netmon_wce - network tray monitor

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
01micko

#76 Post by 01micko »

Thank you William!

Apologies for the lateness of the reply but I had not been monitoring this thread.

I can see what I did is quite wrong, and potentially a severe bug, with assingning char * some_var; as opposed to char some_var[SOME_SIZE];. Of course in the first instance if memory is not allocated with malloc() then bad things can happen. Lesson noted. :)

Yes the ipv6 support did need some work and my 'solution' was only ever meant to be a stop-gap to prevent the app from crashing if ipv6.ko is loaded. Thanks for making sense out of that, and thanks to Fred too.

I'll make new packages and update the first post.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

davids45

Network monthly data read from ?

#77 Post by davids45 »

G'day 01micko et al,

I have a selection of Pups on one computer and just wondered if it is possible for the network tray monitor to read the progressive monthly ups and downs from a common location on the computer so, regardless of which Pup I start up, the tray monitor data will represent the computer's month's usage, not just each Pup's?

Screenshot shows different monthly data for a sequential booting of two Pups today. The monthly data are quite different as you'd expect for the present tray app.

I have in mind sym-linking the cumulative monthly values to+from a mounted-at-boot data partition as an option that could keep track of the computer's usage, regardless of the Pup.

Where are these monthly data stored in each Pup, by the way?

Thanks for any advice,

David S.
Attachments
activeinterfaces.jpg
same computer, same day, different Pups, different Month data
(81.04 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

mikeslr

wifi signal strength tool-tip under netmon_wce

#78 Post by mikeslr »

About half an eternity or so ago I inquired about something which would indicate the strength of the wifi signal being received, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 116#721116. A number of solutions were provided which work well under 32-bit OSes*. But, it was then suggested that 01micko was working on a more comprehensive wifi application, netmon_wce.

AFAIK netmon_wce is now built into all Puppies.

As indicated by peebee's post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 407#855407 --see the screenshot-- the mouse-over tool-tip of initial version(s) of netmon_wce did give notice of the wifi-signal strength. The versions appearing in Xenialpup64 and BionicPup64 do not.

Can wifi signal strength (quality) information be turned on so that the tool-tip will show it? and if so how? Or is that something which has to be provided at the Woof-level?

IMHO, having netmon_wce's tool tip provide a read-out of wifi-strength/quality would be superior to using a separate tool for that purpose.

-------
* The solutions which work under 32-bit OSes works under BionicPup64 and kind-of worked under Xenialpup64 (32-bit compatibility libs may be necessary in both). Under Xenialpup64 a location on the tray (task-bar) is created and mousing over it provides a reading. But the location does not have an icon. It was originally thought that the icons had inadvertently not been included in the application. But neither including those subsequently provided nor editing the desktop file to specify any produced an icon in the launcher; either initially, after restarting-X, restarting the 'panel' or after Saving and rebooting produced a launcher with an icon.