MintPup (Trusty LTS)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#136 Post by saintless »

Hi William.

We have already two pages about mk-jwm menu and anyone reading this thread will start thinking we have some major bug in the menu system which is not true.

Please, consult again with Terry what you need because I have the feeling we are wasting his time (since the correct .bac file is not available).

I already wrote I like the menu system as it is. It is tested over a year and works well. I have many things to test and fix for DD and MintPup updates but menu improvement is not my idea or priority.

Edit: if you think mk-jwm.main_homelocalfirst is ready for testing I will update the repository with new deb package.

Toni

fredx181

#137 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:I'll check that out further. I take it that the file /usr/bin/openbox-menu is in MintPup. I'm currently in DDopenbox_wheezy and don't see it there.
Yes, it's with openbox setup for mintpup, DD-openbox doesn't use /usr/bin/openbox-menu, there the menu is provided by xfce4-panel menu plugin.

Good luck with the Jwm menu improvement, btw, I think it's good as it is now, except that it will be updated just only when a package has been installed (or by running 'update-menus') and few small other issues maybe.

Fred

mcewanw

#138 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi William.

We have already two pages about mk-jwm menu and anyone reading this thread will start thinking we have some major bug in the menu system which is not true.

Please, consult again with Terry what you need because I have the feeling we are wasting his time (since the correct .bac file is not available).

I already wrote I like the menu system as it is. It is tested over a year and works well. I have many things to test and fix for DD and MintPup updates but menu improvement is not my idea or priority.

Edit: if you think mk-jwm.main_homelocalfirst is ready for testing I will update the repository with new deb package.

Toni
Hi Toni,

Yes, that's fine. I won't be working on this further anyway - it is as you say not a major problem anyway. The source and binaries I uploaded also do work fine for me, though if you decide to use the binary you should strip them to smaller size with strip -s.

Terry, the source code I modified (the only one I have or could find) is that inside here:

http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/sourc ... k-menu.zip

and my working modifications to that are here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 254#861254

Sorry, it was nightime here so just read your posts now and I have a sick three year old so having to head out to doctor.

William

EDIT: I feel that development work done in a team does tend to need many posts per item being developed. These threads are probably not the best for that but no-one is using a dedicated development thread for DD/MintPup anymore. So if there is no development thread or if further development contributions are not wanted then best just to leave these matters to Fred and yourself. I am happy with DD and MintPup as they are and can change my own system anyway - I was mainly just concerned about having access to up-to-date source code where that is applicable.
github mcewanw

saintless

#139 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:EDIT: I feel that development work done in a team does tend to need many posts per item being developed. These threads are probably not the best for that but no-one is using a dedicated development thread for DD/MintPup anymore. So if there is no development thread or if further development contributions are not wanted then best just to leave these matters to Fred and yourself.
Hi William.

We can always use this thread for development:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=4230
We discuss here and in DD threads mostly bugs fixing and not working in some situations programs (but we can do this in the thread above in the future). Then the solution goes in fixes post or we agree there is no problem for fixing.

We all see different problems in mk-jwm menu (but we all agree it works OK as it is).
For me it is the missing localization support.
For Fred it is the need to run update-menus before refreshing the menu.
For you it is the reading of "Terminal=true" line and $HOME/ path.

Mk-jwm menu should have separate thread in my opinion because it works in standard Debian system after changing sh to bash. And it is better to work fixing all problems at the same time.
For example Mitra's MJWM menu deb package in dd-repo also works in standard Debian with Jwm even with dash and his script has github development page.

I hope the child will be OK soon. I have a boy and a girl (almost 4 and 6 years old).

Toni

fredx181

#140 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

I've found a fix for scripts that require UTF-8 encoding:
Put on top of the script:

Code: Select all

LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_CTYPE
And it will display e.g. russian or arabic characters, from what I tested, for example by yad,

Don't know if it helps for localization support of Jwm menu, but I thought you'd like to know anyway.
Maybe you remember the issue we had with youtube-get, not displaying russian characters, (only when locales installed or running from uxterm)
I will update some scripts e.g. youtube-get, youtube-get2, dogradio with that fix included.
It needs of course the uxterm UTF-8 fix /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz (and /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive), which isn't installed on current openbox versions, but it will in next iso release.

Fred

saintless

#141 Post by saintless »

Thanks Fred, but by localization support I mean translation support for all menu categories. I think it is different problem and all DD special scripts (yad or not) have the same problem.
In gtkdialog localization is added by gettext for label tag. Check /opt/bin/mount-wizard and you will see what I mean.

Toni

saintless

#142 Post by saintless »

Hi William.

Sources archive updated with your .bac files:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-code/mk-menu.zip

Available deb package for testing modded mk-jwm.main file:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 2_i386.deb
I didn't strip the binary. It is much smaller anyway than the one in DD and MintPup. Testing will show if some fix was included later in the missing source .bac file.

Toni

mcewanw

#143 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks Toni.
github mcewanw

saintless

#144 Post by saintless »

Just found mk-jwm bash version from Terry before converting to Bacon:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 499#762499
And one alternative menu from Puppy (suggestion from Fred):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 793#762793
Both added in:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-code/mk-menu.zip
Maybe will be useful for someone later.

Toni

fredx181

#145 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni and everyone,

Here's a setup for JWM-openbox-menu for testing,

I know I wrote recently that the JWM menu is good as it is, but didn't realize it's lacking localization support, so did some searching for combining 'openbox-menu' with JWM and found this thread from puppyrus:
http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php/topic,14731.0.html
(specially page 5 with example for automatic updating the menu)
Compiled 'openbox-menu' from source here:
https://bitbucket.org/geekless/openbox-menu/

As I had done some practicing with 'openbox-menu' as pipemenu for "mintpup-openbox setup" next step was to implement it to JWM, with the "-f jwm' option which creates compatible menu for JWM.
I think it turned out really well.

The attached package has no dependency 'openbox' itself, it works without it, so it's very small.

What works:
- Localization, the (translated) category names are read from *.directory files in /usr/share/desktop-directories/ , e.g. "dog-graphics.directory".
- Automatic updating the menu, doesn't depend on running 'update-menus', reads directly from change in /usr/share/applications, it's done by 'menu-cached'.
- $HOME/.local/share/applications path supported (also I think /usr/local/share/applications, didn't test yet)
- All icons show.
- Can be combined with other entries in .jwmrc, e.g the original 'head' entries and shutdown, reboot items are untouched.
(template files are in /etc/xdg/templates, copied to $HOME/.jwmrc, when starting menu-openbox)

What does not work:
- Some .desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications have no line "Type=Application", these initially didn't show up in the menu, but I worked around it by searching for these, copying them to $HOME/.local/share/applications and add it (echo "Type=Application" >> ....) (done in script /opt/bin/menu-openbox)
- Fixed similar as above for those .desktop files that have both 'Terminal=true' and 'xterm -e'
These are rather ugly workarounds, and should be fixed a better way IMO.

Tested on mintpup and DD jessie, not on wheezy yet.

Attached; jwm-obmenu_0.0.1_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar)

Edit: How to activate jwm-obmenu after install: JWM menu > System > Menu Openbox

Edit: Removed the attachment, see here for fixed version:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 605#861605

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#146 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Toni and everyone,

Here's a setup for JWM-openbox-menu for testing,
Thanks Fred, sounds good,

Something using menu-cached seems like it would do the job, so hopefully this is what we are looking for without having to update existing work by Terry or having to otherwise re-invent the wheel.

