Adobe Flash Player Auto Updater

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#91 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Geoff.
Geoffrey wrote:Easy fix, edit line 109 in /usr/bin/update_flash, change grep -A2 Linux to grep -A3 Linux.

make sure you delete the ~/.flash_update folder if it exists before running the script.

tell me if that fixes it for you...
Flamin' Adobe..! I wonder if they'll ever get tired of playing 'musical URLs'? :lol:

I'm running a slightly adapted version of your Auto-Updater; I've modified the target path to point to my remote data partition, from where I run all my browsers, sym-linked into all my Pups so I only run one instance of each.....using davids45's method.

I've got a single instance of PepperFlash linked into all the Chromium-based browsers.....so I figured it'd make just as much sense to have a single instance of FlashPlayer, sym-linked into every Pup at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, for the Mozilla-based ones, too.

Which works nicely.

I keep Pepper updated with a slightly adapted version of the modification sfs made to your original script, so's it'll work for Pepper:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 162#913162

And it works beautifully.

----------------------------------------

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I've substituted

Code: Select all

grep -A3
...for

grep -A2
.....deleted /root/.flash_update, re-run Menu->Internet->Update Flash, and she's behaving herself again. (For the moment... :roll: :lol: )

So, go ahead and re-publish. Sorry to have put you through all that again...! (At least it's working once more.....for the time being.)

Thanks, Geoff. It's very much appreciated. I may be a wee bit 'sloppy' with some stuff in Pup.....but Flash is one thing I am strict about (and running around 10 Pups, it's a nightmare keeping on top of them all manually!) Automating it makes one less thing to worry about...

Mike. :wink:

Geoffrey

#92 Post by Geoffrey »

[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

EdD

#93 Post by EdD »

removed the version on my slacko 6.3.0 and installed the new one. The 'download flashplayer update' pane stays empty, and no download starts. Sorry to say, it ain't working for me.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

Geoffrey

#94 Post by Geoffrey »

EdD wrote:
removed the version on my slacko 6.3.0 and installed the new one. The 'download flashplayer update' pane stays empty, and no download starts. Sorry to say, it ain't working for me.

The directory /root/.update_flash is most likely still in existence from the previous failed attempt, delete it and then it should work :wink:
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Bird Dog

Updating Flash

#95 Post by Bird Dog »

I'm having problems updating Geoffrey's flash on my 32 bit computer. The update works great on my 64 bit computer (version 26.0.0.131). When I try to update on my 32 bit computer it says adobe flash update has already started. New Version for YUM for Linux.tar.gz for Linux.rpm for Linux. I click resume which is all I can do and it says download flash player update please wait but nothing happens. I also tried deleting the directory through the pfind program and uninstalled everything that said flash update and tried reinstalling like you mentioned above but still no joy.
I now have an older version of flash than what I started with. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

Geoffrey

Re: Updating Flash

#96 Post by Geoffrey »

Bird Dog wrote:it says adobe flash update has already started. New Version for YUM for Linux.tar.gz for Linux.rpm for Linux.
Sounds like you have what Mike Walsh experienced, download and install the latest version update_flash-1.8.pet from the first post,
make sure you delete the ~/.flash_update directory before running the updater.
I just tested the 1.8 version to be sure it's still working, worked fine.

Bird Dog

Adobe Auto Updater

#97 Post by Bird Dog »

Hi Geoffrey I tried deleting anything that had flash update while using pfind but some of the directories wouldn't delete, probably the ones that needed to be. Anyway that gave me an excuse to try Tahrpup 606 and then when I installed your flash update it worked fine. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

autumnleaves

#98 Post by autumnleaves »

I have been labouring to get a working version of Tahrpup64 6.06 onto a machine, and after multiple reinstall and a couple of major issues, overcome with the help of forum members, I installed the updater (1.8) so that I would no longer have to see the no flashplayer warning. It seemed to work well, so I set it to run on boot. But when I did a reboot, my mouse pad/keyboard (USB remote) were frozen. I discovered that unplugging and replugging the USB key restored mousepad function, but I still have no keyboard. Has anyone seen this before, and is it due to something the flashplayer updater may have changed?
Thanks for your assistance.

Geoffrey

#99 Post by Geoffrey »

@autumnleaves,

The option for it to check at startup only creates a symbolic link in ~/Startup to the /usr/bin/update_flash.

This shouldn't affect your usb ports, there must be another problem.

This updater only downloads the 32bit version of flash, Getflashplayer might be a better option as it caters for 64bit http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 815#960815

autumnleaves

#100 Post by autumnleaves »

Thank you for your reply, I wonder if the xorg.conf file might be affected. On the first reboot the Nvidia driver lost settings, but on a subsequent reboot correct resolution was restored.

EdD

#101 Post by EdD »

Geoffrey wrote:
EdD wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Fixed Adobe Flash Player Auto Updater, see first post for new package version 1.8

The directory /root/.update_flash is most likely still in existence from the previous failed attempt, delete it and then it should work :wink:
Thanks, but it must be past my ability level. I'll just keep using flashblock. Adobe stuff isn't necessary for what I do these days anyway. Flash is only good for getting ads anymore.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

Argolance

#102 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Am I the only one who hasn't been able to update the flash player for some time? :roll:

Cordialement.

Mike Walsh

#103 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Argolance:-

Half the trouble with trying to use the auto-updater scripts is Adobe's insistence on playing 'musical URLs'. They keep changing the source URLs where you can obtain the downloads from.

Myself, I always use the Flash Checker page from Adobe:-

http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/

....and follow it up by using the link further down the page:-

https://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

.....to d/l the latest version. I then unzip the tarball with UExtract, and stick libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. A bit on the 'manual' side, perhaps, but it keeps me up-to-date.

You're not the only one having trouble getting hold of the latest version, 'cos trying to navigate through Adobe's site is a bit like trying to tiptoe through a minefield. It's a f***ing nightmare, mate.

------------------------------------------------------------

We'll only have about another year of this, anyway; at the end of 2020, Flashplayer/PepperFlash will have gone the way of the dodo, and become extinct. At that point in time, all websites will have to go HTML5-only; either that, or they'll start losing traffic, big-time. :roll:

Some webmasters are playing the 'waiting-game', and are hanging on for grim death until the deadline, at which point they'll have no choice but to re-code their sites.....

Argolance

#104 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Thank you Mike for your answer.
trying to navigate through Adobe's site is a bit like trying to tiptoe through a minefield. It's a f***ing nightmare, mate.
Ah ah! :)
Yes indeed: one nightmare among many because it's not the only field in which you have to travel on tiptoe!
I still wonder what is the point of such a survival strategy? They're bored and have nothing else to do?

Cheers!

Argolance

#105 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
For those who would still be interested: :arrow:GetFlashPlayer 1.7.2
Cordialement
Last edited by Argolance on Fri 25 Oct 2019, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

ETP

#106 Post by ETP »

@ Argolance:-

Merci beaucoup, c'est très gentil à vous.
Attachments
GetFlash.png
(29.19 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

EdD

#107 Post by EdD »

Argolance wrote:Bonjour,
Am I the only one who hasn't been able to update the flash player for some time? :roll:

Cordialement.
You're not alone. Fortunately, Flash isn't important to me anymore. I would like to be able to delete all the flash update files, but some persist anyway. Several minutes after starting FF, I get the message that the updater failed, where I used to get it right after startup of the system.

fredx181

#108 Post by fredx181 »

I think the script from Geoffrey at first post needs an update because of a change at the adobe end, changing the "about" url: 'adobe.com/software/flash/about/' to: 'get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/' makes it work again for me, here's modified script:

