Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Aug 2015, 23:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can't install Adobe Flash Player (Solved?)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
harrisnyc

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug 2015, 08:30    Post subject:  Can't install Adobe Flash Player (Solved?)
Subject description: Message says to check my internet connection

Hi all,

I'm using Tahrpup 6.0 CE, and when I try to install the Adobe Flash player (via either the Internet menu option or "quickpet") I get the message "Unable to contact the server, please check your internet connection".

My firewall is currently turned off. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Harris

EDIT: Now it seems to be working! I'm able to watch videos on Youtube, CNN, etc. I guess it did install......
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug 2015, 09:23    Post subject:  

This link should tell you if flash player is installed and what version it is:-
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about

The GetFlash utility may need to be updated because the adobe flash download URL was changed but this should all be easliy done via the TahrPup updates. Then it should be easy to check for flash player updates and install them. It is usually a good idea to do this around once a month as they come out fairly often.

There is a new automatic updater being developed here:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100523

Or grab a .pet from here:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84267
I usually find that the flash player 10 works flawlessly and browsers never seem to complain that it is out of date. Security issues are relatively unlikely to pose a problem on Linux, but if this is a concern to you then you should go with the version 11 and update regularly.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug 2015, 17:04    Post subject:  

Hi, harrisync.

Just to add to what Oscar has said, if you want to check what version of Flash you're running, and what the current version of it is, check this page:-

http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/

As he mentioned, the 'Get Flash' utility probably does need updating, because of the afore-mentioned Adobe URL change.

Regards,

Mike.

Bindee

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug 2015, 18:24    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
I usually find that the flash player 10 works flawlessly and browsers never seem to complain that it is out of date. Security issues are relatively unlikely to pose a problem on Linux, but if this is a concern to you then you should go with the version 11 and update regularly.

Oscar i like you very much but what a load of old crap , what bloody decade are you living in? Mr. Green

Nearly every flash exploit via webrowser now affects all platforms and every version of flash as the information stolen such as passwords , log in session cookies and persistant flash super cookies are taken from the webrowser history and folders regardless of the platform.

Nearly every critical alert and update has been for both Windows and linux as it's not the operating system that's the problem.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: