Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 12:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Windows 8, 8.1 and 10: How to Boot Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2016, 23:10    Post subject: Puppy Linux Window Installer version 5 released  

Hi All,

This is just to bring to your attention that noryb009 has released verion 5 of his Puppy Linux Windows Installer. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=890502#890502

If this is your first attempt to boot Puppy from any computer, including one using UEFI, I would recommend that you try this first for two reasons: (1) it may work out of the box; and (2) if it doesn't, your reporting of the problems you encounter on his thread may help noryb009 to overcome such problems.

mikesLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 10:44    Post subject: UEFI Menu Entry & 32-Bit Pups  

Hi All,

Stumbled upon icake's post while looking for something else. Although icake was concerned with booting Puppies from an iMac --which employs EFI rather than UEFI-- and from a USB-Key rather than a Hard-drive, his procedure may have wider applications,

I thought, in particular, his handling of Grub's boot "menu" was particularly useful in avoiding a lot of guess work. Having unpacked UnicornPup* into a folder he named "live01" he edited grub.cfg to:

"... add these 6 lines (the last line is a blank line) at the bottom of the file:

menuentry "Puppy linux live unicorn 6.0"{
search --set -f /live01/vmlinuz
linux /live01/vmlinuz boot=live
initrd /live01/initrd.gz

"

Do read icake's entire post for context and a complete explanation: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=879421#879421

After having developed his booting technique, icake took the time to explore which Pups could be booted using it. He has, further, provided a lists of both 32-bit and 64-bit Pups which could and couldn't be booted successfully. See his post for the list. Thank you, icake.

mikesLr

* Note UnicornPup is (a) 32-bit, and AFAIK 666philb did not employ any technique in order to build it as "UEFI-bootable".
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2016, 22:02    Post subject: computers sold nowadays with windows 10  

My computer is 2012 equipped Windows 7, so i would not be concerned by this topic.
but i want to underline that computers sold nowadays with windows 10 can run only Windows 10 , no window 8 or 7 or previous, and nor Linux
Because Microsoft has obliged computer makers to fit the hardware to what they need, if Not, Windows 10 will not be the default OS installed.
These computers will be only Windows 10,
On french forum, some users have abandoned their tries to install Puppy french desesperate puppy lover click the blues
boot is not enough, firmware modules don't exist (yet). Sad

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar 2016, 20:22    Post subject: I'm not sure Pelo's conclusion is entirely correct.  

Hi All,

In the above post, Pelo suggests "windows 10 can run only Windows 10 , no window 8 or 7 or previous, and nor Linux...boot is not enough, firmware modules don't exist (yet). Crying or Very sad "

Firstly, please note that neither Pelo nor I have computers which either require or even enable booting via UEFI. So while we both endeavor to help those who do, neither of us is in a position to report our actual observations. We can only report what others have said.

After reading Pelo's post, I clicked the link he suggested and used slimjet's builtin translation addon which leaves a lot to be desired.. After a couple minutes, I found my head spinning rather than clearly following the discussion. But the sense I got following links from his link was:

a) The initial failures date back to 2014. Linux in general, and Puppy in particular, has come a long way since then.
b) Despite UEFI, at least one person posted that he was able to use Linux Mint. If Linux Mint has required firmware, I doubt Ubuntu lacks it. And if Ubuntu has it, so must, at least, Tahrpup and its variants.

Those of us who try to guide new-comers only have access to a few of the scores of computer models out there. I note that as of this posting over 7500 people have read this thread. It would be nice if any of them having a Windows 10 computer would post back, telling us what worked and what didn't.

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr
recobayu

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar 2016, 20:42    Post subject:  

Hi All, just sharing.
I have windows10, ubuntu 16.04, linux mint 17.3, and so many puppy linux installed in my laptop (acer with ram 2gb).

I use YUMI to install puppy linux in my flashdisk.
After that, grub4dos can detect all my OS very well.

Oh ya, I turn off fast boot option in windows so I can save any file in ntfs partition safely.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar 2016, 22:18    Post subject: Reporting what works, what doesn't  

Thanks recobayu for the post.

It has occurred to me that it might be best to have a specific thread where users could report their experience of what worked, and what didn't.

