Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 17:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can I boot Puppy from flash drive with Grub4Dos on a CD?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
Cecil

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 09:59    Post subject:  Can I boot Puppy from flash drive with Grub4Dos on a CD?  

Working on older computer running XP. Would like to have the option to run four versions of Puppy (Tahr, Slacko, Racy, Wary) from four separate ext4 partitions on a USB flash drive. Would like to run Grub4Dos and have it installed on a CD. The computer will boot from the CDROM drive first but does not have the option to boot from the USB drive. I know I can install Grub4Dos on the hard drive but I am a little reluctant to try this option first because it is not my computer. I am hoping Grub4Dos can run from the CD which then gives me the options for the four different Puppies as well as XP. Is this possible? Thanks. Cecil
Les Kerf

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 17:44    Post subject:  

I don't know about Grub4dos but I know for certain that the PloP Bootloader will do what you want.
Les

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 18:01    Post subject:  

I think both will, but I am sure PloP will.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 18:08    Post subject: Grub4Dos on a LiveCD with Pups on Hard-Drive  

Hi Cecil,

I've never used PloP Bootloader. And while I've also never done what you've asked, shinobar's thread may provide a place to start:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=460405#460405

Before starting, make a careful note of the exact location --drive, partition and folder-- of each of your Pups on the USB-Key and the exact spelling and grammar of everything. Linux is case sensitive. The above means that you'll have to plug the USB-Key into the computer where it's to be used, boot a Puppy via a CD and know how Puppy sees the target computer with the USB-Key plugged in. For example, the computer you're building it on may have one hard drive, while the target computer may have two: a USB-Key may be assigned a different "name" on each.

Step 8 of shinobar's first post reads "Edit the 3 files, menu.lst, README.htm, splash.xpm. Former 2 can edit by a text editor. The splash.xpm is 640x480x14(14 or less color depth) .xpm file, you can edit by mtpaint or gimp. You can also edit the UPUP.ICO by gimp." Emphasis added.

When you edit menu.lst, you can add listing for the Pups on the USB-Key.

The file you're told to download, graphicalmenu-files-20140531.tar.gz, includes a pet named dir2iso. I think it will run under any Pup. But its best to install it to one of the Pups to make certain it will run. I suggest Wary since it was published closest in time to LupQ referred to in the above thread. After installing it, pfind its executable, browse to the executable's location, open a terminal there and type "ldd dir2iso" without the quotes. That will tell you if anything is missing.

You may be able to avoid including any Pup on the CD. Just

1. Create a work directory as indicated in Step 3 of the linked post.
2. Copy all the contents in 'graphicalmenu-files-xxxx' attached to the work directory, but move the dir2iso-xx.pet to another place.
3. Install the dir2iso-xx.pet.
4, Edit menu.lst as noted above.
5. Follow steps 9 thru 11 of the linked post.
6. After you have the ISO, use one of the applications in Menu>Multimedia which burns an ISO to a CD.

But it may prove useful to include a Pup on the CD. Its always nice to be able to boot something when everything else is going wrong. If so, be sure to include a No SAVE FILE listing so that when booting it doesn't try to load any SaveFile on the USB-Key.

A No SaveFile listing will have something like this as it's kernel Line:

kernel /LOCATION/vmlinuz psubdir=LOCATION pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck,ram

mikesLr

P.S. Just re-read this part of your post: "Working on older computer running XP. Would like to have the option to run four versions of Puppy (Tahr, Slacko, Racy, Wary).

Are you sure the older PC will be able to run Tahr and Racy? And which Slacko? The older Slacko 5.3 might run, while the newer 5.7 might be too resource demanding. Perhaps you should consider not using specific names on the Grub4Dos Menu. Rather, use something like Pup1, Pup2 etc. Then, for example, if Tahr proves to be too resource demanding you could simply delete its files from folder "Pup3" and substitute the files from Lupu Revitalized. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=850665#850665.

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 19:33; edited 1 time in total
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 18:42    Post subject:  

grub4dos only works with MBR hardrives, regular grub would also work since it can be a cd dvd booter. isolinux would be more forgiving plop is the right choice for what you want to do.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 20:00    Post subject: PLop "boot-loader"  

Hi again Cecil,

If Ted Dog --who knows a hell of a lot more than I-- suggests plop, than that's the obvious way to go.

Thought these links might save you some time:

PLOP - boot loader, Short thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67379. One post suggest you'll need an actual bootloader on the USB-Key. But read the others and see the following:

How to install, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69458; and

Add USB boot to Grub4dos menu, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93531

You can find other posts using a Wellminded Search: http://wellminded.net63.net/

But actually, unless I've misread the posts, since PLOP will supersede XP's bootloader anyway, I'd rather use mcewanw's solution, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=774874#774874 which I take to run something like: boot Puppy from a CD. Plug in the USB-drive. Run Menu>System>Grub4Dos, select the computer's (first) hard-drive as the location for it to install itself to, and allow it to search all drives (therefore including the USB-drive), I know that there are applications which can "fix" mbrs over-written by Grub4dos.

Maybe someone else knows if Plop is as easily "undo-able".

mikesLr
Les Kerf

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 23:35    Post subject:  

Burn a cd with Plop on it; boot it up, and choose which drive you wish to boot.

Use plpbt.iso

It will NOT touch or harm your XP bootloader.

Do NOT use plpbtin.iso unless you truly want to overwrite your MBR; this is not the end of the world if you do, however.

You do need a bootloader on the thumb drive, I use Grub4Dos on mine.
Les
Les Kerf

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug 2015, 23:38    Post subject:  

If your PC has a floppy drive, it works even easier than a cd with PloP.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug 2015, 04:06    Post subject:  

Quote:
grub4dos only works with MBR hardrives,

I use grub4dos as the bootloader for my lucid iso/CD and use the graphical menu with it. As to using with the flash drive perhaps using uuid to identify the pups would be the best way if using that.
And forget partitioning the stick...no need...indeed stick to fat32 and one partition for least problems....subfolders are apparently popular round these parts.

mike

ps use mkisofs with grub as isomaster is broken...it messes up the case of filenames which messes up grub usage.

Also why not keep the pups on the cd and use the flash for save files only...there is a thread here for multiboot cd making.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug 2015, 12:11    Post subject:  

OK I miss typed grub4dos is only install on MBR systems and you can then use it to boot CD DVDs, however the way I read OPs post was he really only wanted to use the other way around, but his request is so confusing, that is why I recommended PLoP, it will boot and give him a choice to finish booting with files on anything connected, Since it covers both bases he (OP) doesn't have to retry to explain or figure out what he wants first before giving him a more solid answer.
Cecil

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug 2015, 11:50    Post subject:  

Thank you everyone for the wonderfully detailed replies. This has been most helpful.

Cecil
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: