

name   width height types
-------------------------------------------
420     8192  8192  NV12 YV12 
422     8192  8192  UYVY YUYV 
444     8192  8192  Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 

Decoder capabilities:

name               level macbs width height
-------------------------------------------
MPEG1                 0  9216  2048  1152
MPEG2_SIMPLE          3  9216  2048  1152
MPEG2_MAIN            3  9216  2048  1152
H264_BASELINE        41  9216  2048  1152
H264_MAIN            41  9216  2048  1152
H264_HIGH            41  9216  2048  1152
VC1_ADVANCED          4  9216  2048  1152
To get Radeon VAAPI working I installed the libva package from the repo.
I put: export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=gallium in /etc/profile. Then vainfo gives:

# vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.36.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'gallium'
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/gallium_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_36
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.36 (libva 1.4.0.pre1)
vainfo: Driver version: mesa gallium vaapi
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Baseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
However the Radeon UVD still locks up the GPU quite frequently, so its not recommended on these GPUs. A bug, for this, was raised on freedesktop in early October, but AMD have done nothing about it.

I have also installed MPV and SMPlayer by repackaging Ubuntu Trusty .debs from the Launchpad PPAs, and adding all of the missing dependencies.

SMPlayer now works with MPV

Thanks again

olinm

#82 Post by olinm »

@olinm: "https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2015-0240" - Samba 4.0.25 which adddressed the problem is now in the repo. Samba 3.0.37 built-into Fatdog is not affected by this problem.
Thanks for that. :)
@olinm: "ozibox is now giving 100 GB of cloud storage". - Please feel free to help us to maintain another mirror for others.
Someone else will have to do that if they wish as i have too many work commitments for the next couple of years to keep it updated.

Juts thought it might be of interest being free.
@olinm: "Any idea what is going on and what it would be accessing the HDD drive for?" - No idea. In terminal, run "iostat -d 1" and see if you've got any number read/written to your harddisk when you run the suspicious problem.
Thanks , i'll give it a go when i have more time.

No biggy , just curious if i have some wierd hardware quirk going on if no one else is getting it.
@olinm: "there isn't Nvidia proprietary drivers" - we'll build it as soon as we've got the time.
@olinm: "Shouldn't a big red button appear on the desktop when setting the ram save interval to zero? " - Big red button changed to "Save RAM layer" button, still in the top-right-corner. It will show up when you use the RAM layer, regardless of the RAM save-interval.
Don't know if it because i'm tired and not used Fatdog for months waiting for the final but i'm abit confused by that reply.

How do i disable ram save and get the manual save button as i thought you had to change the control panel ram save interval to zero.

Can't see a "Save RAM layer" button any where?

:arrow: Thanks for replying to every comment , Fatdog is looking great and is really fast. :)

kirk

#83 Post by kirk »

I'm having a problem on my Acer Aspire ES1-512 laptop when browsing in SeaMonkey and wondered whether anyone else was experiencing it. When scrolling down a page I suddenly get an area blacked out as in the screenshot or the text poorly rendered as below the blacked out area. Pg Up followed by Pg Dn resolves the issue until the next occurrence. I'm still using a usb mouse since have been unable to get clickpad to work. (EDIT - also occurs with mouse unplugged and scrolling using arrow buttons.) Any ideas anyone?
Some of the Acer Aspires use a really odd video chip. Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if it's using the intel driver, you'll see some reference to intel_drv.so. If so, use the package manager (Gslapt) and remove the xf86-video-intel package. Then restart X. You'll be using the frame buffer driver at this point, so no hardware acceleration, but it might be better.

If you don't see intel_drv.so in your xorg log, open a terminal and type:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | gzip > /root/spot/Downloads/xorg-log.gz
Then attach the file from your Downloads folder to a post so I can look at it.

Ted Dog

#84 Post by Ted Dog »

Give xine in the package repo a try I have a AMD and it works amazing vlc and mplayer both double CPU and still can't keep up.

