#1 Post by Dry Falls »

README5- Just-Lighthouse64: Mariner64-4.0.1
subtitle: Lighthouse for All-Intel oem & pos machines
App: Multiple apps & scrty updates
Version: JL64-602b2-a1-b3.1.2.3c...dash a-b
Homepage: www.puppylinux.org
www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602

Changes from L64-602b2:

k4.0.1 compiled with a slightly modified SUKK-Universal (StemSee's Kernel Compiling Kit)
replaced kernel modules.sfs in initrd.xz
fall-back to devx and kernel sources as seperate files
fall-back to zwine (autoloads). To run pure64 (no wine or 32 libs), simply add the boot kernel parameter, pfix=Pure64.

New Built-in Packages:

xvidcap-1.1.7-x86_64-1|Screencam
xpad-4.1-x86_fd64|Jot down notes for later
PupMenu-3.1|Menu item launcher and editor
pwidgets_amd64-2.3.3|Pwidgets tiny desktop apps
wbar-2.3.4-2pclos2012.x86_64|Desktop icon panel & launcher
cursor_themes-1-1|themes for mouse cursor
dictd-1.10.10-x86_64|online cmd based dictionary
firewallstate-2.5-x86_64|firewallstaterun tray icon
bash-4.2.053-x86_64-1_slack14.1|bash upgrade
libacpi-0.2-x86_64-1|acpi libraries
wget-1.14-x86_64-2_slack14.0|wget upgrade
f2fs-tools-2014.0331-x86_64-1|f2fs-tools
remove_buildins-L64_602|Remove Built-in Packages
rpm2tgz-1.2.2-x86_64-1|rpm2tgz
bridge-utils-1.5-x86_64-1|network bridge-utils
slapt-get-0.10.2r|+curl,+cyrus-sasl,+glibc-solibs,+gpgme,+libassuan,+libgpg-error,+libidn,+openldap-client,+openssl,+,+zlib|Slackware APT Like System
gslapt-0.5.3h-x86_64-1sl|Package installer
acpid-2.0.21-x86_64|acpi event monitor
savefile2dir-1.3|open save-file
openssl-1.0.1k|Secure Socket Layer update fixes several security issues
openssl-solibs-1.0.1k-x86_64-1_slack14.1
libevent-2.0.20|+glibc-solibs,+openssl,+|when a specific event occurs on a file descriptor
glibc-2.17-x86_64-9_slack14.1|BuildingBlock
glib2-2.36.4-x86_64-1|BuildingBlock
nluug_get-1.0.1|custom downloader
Unetbootin-581-x86_64-1gv|Install iso to usb stick
gccmakedep-1.0.2|BuildingBlock
gcc-objc-4.8.2-x86_64-1|BuildingBlock
gcc-4.8.2-x86_64-1|BuildingBlock
gcc-g++-4.8.2-x86_64-1|BuildingBlock
gcc-java-4.8.2-x86_64-1|BuildingBlock
udisks2-2.1.3-x86_64-1_slack14.1|BuildingBlock
udisks-1.0.5-x86_64-1_slack14.1|BuildingBlock
gvfs-1.16.3-x86_64-2|gnome virtual file system
BaCon|Basic (programing language) Converter
ppm_auto-1.9.7|Puppy package manager
dillo-3.0.4.1|fast web browser
eudev-1.3.9.git.g0a6fb50-x86_64-1|replacement for udev-lfs but without systemd
and more...

ADDEND:

Just-Lighthouse is a computer operating system, not a cell-phone app.

As with Tazoc's original, Just-Lighthouse64 is shipped with three desktop flavors: the ever-tried and true JWM, lxde and open-box. Xfce is included in the 4_kde-4.10.5-x86_64-alt.sfs addon, stripped of systemd, making a total of five flavors.

'profile.sfs' is a skeleton file which will autoload at boot-up and is meant to be edited (right click -- edit-sfs) to include personal configuragion files such as your mozilla directory (or anything you'd want to place there, should you not want any sort of session save. As an example, it contains a mozilla directory in '/root' which is Tazoc's original configuration for Firefox-spot in Lighthouse64, adapted to run Icecat and Seamonkey (as 'root) as well. The newer browsers must generate their own .mozilla directory and cache on first run for all BUT root.

Just-Lighthouse64 comes with three mozilla browsers as separate sfs addons tailored for this distribution - Icecat, Seamonkey and Firefox - as well as Konqueror, a pretty hefty web package which comes on the kde sfs file. Like the pups of old, the ultra-light Dillo is built back in. Just-Lighthouse also has available an updated chrome browser (chromium-40), opera and vivaldi as sfs addons. Seamonkey still has the email program, html editor and contact organizer as did it's actual predecessor, the netscape communicator suite, which is why I include it. Just saying.

Also as in Tazoc's original, Just-Lighthouse64 is backwards-compatable with slackware back at least to 13.0 but now forward-compatible with 14.1 as well and perhaps even the slackware which is yet to come (currently called "Current"). It will still install pets, txz and rpm, and with some effort, debs, making it friendly to just about everybody. That is because, before slackware and even fatdog and its 64 bit compatibility and uefi bootability, it is still ... a woof-build.

Lastly, should you wish to install other lighthouse packages (pet or sfs) who's title includes the distro name, it may smooth the installation if you rename *L64* to *JL64*. It's just the 'J' which makes the difference. The final concern is the update manager which calls up a new pkg_list. It is disabled (in startup and menu) until a website (other than g-drive) can be found to host the distro.

New SFS:

kde-wallpapers-4.10.5-x86_64-1.sfs (Includes an assortment of LHP backgrounds as well)
6_kde-xtras.sfs (game package, edu & artwork)
4_KDE-4.10.5-x86_64-alt.sfs (includes xfce)
5_KDE-4.10.5-x86_64J.sfs (includes xfce, systemd,avahi)
kernel_sources-4.0.1-JL.sfs (recompiled for newly recompiled kernel)
Devx-JL64_602.sfs (updated, expanded, no kernel source)
Firefox35.01_602c.sfs (web browser)
Icecat-31.4.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.sfs (web browser)
Seamonkey-2.33-x86_64-1.sfs (web browser)
documentation.sfs (info, docs, man for a complete 14.1 upgrade)
chromium-40b.0.2214.91-x86_64-1alien.sfs (latest chromium browser)
StarOffice7-i586_en.sfs (Complete office suite, runs under wine -- includes some proprietary elements)
Vivaldi_TP_1.0.83.38-1.x86_64.sfs (web browser)
Opera-stable_27.0.16-x86_64-1.sfs (web browser)

Download Links:

Extrasfs (Extra packages)

Just_Lighthouse (JL64-602-MF.iso -aka Just_Lighthouse )

Thank's all.
df
Last edited by Dry Falls on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 06:18, edited 12 times in total.

stemsee

#2 Post by stemsee »

I look forward to installing this along side my other stable OSes.

If you have any requests for my remastering suite in regard to your new distros please ask.

stemsee

p.s. Where is the link? You could also share them from google drive account (5gb free with every gmail account) Then get gdrive-get or nluug-get and add your repo to that for easy multiple downloads.

Dry Falls

P64

#3 Post by Dry Falls »

stemsee wrote:If you have any requests for my remastering suite in regard to your new distros please ask.

Where is the link? You could also share them from google drive account (5gb free with every gmail account) Then get gdrive-get or nluug-get and add your repo to that for easy multiple downloads.
What would be really handy is if remaster could work with an iso instead of just a rebuild directory or physical cd/dvd media. On that note, is there a way to get ppm and slapt-get on speaking terms so that var/slapt-get and root/.packages are in agreement?

I tried a bare bones upload of P64 to google drive. 330 M took 45 minutes to upload! (the image contains devx along with firefox & seamonkey sfs's).

The link is https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

It should take you to the folder, which also contains the md5 file and readme.

Bear in mind that I'm completely new to all of this. I discover errors I've made almost daily. I didn't compile the kernels for LH64 because of my naivete but also because they work so well as-is.

Very occasionally, there is (with k3.17.4) a kernel oops when invoking psnapmerge, but the save always seems to work. The counter-spell which may only be co-incidental but works 100% of the time is to say "please (3x), no, please (4x)" during the process. Would recompiling the kernel avoid the necessity for magical intervention?

Anyway, I'm really pleased and impressed with LH64. As Dan Akroyd once said, "It's a floor wax AND a desert topping!" Perhaps with some expert help, we can all be proud of this distro.

By the way, I could find no other reference to gdrive-get. Any info would be appreciated.

stemsee

#4 Post by stemsee »

gdrive-get (by Fredx181) is included in this package, also includes smokey-get. Dependencies include yad 0.27 +, elinks text-based browser (ppm),

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2e334e1d37

I used LH64 during an intensive course CELTa by Cambridge Uni, it was solid. I don't know about slapt-get and ppm, seems the problem will be their separate databases. Need to write a script to convert the dbs to each other's format (for me it wouldn't be easy). Compiling kernels is not a problem. I am working on an unattended kernel compiling script, which builds 64bit 32bit-pae and 32bit-nonpae consecutively without intervention or instruction. Right now I am testing my update, so tomorrow I may be able to provide a new 64bit kernel (3.18.3) ....

regards stemsee

stemsee

#5 Post by stemsee »

I was just running your iso in Qemu. Looks like you did a great job! A worthy upgrade. Tonight I will transfer this to my hdd and usb drives and test extensively.

:)

ally

#6 Post by ally »

stemsee

#7 Post by stemsee »

I had to downgrade firefox as GLIBC-2.17 is not installed only libc-2.15.so
Touchscreen works, but mouse always repositions to bottom right, and is very slow.

System is very fast indeed.

EDIT: increasing mouse acceleration has no effect!

Still a great job. I will try to find solutions, maybe from Fatdog 700b
Last edited by stemsee on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

battleshooter

#8 Post by battleshooter »

Good to see someone is working on Lighthouse Pup. It's one of the longstanding giants in the Puppy hall of fame, would be a shame to see all that work outdated. Keep up the good work Dry Falls. I can't test due to a limited internet connection, but good luck :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

Downloaded, DVD created, default boot to FirstRUN. FirstRUN set, desktop restarted, and PPM updated. I was thrown for a loop when clicking the FF desktop icon, but see now that it must be downloaded. I will try @Shinobar's Portable initially. And, also, @PeeBee has a Chromium solution for 64bit.

Next to download browser(s) and figure why Menu>Network>Samba Simple Management will not start the server.

At this point, excepting the one item, all looks well.

Edit 1: Following the finding from @StemSee, I went to the PPM for GLIBC. But not to be found.

Edit 2: FF 25 added from PPM. Works from desktop and from Menu>Internet>FF Update Help, but unable to update FF using Help>About ...

Must leave but will return after meetings, late today.

stemsee

#10 Post by stemsee »

The Firefox34.sfs works fine! My ineptitude!

Dry Falls

#11 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks, and to ally for the google alternative.

Yes, Ive uploaded the two light versions which contain firefox and seamonkey sfs files. (You have to load them). Also, there is an iso containing twelve new sfs files. I didn't include kde and xfce and other files available elsewhere, even though I run with them for the extra punch (I happen to like thunar and some kde apps like ark)

I had updated glibc from slackware in an earlier incarnation, and it worked under one kernel but not the other. Something I goofed up on, so took it out till I can get it working consistently.

The "Mariner" versions are next on the upload list, but that will have to wait til tomorrow.

You're all much appreciated!

df

Dry Falls

glibc

#12 Post by Dry Falls »

To reproduce the problem with glibc, I installed it with devx loaded, no problem but the package takes up an extra 144 M to the save file. Obviously, slapt-get doesnt "trim the fat". Was able to compile an sfs, and it works on the other version (fathouse). The test is to see if google chrome v39 runs, and xerrs.log returned this:

...FATAL:setuid_sandbox_client.cc(282)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /opt/google/chrome/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755..

chmod & change permissions...that suggestion didn't work.

I decided to uninstall glibc with g-slapt but apparently it had overwritten necessary files. It returned a 'pkgtools error" and everything proceeded to disintegrate. First the firewall, then pupfrontend and autofstab went on an endless loop. A new pupsave with the updated glibc (sfs), however, runs flawlessly. I guess some troubles you just can't back out of and some installs can't be undone. Unless I'm missing something, lesson learned.

Still not sure what I've missed. In the mean time, I've uploaded glibc-2.17-x86_64-9_slack14.1.sfs to 'Newfiles' https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing Can't be sure whether it's working. There's supposed to be a glib test tool installed. Need to track that down to see what it does. I feel like the guy who pressed the red button which, too late, flashed: "Under no circumstances! Do not press this button!"

stemsee

#13 Post by stemsee »

Well you're really on top of this thing! I will test your glibc-2.17-* .
I am the sort of guy who reads the sign "Don't press the red button!" and presses it anyway ;-) because it might have a bug and not work! But usually it does. I hate learning the hard way ... but genetic tendencies are hard to resist.

Dry Falls

#14 Post by Dry Falls »

stemsee wrote:I will test your glibc-2.17-*
Thanks. I've noticed it places a symlink to /bin/sln in the top directory. I think that is a mistake. It should be able to be removed or replace the previous symlink in /bin/ from 2.15.

df

gcmartin

#15 Post by gcmartin »

Something shared in an earlier thread suggests that maybe, both, your BASE and your Mariner have a limit of 12 SFSs that it will identify (or is it load) if found on the root of the DVD. That is, when LightHouse boots, it will only allow 12 SFSs.

Is this true, anyone?

If this is true, is this a static list or a dynamic one? I ask this 2nd question as it has "direct" interrelationship with LIghtHouse's "Update" desktop icon where it will list available SFSs and how they are active in the running system.

LightHouse is still the only distro who has magically made this a unique beneficial feature of the distro. Prior to 602 I had added SFSs to the Mariner DVD's root and the boot process picked them up.

Incidentally, like @StemSee, there are some tracking issues on Touchscreen laptop, which prior to this, did not occur. Any information anyone would want me to produce to support nailing this, I will upon asking (on this thread).

Dry Falls

#16 Post by Dry Falls »

gcmartin wrote:there are some tracking issues on Touchscreen laptop, which prior to this, did not occur.
I would imagine this would be a case for compiling the kernel specifically for lighthouse instead of just slapping it in 'as-is' from fd700b1 or lxPup64, which was done here. I don't have a touch screen, but there is some other behaviour which, for example, does not occur in fatdog (like eject and safely remove) but does here.

I think the most important consideration in this case is communication between the kernel and Xorg server.

df

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Dry Falls
Dry Falls wrote:
gcmartin wrote:... Touchscreen ...
I would imagine ... compiling the kernel ...
I just saw @StemSee's achievement on kernel generation ===> here.

Hope this helps
P.S. I am trying to locate some instruction from @01Micko on Slacko64 months ago where he provided a simple command line resolution. If found, will post.

stemsee

#18 Post by stemsee »

Hi DryFalls

I compiled this 3.18.3 kernel. I am no sure how you add them to L64. I actually booted with the kernel, but the modules weren't loaded ... not sure where to put them actually, they don't seem to be in the usual place!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Dry Falls

modules

#19 Post by Dry Falls »

The kernel modules are an sfs inside the initrd. I edit it from ram or another os (ie., no autosave). Here's what Tazoc said:
mkdir initrd-tree; cd initrd-tree/; xzcat ../initrd.xz | cpio -d -i -m
That assumes you're using a terminal in the same place as the initrd.xz file.
It dumps the innards into a directory named initrd-tree/ in that location.

To put it back together, run these from inside that initrd-tree/ directory:
mv ../initrd.xz ../initrd.xz.`date +"%Y.%m.%d_%T"` # to save prior version
then
find . | cpio -o -H newc | xz --check=crc32 --x86 --lzma2=dict=512KiB > ../initrd.xz

I'll download your kernel tonight and give it a try. I've been practicing a full system upgrade with slackpkg. Your kernel is the one slackware uses in the "current" distribution. I may have to go from 14.0 to 14.1 before I proceed to the current system (which could take a bit of time - I still have a week before my download meter resets). In the meantime, several more red buttons to push.

thanks,
df

stemsee

#20 Post by stemsee »

Thanks for the code. My new unattended kernel compile script worked and I got three kernels compiled consecutively, the 32bit-pae is running my system now, after reboot into your L64 we'll see if the 64bit kernel and modules came out good! The other kernel is 32bit-nopae, but I forgot to configure no smp! Anyway the script needs a few path adjustments then done. You will be able to compile new kernels with minimal learning curve. I will have to make a gui, to facilitate noobs.