Boot Puppy from Apple Mac

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Smithy

#1 Post by Smithy »

Doing a search for usb booters, found this one as a potential solution.
http://sevenbits.github.io/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/
Whether it is any good, and will cover older Macs (Requires OS X 10.8 or later & 64-bit EFI ) probably not.
Might be useful for some.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

We have mine to boot using usb and efi also boots win8 and win10 witbout change. If yours has a dvd drive press alt C at startup chime to select that to boot from. DETAILS ON efi boot in beginners section links to grub4efi there.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

Billtoo

#4 Post by Billtoo »

Here's Just-Lighthouse64 running from a DVD+RW

Just have to hold down the left option key and cursor over to the dvd
icon to bring up the lighthouse boot menu.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(41.47 KiB) Downloaded 751 times

oui

#5 Post by oui »

Hi

I did read a few weeks ago a message on that forum claiming for help concerning the use of Quirky-Unicorn-experimental-6.2.1.91 on MacBook as Quirky-Unicorn-experimental-6.2.1.91 is only

one unique file :idea:

(it is not really usual)

- you only need to download it into your mac system where it is only a regular file, not so big at all :wink:

- and perhaps you can create in the mac book a second regular file, somewhat like 2..3 Gb or more, and dedicate it to become a save file :roll:

2 regular file inside MacBoot EFI system... not more :idea:

but

- how to start it as in the past in windows directly from hardisk, and if possible, back to the MacOS return (would permit to continue to use the sleeping function of the mac :wink: ) , with a loadlin like (if an equivalent for efi system in MacOS for somewhat like loadlin is available)?

- would Quirky-Unicorn-experimental-6.2.1.91 be able to co-operate with files on an efi system (or is the use of the fat32 partition of the efi system usable to transfer files in both directions to organize some interchanges as batch file processing?

note: I refuse to use some USB drives or cards! if I will do that, I can directly buy a tablet without some hard disk... the way in the last message from billtoo is the way I am using since we have the Mac book. It is an friendly way as MacOS seems to notice the presence of the CD into the drive only if you are pressing the key... And the CD seems don't to disturb if it lay for a long time in the drive... But the difficulty is that no Puppy tested can interchange files with the EFI system and the MacOS ignore majestitly the other system being only really present if it is started in RAM (at this time, the macOS is not active at all...)

Billtoo

#6 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running Quirky 6.2.1 from an SDHC card which is plugged into a
Verbatim Pocket Reader model:97709
I downloaded the Quirky files from ibiblio and did the installation from
my 32bit LxTahrPup install.

Just need to press and hold the left option key and when the usb icon
shows up press the right arrow key to move to it, it will then boot to
the desktop.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(65.27 KiB) Downloaded 687 times

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

@oui

Do you own a mac? seems like you are making stuff up! lol EFI is FAT formated just not called it since I think FAT is Microsoft product. My MAC has a large 200M EFI that is unused except in rare upgrade mode by Apple. Both Linux and MacOS can see and use it. MacOS pretends it doesn't exist!
My grub4efi is copied into the Mac EFI part so I do not have to use any other boot ( no CD or USB needed ) Our other fav mini distro Slitaz is small enough to also fit beside my grub4EFI files within macs EFI. I use the 64bit version of Slitaz. However the main Fatdog64 ISO is located in root of MacOS since its just too large to fit in EFI. Savefile is in EFI part.
Linux can read but setup to not write the MacOS filesystem unless safe guards are removed first from the MacOS side. I never bothered to test those changes. MacOS has a nice resize tool GUI which shrinks main MacOS and frees the end of harddrive. I formatted the rest of harddrive as NTFS since both linux and MacOS supports the format very well.
I personally like Mac OSX and if it had a linux commands verses the wierd backward naming logic it has for options I would use it more. At this time OSX is just used when I am in dumb consumer mode ( netflix and my cable app for the family room ) I am too cheap to buy/rent another cable box for digital channels.
Netflix playback is better with Fatdog64 but wifi is worse so have to flip over if want to play a HD netflix on Fatdog64and hope no one else in house is using wifi.

oui

#8 Post by oui »

Oh thank you ted for those infos! Yes, we have a partner desk in our music room and bibliothek with 2 PC's. In the last 3..4 y. my wife and I did have each an old Dell SX280 with Pentium. My wife were always in NuTyx. I was in all Ubuntu, Debian, SliTaz, Puppy, and Nutyx, mainly in Puppy as I love to play with new Puplets and new ideas like the new devels from RSH :wink: (sorry that there is no 64 bit of them), and because in SliTaz x.org is often terribly difficult to use with accelerated chips... My old acer emachines64 (new as I did get it but not new at the market...) were in that time given to my aunt, so that I did not continue to use FatDog64 as there is no FatDog32 available (and it is one of the main reason why I did all the time be critic against those devel's not being available in both classic equipment levels! many people, also I, have different machine at home as, for ex. in business travel... it is a very usual situation!).

Since 4 weeks we did get from son and his wife 2 old 64bit PC better as our last ones and the Brother printer, and I have my old Acer laptop again...

My wife uses the Apple Mac laptop being yet in MacOS (but would prefer to be in Linux at two conditions: The excellent power utilities from Mac, only close the lap and the laptop is sleeping, and the energy consumption is low, is usuable and the pad performances stay available). I don't like the MacOS at all! All is different and I remember a family drama with it (divers people in our family work professionally developing for internet and PC. My old father were an early PC user in the early years of heroic small PC. As he did abandon his first PC, an TSR80, for an modern PC, he did not speak with or ask his parents being specialized but a supposedly great mathematic teacher out his bridge gaming table... The teacher did recommend "Apple mac". Dad did torture oneself about 10 years with that, hm, very different system... Nobody in his entourage did understand the Mac! And on French the newbie literature were not as easy to get for Mac as for old Z80 machines or PCs! It was a terrible torture... As he did becoming to be to old to continue that, he did buy an regular IBM compatible and after that did use the Acer emachines only 3 months himself. I relate those details because a lot of developers continue to be absolutely not conscious that they create unfavorable limits to their own success in shocking the user with methods varying from standard... It is not possible to say that Apple has no success but it would have more success and faster if the compatibility would have being better :wink: ; each one remembers probably the difficult acceptance from old Apple office (that did love!) or browser and the pression of Microsoft software creation on the Apple market! I did follow the evolution very early and without new products like phones and tablets, Apple would never have the market position it has now! And it is a few, in very smaller, the problem of FatDog64 :wink: in my opinion! Why so far from traditional Puppy, contents, stuff and methods, why never try to build back for 32 bits...?)

I use now a DELL Laptop with following hardinfo:
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory 8068MB (449MB used)
Display Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
Harddisk has 700 GB.

(Was in UEFI as I did get it but I did erase the partition table and install an old MS-DOS table...)

That is the reason of my interest concerning FatDog64 for all, the DELL Laptop, the older Acer Laptop, as well as MacBook :idea: . But i will not abandon completely the 32 bit world. An old DELL SX280 will continue to stay here because real 32 bit software.

Billtoo

#9 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running Quirky April64 7.0.4.1 from an SDHC card which is plugged into a
Verbatim Pocket Reader model:97709
I downloaded the Quirky files from ibiblio and did the installation from
my 64bit Mint 17.2 install.

Just need to press and hold the left option key and when the usb icon
shows up press the right arrow key to move to it, it will then boot to
the desktop.

EDIT: Switched to FbBox-2.0
Attachments