#!/bin/bash
# By Geoffrey, do with as you please.......
# 15052017
# Update Flash v1.8
# Used sed in place of perl as suggested by sfs
# yad no longer a dependency, uses gtkdialog
# fixed url not found "get.adobe.com/flashplayer/" from some locale's, get update version info from alternate url "adobe.com/software/flash/about" rg66
# fix linux detection by sfs
# 14122016 final, Linux flashplayer now follows Firefox - NPAPI
# 20022017 reverted back to using busybox strings to get libflashplayer.so version number
# now only looks for new version @ adobe.com/software/flash/about
# URL fix 15052017
# fredx181, 27102019, fix: change "about" url: 'adobe.com/software/flash/about/' to 'get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/'
FLASH_UPDATER="$(readlink -e "$0")"
sleep 0.3
if [ `pidof "$(basename "$FLASH_UPDATER")" -o %PPID | wc -w` -gt 1 ]; then
gtkdialog-splash -icon "/usr/share/pixmaps/flash-player-properties.png" -timeout 6 -fontsize x-large -text "
Flash Updater is running.
" &
 exit 1
fi

if [ ! -f ~/.flash_update/index.html ]; then
IFCONFIG="`ifconfig | grep '^[pwe]' | grep -v 'wmaster'`"
while [ "$IFCONFIG" != "" ]; do
   sleep 1
    ping -c 1 8.8.8.8
    if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
      break
   else
      ping -c 1 www.google.com
      if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
         break
      fi
   fi
done &> /dev/null
fi

function DOWNLOAD_FLASH(){
URL='fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/'$LATEST_VERSION'/flash_player_npapi_linux.i386.tar.gz'
wget -t 2 -T 20 --waitretry=20 --spider -S "$URL" > ~/.flash_update/filesize 2>&1   
SIZE=`echo $(awk '/^Length: / {print $3}' ~/.flash_update/filesize) | sed 's/^.\(.*\).$/\1/'`
export DOWNLOADER_GUI='
<window title="Download Flash Player Update" icon-name="flash-player-properties" border-width="10" resizable="false">
<vbox>
<progressbar width-request="300">
<label>Please Wait...</label>
<input>wget --no-check-certificate -4 -c -t 5 -w 5 -P ~/.flash_update '$URL' 2>&1 | sed -nru "s|.* ([0-9]+%) +([^ ]+).*$|\1\nDownloading \1 of '$SIZE' @ \2B/sec |p" 2>/dev/null</input>
<action type="exit">Ready</action>
</progressbar>
<hbox homogeneous="true">
<button use-underline="true">
   <label>"_Cancel "</label>
   <input file stock="gtk-close"></input>   
   <action>func_terminate_service</action>
   <action>EXIT:exit</action>
   </button>
</hbox>
</vbox>
</window>'
I=$IFS; IFS=""
for STATEMENTS in  $(gtkdialog --program=DOWNLOADER_GUI); do
   eval $STATEMENTS
done
IFS=$I
[ $EXIT = exit ] && exit 1

cd ~/.flash_update/
tar -zxvf flash_player_npapi_linux.i386.tar.gz libflashplayer.so &> /dev/null
chown root:root libflashplayer.so
cd /
rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
mv ~/.flash_update/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
export INSTALLED_VERSION=$(busybox strings -n13 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so  | grep 'FlashPlayer_' | cut -d '_' -f2-5| tr '_' '.')
gtkdialog-splash -icon "/usr/share/pixmaps/flash-player-properties.png" -timeout 6 -fontsize x-large -text "Flash Player has now been updated
         Version $INSTALLED_VERSION"

[ "$LATEST_VERSION" = "$INSTALLED_VERSION" ] && rm -r ~/.flash_update
func_terminate_service
}
export -f  DOWNLOAD_FLASH

func_terminate_service(){
PID_UPDATE_FLASH=$(pidof update_flash)   
GUI=$(ps -ef | grep program=FLASH_UPDATER_GUI | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $2 }')
     kill "$PID_UPDATE_FLASH"
     kill "$GUI"
      }
export -f  func_terminate_service

