Secure Cloud data has a NEW component for our use.

For discussions about security.
rcrsn51

Re: Secure Cloud data has a NEW component for our use.

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:@Rcrsn51 alluded, earlier this year, that he had made a package which allows a PUP to become a router under YOUR control. But, this was NEVER made public. It is ever becomes Public and is coupled with this solution, it becomes the ultimate for users to directly manage security as they see fit with an ever increasing user knowledge and user controls.
That statement is complete garbage.

1. There is ZERO connection between RouterMaker and this device. It's beyond me how anyone could come to that conclusion.

2. There is nothing magic about RouterMaker. There are other projects around the forum that do the same thing. If gcmartin wants to kick-start some super-duper home server project, he should choose one of those tools. In fact, share-internet would be a superior framework because it has a built-in firewall, which RouterMaker does not.

3. Why would someone promote this device as the "ultimate" solution for Puppy users when it is clearly inferior to setting up a Samba server. That is abundantly obvious from reading its specs.

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

I do agree with many of these points. If all I needed was puppy and the secure cloud, I would have no need for an X-terabyte drive. But I would need ADSL or CATV or WiFi to transfer things around. And thats where the word insecure creeps in, such as Man-in-the-Browser, Man-in-the-Middle, and Third-Party-certs-on-my-behalf (ISP as Man-in-the-Middle) causing a large problem. All those "secure" sites with a black lock are not the same as those with the green bar. Caveat Emptor
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

I wrote:@Rcrsn51 alluded, earlier this year, that he had made a package which allows a PUP to become a router under YOUR control. ...
Since this package was never made public allowing forum membership to collectively participate and evaluate it, I must agree with @Rcrsn51, as he is the his package developer and he doesn't see a method on using this kind of technology on his package.

But, the article infers that their Cloud Service device works as a kind of node on the router. It appears to provide both in-home and internet controls for user management of data in a personal cloud versus the public ones. Every phone user, that I am aware, have their pics/movies uploaded to a public cloud for convenience. There is nothing that would prevent the phone from directing those, for example, to a home Cloud for access in or out of the home. There are other examples of sensible data management via a cloud.

Again, this news brings to light that there ARE solutions bringing awareness of methods to manage our in-home data.

As @Rcrsn51 suggest, there are some Puppy subsystem/systems that can afford similar kinds of services on our home networks which also interfaces with the Internet.

Maybe even his next such project, should there be a follow-on, will be made for public access via a cloud with a thread dedicated to it.

I am sure, my use of the internet is much like everyone of us. It has grown considerably. In fact, I can use applications and manage data as fast via the internet, today, given its speed to my home/phone, as I was able to do things locally on the old PCs of decade or 2 ago.

And with the decade old PCs I still have, much has changed in how things are done, even though the things to be done have not.

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

[quote="gcmartin"
I am sure, my use of the internet is much like everyone of us. It has grown considerably.[/quote]

Masterful statement of the obvious.

Burn_IT

#20 Post by Burn_IT »

"cloud relaxation".

It is called pissing on everybody's party - RAIN
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

solo

#21 Post by solo »

I do not understand the concept of the 'Cloud' in any other term than it being a force-fed solution to a problem the communications and Internet industry have created.

And deliberately created I suspect.

Because please, you can put 128GB worth of data on a freaking micro SD card nowadays. So why not just take one of those little cards everywhere you go?
Oh of course, I forgot, your particular blah blah brand high tech gizmo thing doesn't have a micro SD slot. Or any SD slot for that matter.
Because they feel it shouldn't be part of your user experience.

I mean what is up with that? We have devices with specs up the gazoo, but if we want them to exchange data, we somehow need to store it all in one place, ON THE INTERNET, to make it possible?!

Bullshit.

I don't trust the 'Cloud'.
I don't trust companies who invite me to store data in the 'Cloud'.

Do you take comfort in knowing there's this one place, this one spot, accesible at any time, and from any spot, where all your data is stored?!

Perhaps I should envy that capacity to trust.

tlchost

#22 Post by tlchost »

solo wrote: you can put 128GB worth of data on a freaking micro SD card nowadays. So why not just take one of those little cards everywhere you go?
But, But...you'd have to remember to put the data on the card...and remember to take the card with you...and remember to plug it in...While the "Cloud" relieves you of multiple personal responsibilities.
solo wrote: Bullshit.
Remember Rule #1 of the marketplace:
Bullshit beats Science.

Burn_IT

#23 Post by Burn_IT »

Oh and putting it in the cloud allows the world to access it (or try).
I used distributed data back in the 1970s and we threw it out then as a bad Idea.

But I forgot, you can have a personal cloud at home.
I call mine Network Attached Storage or even Shared Disks.

Yes it is BBB

starhawk

#24 Post by starhawk »

I agree with solo and tlchost in (almost) entirety... I disagree only with solo's second sentence. I don't think it was deliberate shady maneuvering, corporations are too greedy usually to think in advance like that. It's all "what can we do RIGHT NOW to make profits / the stock price / both go up RIGHT NOW".

I trust cloud computing about as far as I can throw it. Which is to say, not at all.

gcmartin

#25 Post by gcmartin »

The discussion is now moving in the right direction;

How does one, anyone, define Security when we talk about the cloud?

Its your data. The cloud provides a vehicle for accessing your data. That access can be in the arms of a trusted offering like Dropbox, etc or it can be in something you make for your use to be accessed from any device anywhere in the world where you may be.

Its up to each of us to determine what we store and where we store it. @Smokey01 has provided "Cloud" services for Puppy members for years. @Allo has also. Ibiblio is a "Cloud" provider.

What is occurring is new devices from Panasonic, ATT, ADT, etc are landing in your home from just about every vendor on the planet. And, they have information useful to you.

So how do you manage this additional information??? You are the ones of how this CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED. Throwing up our arms will not lead to the obvious: Our personal needs for control and management, within reason.

Technology is NOT going to stop and its all about data!

Thoughts for secure solution approaches, from anyone, is welcomed.

bark_bark_bark

#26 Post by bark_bark_bark »

gcmartin wrote:Its your data. The cloud provides a vehicle for accessing your data. That access can be in the arms of a trusted offering like Dropbox, etc or it can be in something you make for your use to be accessed from any device anywhere in the world where you may be.
How could a service, like dropbox, be trusted when they are sending your info to the NSA?
gcmartin wrote:What is occurring is new devices from Panasonic, ATT, ADT, etc are landing in your home from just about every vendor on the planet.
No
gcmartin wrote:And, they have information useful to you.
What is this imaginary "useful information" they are providing?

gcmartin

#27 Post by gcmartin »

bark_bark_bark: You're kidding right???? Or trying to ...

bark_bark_bark

#28 Post by bark_bark_bark »

gcmartin wrote:bark_bark_bark: You're kidding right???? Or trying to ...
Last I checked, nothing in my house was made by Pansonic, ATT, or ADT. And the NSA still collected data from the NSA.

So yes, I'm serious.

gcmartin

#29 Post by gcmartin »

@bark_bark_bark: Maybe this thread is not for you or your interest. Maybe you might start a thread as you find would match your views.

Controlling data that we have or is generated by things we have is an important concern. Use of the internet for data we generate/have is an important concern. Managing it in what we would find as a secure manner is an important concern.

Are you getting any of this?

Or better asked, maybe: "what do you think any community should discuss about their data and how they access it?"

Safely and security: This is what this thread is turning toward: "Greater understanding of options and pathways".

Maybe you should be very clear on your objective. We all know your objection.

Burn_IT

#30 Post by Burn_IT »

I'm not going to discuss with anyone how I do my security!!!

Nothing personal!!

solo

#31 Post by solo »

I do not consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to IT or/and security, and because I am not, my perspective is steered mainly by a good dose of common sense, and quite a large dose of sceptisism.

And so I go from the assumption that any data or information I place on the Internet, or submit through the Internet, can and will be shared by an unknown number of parties.
That doesn't mean my behavior on the Internet is such that it would not yield any value to anyone in the business of monitoring it. It simply means that I treat my expressions online as stuff I expect to be shared.

Then there's the computer I am on which is connected to the Internet.
My pessimistic self believes that if someone with adequate skills would be Hell bent on gaining access to it through the Internet, they would probably succeed eventually. There is data on that computer I would rather not share with anyone else, but this is pretty much because it is so much easier for me to create certain stuff on a workstation while being connected to the Internet. Any other setup would most likely become an exercise in frustration.
So yes, there is that risk that some of my 'stuff' could fall into the 'wrong' hands.

And then there's the standalone. I bought this old clunker 6 months ago, because I wanted a desktop computer in the house that was completely disconnected from any network or the Internet.
It wasn't motivated out of some kind of clear idea or position I had regarding security or privacy or whatever, but really more of a feeling that I wanted to have this little digital place in the house of which I knew it was entirely my own and that while I was there, I would not ever have to worry or consider matters like that at all.
Which is somewhat of a liberating experience in this day and age, and I felt a 'safe' environment like that could be a creative stimulant.

So those are the three levels I move in digitally, and being who I am, I believe I struck the right balance for myself.