Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 08:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Grub4dos : make it easy
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2015, 23:04    Post subject:  Grub4dos : make it easy
Subject description: Ready for use, including RAM as a choice, but not an obligation

see the topic.
Grub4dos is in the menu 'System'. Users will search in this category.
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1.pet: 186 K joined
Grub4Dos.png
 Description   version 1.9.1
 Filesize   79.74 KB
 Viewed   437 Time(s)

Grub4Dos.png

grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1.pet
Description  grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1.pet: 186 K
pet

Download 
Filename  grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1.pet 
Filesize  185.06 KB 
Downloaded  146 Time(s) 

Last edited by Pelo on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 03:06; edited 3 times in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2017, 07:08    Post subject: cutting edge section grub4dosconfig  

cutting edge section grub4dosconfig 25 pages of useful information, and new pets.
Rcrsn51 information about grub4Dos Ubuntu

Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 23:35    Post subject: To boot in RAM  

To boot in RAM when only one pupsave exists, just create another one or change the name of existing pupsave by adding an X before.. It's my way. There are others, many others (add pfix=ram in menu.lst for instance).
Topic 'boot options' here.
pupsave.jpg
 Description   We need none as a choice
 Filesize   69.95 KB
 Viewed   10 Time(s)

pupsave.jpg

Last edited by Pelo on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 21:54; edited 2 times in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 29 May 2017, 10:31    Post subject: Boot pfix=RAM is on Grub4dos Advanced Menu  

Hi Pelo,

After posting many times to suggest menu.lst be edited to provide a "pfix=ram" schema, I just recently stumbled upon this, myself.

When Grub4dos is installed it automatically (unless you tell it not to) creates a menu.lst and a menu-advanced.lst. I never bothered to check what was on the menu-advanced.lst. The last entry on menu.lst is

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
configfile /menu-advanced.lst
commandline

Commandline seemed threatening. Embarassed

But having finally overcome my fear, I selected it and was rewarded with a display of further boot options, the second one titled

title Puppy tahr64 6.0.5.3 (sda4/tahr64) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave

and having as its Kernel line

kernel /tahr64/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=tahr64 pfix=ram

Yours may differ depending upon which Puppy you used to install grub4dos. I had used tahrpup64.

mikesLr
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun 2017, 14:54    Post subject: The best have their 'talon d'Achille'  

Smile The best have their 'talon d'Achille'
grub.jpg
 Description   For newbies,
 Filesize   44.65 KB
 Viewed   246 Time(s)

grub.jpg

nic007

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun 2017, 15:44    Post subject: Re: Boot pfix=RAM is on Grub4dos Advanced Menu  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Pelo,

After posting many times to suggest menu.lst be edited to provide a "pfix=ram" schema, I just recently stumbled upon this, myself.

When Grub4dos is installed it automatically (unless you tell it not to) creates a menu.lst and a menu-advanced.lst. I never bothered to check what was on the menu-advanced.lst. The last entry on menu.lst is

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
configfile /menu-advanced.lst
commandline

Commandline seemed threatening. Embarassed

But having finally overcome my fear, I selected it and was rewarded with a display of further boot options, the second one titled

title Puppy tahr64 6.0.5.3 (sda4/tahr64) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave

and having as its Kernel line

kernel /tahr64/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=tahr64 pfix=ram

Yours may differ depending upon which Puppy you used to install grub4dos. I had used tahrpup64.

mikesLr

Older Grub4Dos created the two entries in the "normal" menu.lst automatically ie. the bootoption that loads the savefile automatically if there is one AND the RAM mode entry.
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 06:27    Post subject: psubdir=LXQT pfix=ram  

I don't understand well what you mean both due to my lacks in English and Linux knowledge
There is this in advanced menu.lst. I consider it should be included in menu.lst, not by hand but by grub4dosconfig

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdd1/LXQT) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
uuid B758-E6AA
kernel /LXQT/vmlinuz psubdir=LXQT pfix=ram
initrd /LXQT/initrd.gz

Creating an empty pupsavefile is an 'astuce' for waiting devs doing the necessary. Twisted Evil just to kick.. Smile
I make a try.. perhaps that wil break everything. I dont know.. feed back soon if my laptop not exploded

Post-scriptum : 'astuce' means 'cunning' regarding Google translation

Last edited by Pelo on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 13:53; edited 2 times in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 06:40    Post subject: perfect.. Ram is offered as a choice at boot.  

perfect.. Ram is offered as a choice at boot. Laptop alive.
Why not only 'advanced menu list'.
perhaps newbies will be disturbed. That is possible. Are there newbies nowadays ? coming from Windows... Perhaps i was the last one.

nic007

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 07:34    Post subject: Re: psubdir=LXQT pfix=ram  

Pelo wrote:
I don't understand well what you mean both to lacks in English and Linux knowledge
There is this in advanced menu.lst. I consider it should be included in menu.lst, not by hand but by grub4dosconfig

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdd1/LXQT) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
uuid B758-E6AA
initrd /LXQT/initrd.gz