William

EDIT:I presume it is okay to now apt-get purge mkjwmmenu? I did that, but only thing is I don't know how to tweak jwm to my personal tastes thereafter: for example, I want to change the number of desktops, and I don't see how the wallpaper can be set to each one now? Looking good otherwise though.
EDIT2: I manually edited ~/.jwmrc for 2 desktops. I'm pretty sure that is wrong thing to do but not sure which file I should edit for persistent manual jwm config changes as yet. Then restarted JWM -> Shutdown -> Restart WM and now the desktops are just 2, and the wallpapers are working (Terry's wallpaper changer). I presume those desktop files which have xterm -e in them were edited to have that by Toni or yourself - I think that should be removed and rely on Terminal=true since that seems to work with this system fine. I presume the likes of htop came with Terminal=true in its desktop file? But why didn't you use this method before if already using much the same in MintPup_openbox?! :-) Certainly looks promising.
EDIT3: Having now looked at /opt/bin/menu-openbox, I guess for manually editing my JWM menu I should modify one of /etc/xdg/templates/.jwmrc (for root user case) or /etc/xdg/templates/.jwmrc_user (for puppy or other normal user)? Didn't quite work for me (I had to manually copy the file to $HOME and reboot in the end but I'm sure that's not necessary). I could do with a step by step explanation of how menu-openbox etc gets called from boot-time or after any app installation or change to desktop files - in another thread maybe? I noted a day or two ago, by the way, that at least the latest JWM (ver 2.3?) now includes a Root Menu, 'Dynamic' tag to "Include the contents of a file or the output of a program as a submenu". I'm not sure if that is the same as a pipe menu facility (turns out ver 2.2 has it too, but tag has different name 'Include'):

http://www.joewing.net/projects/jwm/config.shtml#root

http://www.joewing.net/projects/jwm/con ... shtml#root

I suspect Terry's mkjwmmenu is still useful for using lowest resources?
github mcewanw

fredx181

#147 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:I presume it is okay to now apt-get purge mkjwmmenu? I did that, but only thing is I don't know how to tweak jwm to my personal tastes thereafter: for example, I want to change the number of desktops, and I don't see how the wallpaper can be set to each one now? Looking good otherwise though.
Yes, I forgot some Jwm specific things, as I was mostly focused to get the xdg menu right.
Also "Change Jwm theme" doesn't work as it should be (just brings back Menu-Puppy)
So... It's more complicated than I thought, I guess the setup needs to be similar as the other menu setups with jwm.head main, tail etc..

Btw, how do you normally set the number of desktops? I can't find how

I could do with a step by step explanation of how menu-openbox etc gets called from boot-time or after any app installation or change to desktop files - in another thread maybe?
I will write when I have more time.

Fred

saintless

#148 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred, William.

Thanks Fred, looks nice and I'm sure it took much work to make this setup for jwm.
But why is this interest for improved or new Jwm menu? All my posts in the last few pages are against improving/changing the well tested menu system for Jwm. And in favour of default Debian update-menus method which doesn't even need desktop files and has full localization support and is still official menu method in Debian and Ubuntu stable and unstable versions.
I wrote the main problem for me in mk-jwm menu is missing localization support but changing the menu system will not add localization support in Terry's menu.

The options we have in my opinion:

Option 1:
Remove Terry's mk-jwm (tested over a year) and Mitra's mjwm menu and use menu-openbox instead.
Find a way to make jwm theme changing work with menu-openbox or just remove jwm theme changing.
Fix the content in around 40 desktop files to be suitable with menu-openbox.
In the future if we have questions how to setup the menu start asking what is the DD-Jwm version because we have different menu system in Jessie (maybe it is possible to fix menu-openbox for Wheezy but I doubt it will be easy to do the same for Squeeze).
Start testing menu-openbox properly for potential problems.

Option 2;
Add menu-openbox as menu number 4 in DD-Jessie-Jwm and MintPup + fix all from option 1.

Option 3: Don't add menu-openbox and keep it for download and testing as deb package (maybe improved in the future from Fred if he likes to work on this in the future). I can add the desktop files that need changing in next iso updates but it is better to attach working files for menu-openbox so I can test them with mk-jwm and mjwm menu for problems.

Option 4:
Install Jwm and menu-openbox as second WM in DebianDog-OpenBox-Jessie and we can update only one iso with more time for testing.
Install OpenBox as third WM in MintPup (and maybe remove Icewm) and we can support only one iso in the future with more time for testing.
The problem is Fred will have to answer and fix all menu problems because I don't know the open box menu setup and can't help much with it.
Make the next iso update final for DD-Wheezy and Squeeze.

I don't like options 1 and 2. Many potental problems could appear from changing the menu setup or adding new menu method and I really like to keep the same menu system in DD-Jwm Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie and MintPup. It is not possible with menu-openbox.

Options 3 and 4 are fine for me.