B164D

#85 Post by B164D »

kirk wrote:
Some of the Acer Aspires use a really odd video chip. Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if it's using the intel driver, you'll see some reference to intel_drv.so. If so, use the package manager (Gslapt) and remove the xf86-video-intel package. Then restart X. You'll be using the frame buffer driver at this point, so no hardware acceleration, but it might be better.
Thanks kirk - problem solved!

Doglover

#86 Post by Doglover »

@Doglover: pmedia and psubdir isn't used in Fatdog.....

OK but what is this?
Attachments
2fatdoginstall.jpg
(48.82 KiB) Downloaded 612 times

Ted Dog

#87 Post by Ted Dog »

its grub4dos fugal install I used it in the full fatdog64 thread. If you have a GPT style harddrive even if booted in BIOS legacy mode it will not function or worse cause a hybrid situation which can blow up unexpectedly later down the road I know from experience not a good choice.

Doglover

#88 Post by Doglover »

thanks Ted

step

#89 Post by step »

olinm wrote:
olinm wrote:Shouldn't a big red button appear on the desktop when setting the ram save interval to zero?

If so then it's not working.
------------------^
I don't know about FD final, I'm still running beta2, I haven't had time to upgrade yet. But in beta2 there's actually a "save RAM layer" icon of a disk drive with a blue down arrow. No big red button, contrary to what the FD event manager tooltip says (I guess it needs updating).
Besides, when I set up save interval equals to zero I think I also had to adapt the kernel boot line, but I don't remember exactly what I did. Below is my line. I run FD in ram, and save to a USB stick manually by clicking the "save RAM layer" icon on the desktop

kernel /boot-fd64/vmlinuz waitdev=1 base2ram basesfs=usb:/puppy-fd64-700/fd64.sfs savefile=ram:usb:/puppy-fd64-700/fd64save
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

smokey01

#90 Post by smokey01 »

FD700 includes the findutils-4.4.2 package. Updatedb creates a database of all your files and locate searches the database to find them. This is a very efficient way to find your files providing you keep the database up to date.

Linked below is a simple GUI called locator to make the process easier.
http://smokey01.com/fd700/packages/loca ... x86_64.txz

Ted Dog

#91 Post by Ted Dog »

would that help finding dups?

smokey01

#92 Post by smokey01 »

Probably. Look on my site in the tahrpup area. You might need the findutils package as well.

olinm

#93 Post by olinm »

step wrote:
olinm wrote:
olinm wrote:Shouldn't a big red button appear on the desktop when setting the ram save interval to zero?

If so then it's not working.
------------------^
I don't know about FD final, I'm still running beta2, I haven't had time to upgrade yet. But in beta2 there's actually a "save RAM layer" icon of a disk drive with a blue down arrow. No big red button, contrary to what the FD event manager tooltip says (I guess it needs updating).
Besides, when I set up save interval equals to zero I think I also had to adapt the kernel boot line, but I don't remember exactly what I did. Below is my line. I run FD in ram, and save to a USB stick manually by clicking the "save RAM layer" icon on the desktop

kernel /boot-fd64/vmlinuz waitdev=1 base2ram basesfs=usb:/puppy-fd64-700/fd64.sfs savefile=ram:usb:/puppy-fd64-700/fd64save
Thanks Sage but there must be a problem with the final.

Fresh install , set ram interval to zero but no icon appeared anywhere. :(

olinm

#94 Post by olinm »

James , Kirk

It turns out that the HDD read / write access noise i get when i install Firefox is my NAS drive waking up from sleep mode to network activity at the router.

So nothing to do with Fatdog or my Main bench system :oops: :mrgreen:

The way that it's wedged at the side of my open bench was resonating through the side of the case that made it sound like one of my main drives working.

Sorry about that , very embarrassing.

I blame being awake for 18 hours , so not the best time to test things. :)

SFR

#95 Post by SFR »

SFR wrote:I still have no clue how to do the same with the other, post-boot maps in /usr/share/keymaps that are being loaded later, by rc.sysinit.
After I use (as it is in sysinit):

setfont lat2-12
loadkeys pl
all I'm getting are inverted question marks, unless I set LANG=en_US (can't be UTF-8!) and issue unicode_stop command.
I have a gut feeling that it can be done without those workarounds, but haven't figured it out yet...

EDIT: Just checked in VBox and in Slax's console setfont lat2-16; loadkeys pl works as expected... I'm wondering what's the difference...

Thanks &
Greetings!
Ok, I think I have found a partial solution. Diacritics for the following langs work fine with lat2a-16 font:
rc.sysinit wrote: cz*|hu*|pl*|ro*|sk*|croat*|slovene*)
modprobe nls_cp852
modprobe nls_iso8859-2
setfont lat2a-16
echo lat2a-16 > /etc/fontmap
echo 852 > /etc/codepage
;;
It's somewhat bigger than lat2-12, but personally I find it more comfortable to read.

I don't know which font should be chosen for de*|be*|br*|dk*|es*|fi*|fr*|it*|no*|se*|pt*) though...

EDIT: Nope, it doesn't work well.
It displays diacritics properly when using the keyboard, but fails while displaying a UTF-8 text file (which in turn is fine with lat2-12).
Oh well, back to square one...

[later]
Ok, another try - I believe it's simply a matter of loadkeys binary that is in FD (problems with converting, mentioned earlier, seem to confirm this).
I took one from the latest Porteus-x86_64 and it worked, however (like it was with Slax's) it expects the keymaps directory to be in /usr/share/kbd/ dir, not just /usr/share/.
[EDIT: loadkeys from Ubuntu's kbd_1.15.5-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb works fine without the need of having /usr/share/kbd]

# Fatdog:
# loadkeys --version
loadkeys from kbd 2.0.1
# 
# Porteus:
# ./loadkeys --version
loadkeys from kbd 1.15.3
# 
No idea if it's because of the version or the way it's been compiled...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

jamesbond

#96 Post by jamesbond »

@olinm - glad you find the cause of your worry.

@SFR: Thanks. I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to figure this out, too. I think I've figured out how it works, I'll write the details another time. For now, the best solution I can come up with it this: "setfont -m 8859-2 lat2-16" (or lat2-12, or whatever); that's for "pl" keymap.

The way I tested: your way (Alt+acelnos), then also catting "utflist" from data/consoletrans/utiflist from the kbd package (http://kbd-project.org/download/) - both the Alt and the content of the utflist when catted should display correctly.

For the backspace to work correctly, LANG must be UTF-8 otherwise you get funny characters. Perhaps it's time to heed L18L's call that we should set LANG to UTF-8 at all times.

I've also tested similar solution in initrd and it seems to work too (no need to rebuild the keymap files with --unicode).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

olinm

#97 Post by olinm »

jamesbond

No desktop icon is appearing when setting the ram interval to Zero.

olinm

#98 Post by olinm »

VLC 2.2.0 has just been released

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/2.2.0.html

http://www.videolan.org/press/vlc-2.2.0.html

Major new release of VLC with a new hardware acceleration mechanism, GPU 0-copy decoding, faster and implementations for Linux, Android, and Raspberry Pi.

:D

SFR

#99 Post by SFR »

olinm wrote:No desktop icon is appearing when setting the ram interval to Zero.
jamesbond wrote:@olinm: "Shouldn't a big red button appear on the desktop when setting the ram save interval to zero? " - Big red button changed to "Save RAM layer" button, still in the top-right-corner. It will show up when you use the RAM layer, regardless of the RAM save-interval.
To complement what James wrote: this icon's presence does not depend on the value of 'RAM save interval' and this setting is relevant only if you're using RAM layer, i.e. you have specified ram as a layer in 'savefile=layer:location' boot parameter.

More detailed info:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html

HTH
And of course +1 for LANG=...UTF-8.

Thanks a lot &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

olinm

#100 Post by olinm »

I don't remember having to change the boot options in past to get the ram save icon , so that's what was throwing me.

Thanks