[ ! -f ~/Startup/update_flash ]   && echo false > ~/.update_flash
if grep -q true ~/.update_flash 2> /dev/null;then
CHECKBOX='<default>true</default>'
else
CHECKBOX='<default>false</default>'
fi

mkdir -p ~/.flash_update
if [ ! -f ~/.flash_update/index.html ]; then
# fredx181, changed about url to "get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/"
wget --no-check-certificate -O- --spider get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/ > ~/.flash_update/flash_url 2>&1
if grep -q '200 OK' ~/.flash_update/flash_url 2> /dev/null; then
wget -q -N -P ~/.flash_update get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/
else
gtkdialog-splash -icon "/usr/share/pixmaps/flash-player-properties.png" -timeout 8 -fontsize x-large -text "The Adobe web site appears
  to unavailable at this time
      Please try again......."
rm -r ~/.flash_update && func_terminate_service         
fi;fi

export LATEST_VERSION=`cat /root/.flash_update/index.html | grep -A3 Linux | grep [0-9] | awk -F '[><]' '{print $3}' | tr -d "\n"` #rg66
export INSTALLED_VERSION=$(busybox strings -n13 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so  | grep 'FlashPlayer_' | cut -d '_' -f2-5| tr '_' '.')

if [ "$LATEST_VERSION" = "$INSTALLED_VERSION" ]; then
TEXT="<b><span size='"'large'"'>Adobe Flash is up to date...</span></b>"
TEXT_VERSION="<b><span size='"'x-large'"'>Current Version $INSTALLED_VERSION</span></b>"
TEXT_LINE1="$TEXT"
TEXT_LINE2="$TEXT_VERSION"
BUTTON1='<button use-underline="true">
   <label>" _About"</label>
   <input file stock="gtk-info"></input>
   <action>disable:TIMER</action>
   <action>launch:UPDATER_ABOUT</action>
   </button>'
TIMER='<timer seconds="true" interval="8" visible="false">
    <variable>TIMER</variable>
    </timer>'
rm -r ~/.flash_update   
else
if [ -f ~/.flash_update/flash_player_npapi_linux.i386.tar.gz ]; then
TEXT="<b><span size='"'large'"'>Adobe Flash update has already started...</span></b>"
TEXT_VERSION="<b><span size='"'x-large'"'>New Version $LATEST_VERSION</span></b>"
TEXT_LINE1="$TEXT"
   <label>" _About"</label>
   </button>'
BUTTON2='<button use-underline="true">
   <label>"_Resume"</label>
   <input file stock="gtk-apply"></input>
   <action>DOWNLOAD_FLASH</action>
   </button>'
else
TEXT="<b><span size='"'large'"'>A New Adobe Flash update is Available</span></b>"
TEXT_VERSION="<b><span size='"'x-large'"'>New Version $LATEST_VERSION</span></b>"
TEXT_LINE1="$TEXT"
   <label>" _About"</label>
   </button>'
BUTTON2='<button use-underline="true">
   <label>"_Update"</label>
   <input file stock="gtk-apply"></input>
   <action>DOWNLOAD_FLASH</action>
   </button>'
fi;fi

LINK="<b><u><span color='"'blue'"'>Update Flash 1.8 By Geoffrey 15th May 2017</span></u></b>"
ABOUT="<b><span size='"'x-large'"'>Adobe Flash Updater</span></b>"

export UPDATER_ABOUT='
<window title="Flash Player Updater" icon-name="gtk-about">
  <vbox>
    <text wrap="false" justify="2" use-markup="true"><label>"'$ABOUT'"</label></text>
    <eventbox tooltip-text="  Adobe Flash Player Auto Updater  " hover-selection="true" homogeneous="true">
      <text justify="2" use-markup="true"><label>"'$LINK'"</label></text>
      <action signal="button-press-event">defaultbrowser http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100523 &</action>
     </eventbox>
    <text><label>""</label></text>
    <text wrap="false" justify="2" use-markup="true"><label>"Updates only the flash player plugin libflashplayer.so"</label></text>
    <text><label>""</label></text>
    <hbox space-fill="false" space-expand="true" homogeneous="true">
      <button ok>
        <action>closewindow:UPDATER_ABOUT</action>
      </button>
    </hbox>
  </vbox>
  <variable>UPDATER_ABOUT</variable>
</window>'

export FLASH_UPDATER_GUI='   
<window title="Flash Player Updater" icon-name="flash-player-properties" border-width="10" resizable="false">
<vbox>
 <hbox>
  <vbox>
   <pixmap>
    <input file icon="flash-player-properties"></input>
    <height>48</height><width>48</width>
    </pixmap>
  </vbox>
  <vbox>
   <text wrap="false" xalign="0" use-markup="true"><label>"'$TEXT_LINE1'"</label></text>
   <text wrap="false" xalign="0" use-markup="true"><label>"'$TEXT_LINE2'"</label></text>
   <checkbox use-underline="true">
   '$CHECKBOX'
    <label>_Run Flash Player Updater at startup</label>
    <variable>STARTUP</variable>
    <action>echo $STARTUP > ~/.update_flash</action>
    <action>if true ln -s /usr/bin/update_flash ~/Startup/update_flash &> /dev/null</action>
    <action>if false rm ~/Startup/update_flash &> /dev/null</action>
    </checkbox>
  </vbox>
  </hbox>
  <hbox homogeneous="true">
  <hbox>
    '$TIMER'
    '$BUTTON1'
   '$BUTTON2'
   <button use-underline="true">
   <label>"_Cancel "</label>
   <input file stock="gtk-close"></input>
   </button>
  </hbox>
  </hbox>
</vbox>
</window>'
gtkdialog --program=FLASH_UPDATER_GUI >/dev/null 2>&1
EDIT: Also attached: update_flash-1.8-1.pet including this change.

Fred
Attachments
update_flash-1.8-1.pet
fixed update_flash v1.8-1
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

Mike Walsh

#109 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

Thanks for the 'fix', mate! Your modified script has got my update_flash-1.8 working again for the first time in a loooong while..... :D

This was always one of my favourite bits of Geoff's software, 'cos I love the GUI for it. I know you can appreciate that, seeing as how you're very much a GUI man yourself (and understand the value of them), since they help to convince newbies that Pup's not SO hard after all.....

Adobe went through an extended spell, some while back, of juggling all their Flash download URLs around every few weeks.....and this went on for months and months. I believe Geoff simply got fed-up with constantly re-writing the script.....then he dropped off the radar for quite a while, and when he did reappear, I think his priorities had changed. Update_flash just slid further and further down into the Puppy 'pit of obscurity'...

Our Russian colleague, SFS, adapted Geoff's script for PepperFlash, and it works so well that I incorporated it into my Chrome & Iron packages. Strictly speaking, it's not needed for Chrome any longer, since the Linux release now auto-updates from within the browser itself , though it still works well for Iron.

Curiously, Adobe have never shifted the Pepper URL around, not even once; it works as well today as the day when SFS posted his 'mod'.....

Go figure. A sign, I guess, of the enormous 'clout' Big Brother now wields; it can even 'persuade' a huge concern like Adobe to do things so they're to Google's advantage.....

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 27 Oct 2019, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

Argolance

#110 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
ETP wrote:Merci beaucoup, c'est très gentil à vous
De rien, thanks! :wink:
Adobe went through an extended spell, some while back, of juggling all their Flash download URLs around every few weeks.....and this went on for months and months.
This is why, seeing that Geoffroy has not been seen on the Forum since July, continuing the momentum of the "getflash" originally created by technosaurus and Barry K, improved by ASRI, a remote configuration file was used, automatically downloaded at the start of the application and saved as /root/.getflash/getflash.conf, avoiding having to modify the main script. I also added, for ToOpPy users, a flashing notification icon in the system tray when a new flash version is available, icon that user has just to click to install the latest version.
This :arrow: getflashplayer 1.7.2, which obviously does not intend to overshadow Geoffroy's script, is also internationalized, which makes it accessible to non-English-speaking users.

Cordialement.