Windows 8, 8.1 and 10: How to Boot Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
Fanofscifi

#61 Post by Fanofscifi »

Thanks to the both of you but I think I'll follow what cthisbear said and boot with my usb stick. After all Puppy copies to ram and it's super fast and it doesn't change anything to the hard drive.

Thanks again great Puppy community

J_D_

#62 Post by J_D_ »

Thanks to Bigpup for telling me about Lick. Sooo easy. I did use Windows storage manager to shrink the Windows 10 partition and create 2 extra 50 gig partitions, Then I downloaded Lick and the puppy ISO and saved as documents. After that I opened Lick and installed the ISO to it. Whole thing took about 1 minute. Done. Later I went back to Lick in Windows and added a different puppy and deleted the first. No drama and all done very fast. Way faster than my old stand by LILI witch works very well.

Aparich

Right!

#63 Post by Aparich »

Fanofscifi wrote:Thanks to the both of you but I think I'll follow what cthisbear said and boot with my usb stick. After all Puppy copies to ram and it's super fast and it doesn't change anything to the hard drive.

Thanks again great Puppy community
Yes, as cthisbear said booting with usb stick did the it for me. And I guess I should work for you too.

tino06

Do you still need to deactivate secure boot on new puppylinu

#64 Post by tino06 »

Hi all,

Do you still need to deactivate secure boot on new puppylinux versions?

Thanks in advance
Best regards(sorry for my bad english i am french)

mikeslr

#65 Post by mikeslr »

Hello tino06,

First, Welcome to the kennels. :D
Second, NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR NOT BEING A NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER. :x It makes those of us who can only speak English feel that much more incompetent. :lol:

It is always best to try out any version of Puppy by first doing a frugal install to a USB-Key. There are several good programs you install into Windows that will deploy the version of Puppy you choose to a USB-Key. Among them are our home-grown Lick, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 720#462720, rufus, https://rufus.ie/ and --if I'm not mistaken-- the latest version of Linux Live USB-Creator, https://www.linuxliveusb.com/. If your choice of Puppy can not run on your computer from a USB-Stick, you may want to reconsider installing it to your hard-drive. :roll:

Once it is running from a USB-Stick, I suggest that you start reading toward the end of the "FrugalPup 20 - Puppy frugal installer" thread, currently here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 66#1052566. Gyro, with the help of bigpup and other Puppy fans, have been working for more than a year on creating an installer which would not require secure boot to be deactivated. But, whether --as of now-- it enables that condition on your computer probably will remain a question until you try it. Please share your findings.

Mike Walsh

Re: Do you still need to deactivate secure boot on new puppylinu

#66 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, tino06. And Image to the 'kennels'.
tino06 wrote:Hi all,

Do you still need to deactivate secure boot on new puppylinux versions?

Thanks in advance
Best regards(sorry for my bad english i am french)
Um....essentially, yes. Despite Mikeslr's explanation above about the new installer that gyro's been working on for a while now, current Puppies still need to have the FastBoot/SecureBoot combination disabled to be able to boot in 'Legacy' mode.

The included 'efi' module allows Puppy to work with the newer, UEFI-only motherboards.

Mike. :wink:

tino06

#67 Post by tino06 »

Hello my friends Mike Walsh and mikeslr,
Bigs Thanks for your quikly answer.

you know if there is a website that explains how to remove the secure boot for each model that computer manufacturers have made. A very complete site which explains the procedure for all models of each brand (asus, acer, lenovo etc ...)?

rcrsn51

#68 Post by rcrsn51 »

you know if there is a website that explains how to remove the secure boot for each model that computer manufacturers have made. A very complete site which explains the procedure for all models of each brand (asus, acer, lenovo etc ...)?
https://www.isunshare.com/windows-passw ... ml#method2

DuMar

X not starting

#69 Post by DuMar »

Good afternoon to you all,

Today I got my brand new Asus VivoBook with AMD ryzen3 256 + 1TB.

I'm pleased with it but also worried if it will run with Puppy Linux or not.
I decided to start using Lick, I tried it on the old (BIOS) laptop from my wife and it works out of te box.

I used the same usb stick with the same bionic iso on my new laptop.

So, I installed Lick and Bionic64 8.0 uefi. I got the blue screen at the first startup and I made the correct steps. For a moment I thought I had succes because it looked like the pup was starting up as normal. But almost at the end I got this message:

login[5521]: root login on 'tty1'
'/etc/X11/xorg.conf.udev' -> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Xorg Wizard automatic has just run.
If you are reading this, then you are at the console without X running.
The usual thing now is to type 'xwin' to start X...

Typing xwin + enter gives not a single response.

At the Lick topic they say it's not lick related.

Can somebody help me with this? Thank you.