MintPup (Trusty LTS)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mcewanw

#271 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni and Fred,

I think it would be a good idea to resurrect a thread (only one would do) for DD/MintPup/Ubuntu development work where we are free to make any comments or post we like regarding development work we have spent time doing. There should be no place for accusations, one way or the other - we all, to some extent, have different interests, views, and motivations and no one has a right to demotivate anyone else.

There may well at times be pages of development efforts, and often with errors or faulty statements in them - if they were immediately perfect, that would be great, but development is all about knowledge seeking and improvement - which requires publishing work with the open idea that others can contribute and discover and repair errors.

To keep users and other developers notified of development posts in that separate thread it would be enough to simply make a simple post in the relevant users' thread stating what the development post is about and a link to it.

Of course, if development contributions are no longer required or considered irrelevant or annoying in any way, I am happy to leave these threads to yourselves since I am only now an occasional contributor anyway. To a large extent everything is running quite smoothly now so good just to enjoy the close to polished products.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#272 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:It's about gathering knowledge and fair comparison of RAM usage .
Posting screenshot here from mint-htop in Xenial is not fair. You should also post the result from mint-free and mint-top commands in Xenial. And the result from same Xenial commands in Mint. And you should try to find information how is /proc/meminfo generated in Xenial and Mint.
If you do that you should ask yourself what could be the possible reason free and top commands in Xenial to have systemd as dependency. I can't imagine why systemd has to be installed in order to use free and top commands, can you?
If you think htop from Xenial is screwed up (I don't think so) then fair is to create bug report to the developers. Maybe they have the answer to your question. But instead you are writing your own script for fair comparison.
So the question is fair to whom, Fred? Do you think it is fair to Linux Mint what google search gives for this:

Code: Select all

linux mint htop patched
fredx181 wrote:But, Toni, I can imagine you got a bitter taste of competition (reading the last few pages here) from some of Pelo's comments.
Please, don't put the blame on Pelo. He was not the one who posted here screenshot from mint-htop running in XenialDog.
I don't know what this screenshot has to do with MintPup but it ended up with MintPup - XenialDog RAM usage comparison in this thread. Something I wouldn't even think to do since they are based on different ubuntu versions (Trusty and Xenial), different init (upstart and systemd), different kernel, different WM, different start up scripts and applications.
In old computers up to 256RAM you don't need htop to tell you how much RAM is in use. You can feel it by how responsive the system is in each moment. Who cares what htop shows if you can't feel the system slower having 4Gb RAM or more? And who cares if htop says 50Mb RAM usage in your screenshot if I can't boot your distro on my old 256Mb ram machine?

Toni

saintless

#273 Post by saintless »

Hi William.
mcewanw wrote:I think it would be a good idea to resurrect a thread (only one would do) for DD/MintPup/Ubuntu development work where we are free to make any comments or post we like regarding development work we have spent time doing.
There is such thread we used for all DebianDog versions development. No problem in my opinion to mix it with MintPup, XenialDog:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=4230
My last answer is a year ago but this is only because I see no questions or new posts there. If you start posting something there the answers will come there too I guess.
Also github issues pages are good place.

Toni

fredx181

#274 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Please, don't put the blame on Pelo. He was not the one who posted here screenshot from mint-htop running in XenialDog.
Blame!? am I to blame turning things in a competition?
A competition in my eyes is when two or more opponents are trying to win.
So.. Am I trying to win something? No.

I think you are misunderstanding or maybe I misunderstood when you used the word "competition".

Posting the screenshot was just a beginning of a search for fair comparison of RAM usage between distros.
Quite naive, yes, you are right about all the other factors required for a fair comparison.

Started with report from backi in Xenialdog thread which worried me about how to trust htop on Xenialdog:
Htop shows 362 megs of ram usage in Htop
( really.... 362 in Htop )
Which I find strange (BTW, I never said that htop in Xenial is screwed)
For me htop output is much less than that in xenialdog, but there's a big difference between free and htop.
Still don't know what's right, free shows too little IMO. (61MB)

As I said, I regret that this discussion took place in this thread, so OK for me to continue in the Light-Wheezy thread.
But I have no interest if you still think I'm looking for some competition.

Edit: Also I'd like to mention (in case misunderstanding) that I don't think the htop from Mintpup has a more favorable output (I didn't write about patched or something, BTW).
I just think it's realistic (and very similar to free, lxtask, conky).

EDIT:
If you think htop from Xenial is screwed up (I don't think so) then fair is to create bug report to the developers. Maybe they have the answer to your question. But instead you are writing your own script for fair comparison.
My purpose of these scripts are; they are exactly doing/simulating what is the (different) 'free' output on Xenialdog and Debiandog for investigating and to share. (and I just wrote my thoughts about it)
And, as I said earlier in PM, I don't like your aggressive tone in this, Toni, it's misplaced, I get the feeling from it we are having some battle here, which should not be like that.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 17 May 2016, 21:57, edited 7 times in total.

mcewanw

#275 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi William.
There is such thread we used for all DebianDog versions development. No problem in my opinion to mix it with MintPup, XenialDog:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=4230
My last answer is a year ago but this is only because I see no questions or new posts there. If you start posting something there the answers will come there too I guess.
Also github issues pages are good place.

Toni
Hi Toni,

Unfortunately, though I first suggested using github, I haven't myself been keeping up with that at all, though I shall try to get back up to speed on that again. In the meantime, should I wish to post anything DebianDog/Mintpup/Ubuntu related to development I will use that old thread you mention.

I honestly think you are on the wrong track thinking Fred (or I) have posted anything with some competition in mind. There is a noted issue in the new XenialDog in terms of htop reporting unexpectedly high RAM usage, and that of course could put people off trying it, which I therefore felt was worth trying to get to the bottom of.

I consider all these distributions created by Fred and yourself from the same 'house' and personally feel support for all of them equally. I still inherently prefer JWM to Openbox, which is why I pushed Fred recently to create a JWM menu version for his Jessie64. Also I like having xdm working even though I am also generally auto-logging-in as root. We all have our own favourites, I am sure - mine really being MintPup, albeit remastered to the way I like it.

I think you should bite your tongue and realise that you are imagining competition when there is none. But that is up to you!

William

EDIT: By the way Fred, I was attempting some humour when I asked half-heartedly if you thought Linux Mint htop was patched to give good report. Poor attempt no doubt. But actually that conky github link I gave clearly states that some of the Opensuse versions of these utilities had been patched. That was to alter what /proc/meminfo stats are counted. Not sure what the inference or big deal is about all this myself.

EDIT2: And it was just my opinion, and remains so, that htop in Xenial is 'screwed' in the sense that it reports far too high RAM usage compared to previous htop reports we are used to. Perhaps Ubuntu publish the new meaning somewhere, but until and unless people are made aware of the change, then its report has no meaning and thus screwed as a useful tool until then - for me at least, unless some arbitrary result means something to you???

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/screwed+up
github mcewanw

fredx181

#276 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:Perhaps Ubuntu publish the new meaning somewhere, but until and unless people are made aware of the change, then its report has no meaning and thus screwed as a useful tool until then - for me at least, unless some arbitrary result means something to you???
For info: It's not just Ubuntu, just tested on Debian Stretch and there's also big difference between htop and free (for what it's worth; htop on Stretch is same version as on Xenial)
So looks like a modern way of displaying memory 'used' from htop.
Maybe I'm not good in google searching but couldn't find useful info about this change.

Fred

mcewanw

htop

#277 Post by mcewanw »

I have verified my view that it is not satisfactory to simply swap htop between systems (unless you want to use older htop even though htop is moving on and new version being adopted in the later Ubuntu/Debian/other distributions). In particular, I have identified the altered calculation, which explains, I believe, the much larger than expected usedRAM figure being reported in XenialDog compared to MintPup. Of course that assumes I have verified correctly, but my view anyway. Details here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 344#904344

As for which calculation is better. Not me to say... The new one seems more correct (since shared memory is used memory and can surely not be freed up easily in the way cache can), but makes comparisons between older systems invalid of course. free and top use their own calculations, which may also be changing of course.

EDIT: But if the newer htop calculation is seen as more meaningful by the Linux community experts (which I am certainly not), which I presume it is, then better to upgrade htop to latest in all systems IMO. Same would be the case for any such app (free, top etc).

Williiam
github mcewanw

saintless

#278 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred, William.

I will let others judge which tone is aggressive reading the last pages.
Before this thread gets more and more away from MintPup I prefer to stop here.
I just removed myself from github DebianDog organisation members and it is up to you now what will happen with this organisation page.
All DD versions first pages are linked to github so it is easy to change any information you like. Fred has access to all dd-repositories. I don't mind if you ask Flash to give you access to edit the first pages posts in all threads started by me (I don't know if it is possible).

From this moment I will be active only in mintpup github page and I will probabaly fork DD-Jwm Wheezy and Jessie versions there later.

Sorry starhawk, you will have to get help from others or use github issues page for MintPup if you need help from me (link in the first post).

Toni

mcewanw

#279 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni,

I'm not sure what your problem is but per my above post I moved the discussion/analysis of what is going on with htop/top/and free onto the old development thread you suggested.

Personally, I was just always trying to get to the bottom of these memory usage discrepancies and have now done so (I think). I believe Fred was simply doing the same, but you attacked for some reason - apparently a misunderstanding, which you still seem to have. That's a great pity since I have nothing again you whatsoever, despite some of your less positive comments recently, and think you do a wonderful job with DebianDog - which is pretty much your original creation and certainly your leadership. Of course no-one is likely to sit back and allow you to insult them or accuse them unfairly, but you should take any such responses in good faith, since that good faith is certainly there and we will certainly be sorry to lose you. I'm sure Fred agrees.

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#280 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, William
Toni wrote:I prefer to stop here
William wrote:Personally, I was just always trying to get to the bottom of these memory usage discrepancies and have now done so (I think). I believe Fred was simply doing the same, but you attacked for some reason - apparently a misunderstanding, which you still seem to have. That's a great pity since I have nothing again you whatsoever, despite some of your less positive comments recently, and think you do a wonderful job with DebianDog - which is pretty much your original creation and certainly your leadership. Of course no-one is likely to sit back and allow you to insult them or accuse them unfairly, but you should take any such responses in good faith, since that good faith is certainly there and we will certainly be sorry to lose you. I'm sure Fred agrees.
Yes, I do agree.

I feel sad that you stop, Toni, and the reason why makes it extra sad.
Nothing is eternal, and I knew that someday something like this could happen.

If it was for example because of not having enough time, or just lost interest somehow or other personal reasons, I could accept better.
But this is - from my point of view - just about misunderstanding.
Indeed it's a great pity that you apparently can't see it like that.
Maybe if you do, I hope you come back on your decision.

All the best anyway,

Fred

backi

#281 Post by backi »

Hey you guys !
What`s going on .....
Now i am feeling somehow guilty .....because of this shitty Htop thing ( and Conky too ) which showed for me 360 megs Ram ( which i myself never believed ).

Hey you guys ....MintPup and Debian and Xenial
which ever you like are superb Distros ....ultra-fine ..
Creme de la Creme !
I beg you please boys and girls .....please come back to Mother Earth again .!

Respectfully
backi !

Belham

is this thread's last 2-3 ages real??

#282 Post by Belham »

+1 backi

You guys are all big boys and can sort your own stuff out, but I can't help but wonder is/was this thread hijacked over the last 2-3 pages with people and the postings?? I mean, what in heck happened???

Various versions of Puppies each make each other stronger, or they each can make each other weaker. There's a reason that saying of "...divide and conquer..." is the first maxim of battle/war. The few MSFT/Apple cone heads coming by Murga probably couldn't be happier when they read a thread like this, and couldn't laugh any harder in our (users) faces of the various versions/derivatives of Puppy that we use.

Please, all, just step away, have some beers, but still come back for the war. It can be won. Big OSes are going to disappear. Do this together. Not apart.

dancytron

#283 Post by dancytron »

Wait. What happened?

You guys have created something really great. I'd really hate to see something that seems like a small disagreement that took on a life of its own ruin it.

The thing about the internet is that people from all over the world interact with different cultural backgrounds, often not in their first language. It is easy for misunderstandings to crop up and people to be insulted.

Saintless, please know that a lot of people appreciate the work you've done. I've read most of this thread, and I honestly don't think there was any bad intent by anyone. Please take a step back and reconsider.

wanderer

thanks

#284 Post by wanderer »

saintless

I too would like to express my appreciation for all you have done

but you should do whatever is comfortable for you

please keep in touch

thanks again

wanderer

labbe5

Is Mintpup upgradable to version 18 of Mint?

#285 Post by labbe5 »

I am wondering if Mintpup can be upgraded to a Mintpup 18.

I think we have to redirect Mintpup towards repositories of Mint 18, but i am afraid that could break the system. Anyone has tried it?

backi

#286 Post by backi »

Hi labbe5 !

Good Question !!

backi

#287 Post by backi »

Hi !.....

Anybody at home ?

fredx181

#288 Post by fredx181 »

I'm in the neighborhood :)

Mintpup is initiated by Toni, as you know, info from here what he is up to:
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Wheezy
I will get back to the starting point first building base version with only live-boot-2 (without yad, without gtkdialog, without porteus-boot scripts, without /opt directory and sh restored to dash). From this point I will try to make command line scripts for frugal and full install, sfs-load, remaster and some more working with dash. The result from this base will tell how DebianDog-Jwm and MintPup development will continue here for me.
Fred

backi

#289 Post by backi »

Hi fred
Thanks for the info.....keep on rocking !!!

saintless

#290 Post by saintless »

Hi.

Reading the posts after closing DebianDog-Jessie thread I don't feel I like to share or contribute anything. I wish you were in my shoes, so that one day you would be able to understand what I feel posting this below.

This project has been discontinued.
The github repository will be removed in few days.
Anyone who wants to work on it - now is the time for backup.

saintless out.