Edit:
fredx181 wrote:Btw, how do you normally set the number of desktops? I can't find how
By changing $HOME/.jwm/jwm.tail and refreshing the menus. In case changing the theme from /opt/docs/jwm-themes repeat the same change or add it in all files inside /opt/docs/jwm-themes

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

sunburnt

#149 Post by sunburnt »

The mk-jwm.main.bac file in the zip at http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-code/mk-menu.zip looks proper.

CHANGEDIR throws a run time error if the dir. does not exist.
It looks like "/mk-jwm.main" should have been "./mk-jwm.main".

saintless

#150 Post by saintless »

Thanks Terry.
We have testing deb package already adding 'xterm -e" in the menu and reading the files in $HOME/.local/share/applications
The problem is the new compiled binary from the source .bac file is much smaller from the one we use the last year inside the system. If we strip the new compiled binary it will become even smaller. There should be some changes but it is impossible to know what exactly.

Anyway your menu works stable and well as it is and I don't plan to change it.

Toni

mcewanw

#151 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Btw, how do you normally set the number of desktops? I can't find how to

Hi Fred, Toni,

Started a new thread for WM menu discussions and posted my reply to above on it here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 564#861564

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#152 Post by fredx181 »

Btw, how do you normally set the number of desktops? I can't find how

By changing $HOME/.jwm/jwm.tail and refreshing the menus. In case changing the theme from /opt/docs/jwm-themes repeat the same change or add it in all files inside /opt/docs/jwm-themes
Ah, I see, I just looked for a menu entry to set it.

Fred

mikeslr

Congrats

#153 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Toni, Wanderer and all who have participated in creating MintPup. Congratulations.

USB-Key install running well on a Dell Latitude E6400. Answering the question recently posed on the "Wm Menu systems" thread: "Why Now?" Chalk it up to serendipity.

"I'm really getting too old for this" -- learning new stuff, that is. The debian-dogs and MintPup are different than Pup: similar but different. And scanning the relevant threads now and then left me with the impression that either a USB-Key or an entire hard-drive partition would be needed to install. Please correct the last assumption if I'm in error. [I appreciate that once installed, other Pups can easily be added, especially as Grub4dos can be used as bootloader]. Unused hard-drive partitions are hard to come by. And while USB-Keys are cheap, mine usually get used as soon as I acquire them.

But recently I was using one in an unsuccessful effort to explore UEFI booting without an UEFI computer. Now having an unused USB-Key I asked myself "What can I do with this?" And there it was, MintPup at the top of the Projects Subforum. Serendipity.

I've always liked Linux Mint. So I guess I'm going to have to read thru the "How To" thread and learn some new things. :x :wink: Well, thanks anyway. :)

mikesLr

P.S. It's early days yet, but perhaps not too early to begin thinking about how MintPup and the Debian-dogs are going to be able to run from Windows 10 UEFI computers which will not allow their owners to turn off "Secure boot."

saintless

Re: Congrats

#154 Post by saintless »

mikeslr wrote:And scanning the relevant threads now and then left me with the impression that either a USB-Key or an entire hard-drive partition would be needed to install. Please correct the last assumption if I'm in error.
Only full install needs entire partition.
Frugal install will copy DD/MintPup without erasing other linux on the same partition. You can also copy /live (or /casper) directory from the iso and add menu entries manually in your boot loader reading the boot code examples in DD and MintPup thread.
P.S. It's early days yet, but perhaps not too early to begin thinking about how MintPup and the Debian-dogs are going to be able to run from Windows 10 UEFI computers which will not allow their owners to turn off "Secure boot."
I don't have hardware for testing boot on UEFI computer. Maybe someone will post instruction how to do it in time.
I've always liked Linux Mint. So I guess I'm going to have to read thru the "How To" thread and learn some new things. :x :wink: Well, thanks anyway. :)
I'm afraid you will not find anything from Linux Mint look in MintPup. But you can install what you need from Mint Rebecca and Ubuntu repository.

Toni

fredx181

#155 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

For those having the same issue as I have with firefox, address bar distorted view (see attached screenhot)), this will probably solve it:

Go to Extra >Add-ons , search for 'fxchrome'. install Addon: FXChrome, and activate it, then after restarting firefox, the addressbar will display as it should be.

Fred
Attachments
2015-08-27-193618_498x49_scrot.png
Firefox distorted address bar view
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 1505 times