Problems installing Gnome dotpup

Booting, installing, newbie
MU

#16 Post by MU »

Ah sorry, I thought of someone else, we had cleared some confusion about the word guinea-pig that I did not know. I had used the (wrong) german translation "test rabbit" before ;)
Someone told me the right expression then, but I don't remember who.

This Gnome will not run in Grafpup, as it needs a newer Glib (I think).
But you should be able to use it in Grafpup, if you install the Gtk-dotpup, too, this would "upgrade" Grafpup the same way Puppy is upgraded.

This should work, but as I did not test it myself, one should test it carefully with a new pup001 first, as I cannot guarantee it will not break things.

As I mentioned, Gnome is kind of complex, and complex software that overwrites existing files, always bears the risk of breaking working stuff.

I also would not expect too much from this Gnome.
I personally don't use it, as I think, Puppy currently has better solutions.

Instead of the Panel I use Icewm plus the XFCE-taskbar, instead of Nautilus I use XFileExplorer and Thunar.

This Gnome is basically intended to make it possible, to run aditional Gnome-applications on request, if you know one, that has no good equivalent program in Puppy.
My Gnome-Dotpups provide all the libraries (hopefully all), that are needed to run Gnome-applications, that would not run without these libraries.

Mark

MU

#17 Post by MU »

Gnome had an error.
See this message for a complete list of all corrected dotpups:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=62663#62663

Mark

Eyes-Only

#18 Post by Eyes-Only »

Whoa... that's looking a little more than a newbie like me can handle. :-\ That sure looks like an interesting thread though Mark! I think perhaps I'll watch that and see how it comes out between you and revolutionist. :)

Also, thunar and that Gnome bar sure look awesome on Puppy! Sharp! Especially the thunar. I have that in my ZenWalk along with Rox 2.4.1---I have to have my Rox, especially since seeing how versatile it is in Puppy & Grafpup! hehe! ;)

Keep up the fabulous work Mark. As you may know from the other post, I come from the MozillaZine forum and you'd be surprised at how many meet Linux for the first time via Puppy Linux and actually have it installed on the hard drive as compared to the larger distros and are more than satisfied with that. That's how I got interested in it and Grafpup together. :)

Amicalement / mfg

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

MU

#19 Post by MU »

note that you will not gnome for Thunar.

Don't be afraid of the many links...
As this are all dotpups, they are easy to install.
Simply download them and click on them in Rox.

And Thunar is available now since 2 weeks or so, and works for KLHRevolutionist.
He actually just has problems with the Gnome-webbrowser, I think he might not have Puppy 2.02. That is a problem if a program depends on such a "beast" like Seamonkey (mozilla), you need exactlythe same version for programs that depend on it.

Mark