Creating an empty pupsavefile is an 'astuce' for waiting devs doing the necessary. Twisted Evil just to kick.. Smile
I make a try.. perhaps that wil break everything. I dont know.. feed back soon is my laptop not exploded

You can have two entries of the same puppy in menu.lst - one with pfix=RAM which will boot in ram mode and the other one without pfix-RAM which will boot the savefile if present. So in your example, you will basically have the same entry added, just without pfix=RAM. You can remove the RAM mode description in the name of the title of the new listing. When you boot, you choose which one to boot. You don't need any advanced menu.lst. Attached an example what I'm talking about.
Example menu.lst.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  Example menu.lst.zip 
Filesize  390 Bytes 
Downloaded  14 Time(s) 
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 08:25    Post subject: do it as the standard menu.lst.  

i fully agree, nic007. Why they did not do it as the standard menu.lst. newbies would not have to script something in english.
Many people here hardly imagine most of users don't even speak english, and we are translators.
Yet that is true, it's easy. For me too. but not for my family, my friends,
Do it ready for use, forget programming..

nic007

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 09:31    Post subject: Re: do it as the standard menu.lst.  

Pelo wrote:
i fully agree, nic007. Why they did not do it as the standard menu.lst. newbies would not have to script something in english.
Many people here hardly imagine most of users don't even speak english, and we are translators.
Yet that is true, it's easy. For me too. but not for my family, my friends,
Do it ready for use, forget programming..

Some of the older grub4dos versions DO create the two entries automatically in the standard menu when grub is installed. I'm not sure what the newer versions do, I haven't used them. Test for you if you have a new version of grub4dos - at install of grub4dos, choose the option (I think there will be one) not to have an additional advanced menu.lst created. Maybe it will then create the two entries automatically in the "standard" menu.lst? Can you check this please and report back. Thanks
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 10:57    Post subject: /menu-advanced.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.1  

ok nic007, I will verify..
menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.1 : Ram option not in menu.lst

Cut and paste it from advanced menu to standard menu.lst. Idea that is what i would like to be done by the author, for our thousands of passengers ignoring English and Linux science ( Exclamation but Puppy Lovers however).

# /menu-advanced.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.1

title Back to the main menu
configfile /menu.lst
commandline

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdb1/LXQT) Safe mode (without X)\nTry 'xorgwizard' after bootup succeed to start graphic mode.
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /LXQT/initrd.gz
kernel /LXQT/vmlinuz psubdir=LXQT pfix=ram,nox nosmp noapic i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0
initrd /LXQT/initrd.gz

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdb1/LXQT) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /LXQT/initrd.gz
initrd /LXQT/initrd.gz

# Multiple Windows

title Previous menu(sdb1/menu-2017-08-04-123652.lst)
uuid B758-E6AA
configfile /menu-2017-08-04-123652.lst
commandline

# Boot from Partition Boot Sector

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdd1/LXQT) RAM modenBoot up Puppy without pupsave (sdb1:PBS)
uuid B758-E6AA
chainloader +1

title Boot from sda (ATA ST9500325AS )
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0)+1

# additionals
title Bootup from HDD\nBootup from the master boot record of the hard disk drive
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0)+1

title Find Grub menu on HDD
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
errorcheck off
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /menu.lst && configfile /menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/menu.lst && configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /grub/menu.lst && configfile /grub/menu.lst
errorcheck on
commandline

title Find Grub2\nBoot up grub2 if installed
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

title Grub4Dos commandline\n(for experts only)
commandline

title Reboot computer
reboot

title Halt computer
halt
ram .jpg
 Description   menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.1
 Filesize   45.86 KB
 Viewed   92 Time(s)

ram .jpg

nic007

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 11:34    Post subject:  

Okay, but you can always use an older grub4dos. Wink Mind you, if I remember correctly, the older grub4dos does not pick up all the puppys installed automatically so you have to add them to the list. So it seems there are indeficiencies in both old and newer versions. Sad I agree with you - better to have everything (all entries and options) in one standard menu.lst, unnecessary to have and extra advanced one.
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 14:00    Post subject: What a wonderful tool,  

We agree. That is the first step..
What a wonderful tool, no need to format, everything keeps alive, Grub4dos needs only to get a nice boot, and some details as described above.

Personally i know how to do
;
A programmer must either gets tests by really newbies, or imagine himself as a newbie.. That is what i try to do, due lack of feed back from our thousands of passengers.

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 14:10    Post subject:  

As a user of Puppy for a long time and someone that tries to help new Puppy users.

I disagree.

The menu-advanced.lst was added to Grub4dos to provide
Advanced boot options.
New users of Puppy do not need to see or use these options, until they get some understanding of how Puppy works.
For them, it will just cause problems they do not understand.

The menu.lst is the normal boot entries.
Those are all you usually need to use.

A lot of work was done to Grub4dos boot loader to improve how it works in detecting what is on the computer and making a correct menu entry.
If you are not using the latest version you should.
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

I am sure you understand the edit menu feature at the end of running Grub4dos Config.
That is for people that understand the menu and how it is used. People that like to do things the way they want them.
I always edit out the Windows stuff.

Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Jump to: