How to partition my (UEFI) HDD?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
tigersong

#16 Post by tigersong »

If so, he is better off using Ubuntu and the Ubuntu forums.
Yeah, I have Ubuntu installed now. So far askubuntu is proving very helpful. That said, it would be good to know how to partition drives for future reference.

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

For installing Puppy to the hard drive.

You could do a frugal install.

No need to have a separate partition for Puppy.
Frugal installs can go on any partition that has the free space.
A frugal install is just the Puppy files placed on the hard drive.
It would be OK to frugal install to the partition Windows or Ubuntu are on.

The only small problem is getting a boot entry, for Puppy, in the boot loader menu.
That depends on the boot loader you are using, as to what needs to be done.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

Assuming Ubuntu is installed on your PC, should you do run Puppy to install, you have 2 concerns:
  • The Boot Manager; your PUP can be an undoing because Ubuntu uses GRUB2 and Microsoft uses its BM
  • If you are using a recent PUP, you should save your session to the Ubuntu formatted partition AND you should save in a folder exclusive for Puppy; say /mnt/Puppy for example that you would create at Shutdown/reboot.
These are not-so-obvious concerns to support booting and subsequent booting of your PC.

Most Puppy distros do not take this into account, although couple recently has started shining the light to this.

So you must plan which BM you will have your PC use that you understand and the benefit that the Puppy folder provides for your PUP use on your PC.

Hope this info is helpful