Network settings identify computer as puppypc2066

For discussions about security.
nubc

Network settings identify computer as puppypc2066

#1 Post by nubc »

When I install Windows, I am asked to name this computer. I don't recall such a dialog when I install Puppy/Slacko. I was looking at cable modem settings, and noticed that this computer is identified as 'puppypc2066' (which is my best recollection of the name).

I would prefer a more generic, anonymous name than puppypc2066, one that doesn't identify the make of my OS. Where can I change this name to something different?

I checked Internet Connection Wizard where I see that 'puppypc2066' is the hostname. Can I change that name without negative consequences?

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Look at Quick Setup down right.

gcmartin

Use FirstRUN to properly set/change the system's HOSTNAME

#3 Post by gcmartin »

@WatchDog is correct. Most every PUP on its initial start allow the users to set the "hostname" of their choice for the PUP they are using.

Because of PUPPY's unique structure, the BEST was is to use his recommendation as it sets ALL fields properly so that all of PUP's internal apps are using he same name. Not taking this path can cause problems with system's settings.

This FirstRUN screen (also seen as Quick Setup) is also available via Menu>Setting>... to get a screen like this to set the system hostname fields:

This screen should ALSO be used to change the system's hostname when necessary. This single screen reduces the user effort in setting the system properly to just that one field. I think, the Internet Connection Wizard intends to do the same setting all system fields properly. As I remember, seems @BarryK is responsible for both of these utilities used in today's PUPs, so this is why "I think" the 2 utilities do the same thing properly for all system fields (although, I have never checked to see if the ICW does so).

Hope this is helpful