So, I've opened one here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=896093#896093

Edit May 15: Checked the above thread to see what was being discussed. Several techniques not mentioned on this thread were reported. Especially interesting was a method for setting up a USB-Key so that it could be booted from either a Bios or UEFI computer. Very Happy Suggest it's worth a read.

Edit: the next day. Idea Rolling Eyes It also, finally, occurred to me that a link to Yumi might save newbies some time.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 19 May 2016, 09:39; edited 3 times in total
James C

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2016, 01:25    Post subject:  

recobayu wrote:
Hi All, just sharing.
I have windows10, ubuntu 16.04, linux mint 17.3, and so many puppy linux installed in my laptop (acer with ram 2gb).

I use YUMI to install puppy linux in my flashdisk.
After that, grub4dos can detect all my OS very well.

Oh ya, I turn off fast boot option in windows so I can save any file in ntfs partition safely.

For what it's worth, my friend bought a new Windows 10 laptop a few weeks ago and immediately dual booted with Lubuntu before wiping Windows for only Lubuntu. No problems.
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 04:45    Post subject:  

I have never heard of a windows 10 only capable machine. I had windows 10 and frugal installs of puppy on the same machine. Deleted windows 10 and installed windows xp pro. Now have windows xp pro and puppy frugal installs on the same machine. A tip when running multi-systems (windows plus) - Do not install grub4dos to the MBR. I have had numerous occasions where this has messed up my MBR at some time. Rather copy grub and the menu.lst files to the windows partition and add a grub entry to windows boot initiation file (in the case of windows xp it's boot.ini). This is a very safe method.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 06:36    Post subject:  

Before I totally ejected Windows from my life (around 5 weeks ago, when I finally got Skype workoing in Tahrpup, thanks to watchdog,) I always had XP Pro on sda1, and simply installed the Grub4DOS files to that partition. As Nic suggests, it's pretty foolproof.

Mike. Wink

nic007

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 07:38    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Before I totally ejected Windows from my life (around 5 weeks ago, when I finally got Skype workoing in Tahrpup, thanks to watchdog,) I always had XP Pro on sda1, and simply installed the Grub4DOS files to that partition. As Nic suggests, it's pretty foolproof.

Mike. Wink

Copy to the windows drive is a better description. Installing it via the grub4dos utility in the menu is what we want to avoid as this inevitably affects the MBR which I want to avoid with my approach. So, what basically happens is that the MBR with its bootrecord for windows stays untouched and I only add an entry for grub in the boot.ini. The bootup screen for windows then shows two entries, one for windows and one for grub (which you can name as something like puppy linux). You then choose which operating system to boot. I thought I wanted to make this clear.
Argolance

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 12:29    Post subject:  

Bonjour,
Quote:
I only add an entry for grub in the boot.ini.

Well, well! But could you please give us an example of the way you modified this boot.in file?
Please, the best would be a very short explanation/history of what you did exactly to make things work...
Thank you a lot!

Cordialement.

nic007

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 16:25    Post subject:  

Argolance wrote:
Bonjour,
Quote:

Well, well! But could you please give us an example of the way you modified this boot.in file?
Please, the best would be a very short explanation/history of what you did exactly to make things work...
Thank you a lot!

Cordialement.

Let's assume windows xp is installed to the first partition of the drive. So you will add the following line after the last line in boot.ini: c:\grldr="Puppy Linux" Then manually copy grldr and your menu.lst to c:\
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 16:34    Post subject:  

I like this solution by scientist best:

scientist wrote:
Once Win 10 was removed, installation went fine.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=910190#910190
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 16:40    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
I like this solution by scientist best:

scientist wrote:
Once Win 10 was removed, installation went fine.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=910190#910190

Some of us need Windows.
nic007

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2016, 01:47    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Argolance wrote:
Bonjour,
Quote:

Thank you a lot!

Cordialement.

Let's assume windows xp is installed to the first partition of the drive. So you will add the following line after the last line in boot.ini: c:\grldr="Puppy Linux" Then manually copy grldr and your menu.lst to c:\

There is of course another way where you don't even have to edit boot.ini. Copy grldr and menu.lst to the drive where windows is installed > rename ntldr to ntldr1 > rename grldr to ntldr > in the windows section of menu.lst change all instances of ntldr to ntldr1. This is the most secure method as the original MBR and the boot.ini files are kept untouched. The added bonus is that you will only have to choose from the grub menu which OS to boot.
Page 3 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: