Realtek RTL8192CU WiFi Drivers for Puppy - Look Here First

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

New driver added for xenial_701-k4.5.2.

If would be nice to know if this vendor-based driver is still better than the in-kernel version.

patrick21

#17 Post by patrick21 »

rcrsn51, hi,

I just buyed a wireless pendrive D-link DWA 123 YWA 123BR.....D1G for my laptop Parckard Bell which does not have wireless card.

I am on Precise Triton 573, kernel 3.9.11

So I downloaded and installed 8192cu_precise571-k3.9.11.pet.

When I list the usb devices the pendrive appears

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2001:3310 D-Link Corp.

But is does not seem to be loaded.

After read many things on internet, inclusive here, I don't know how to do.

Peux-tu m'aider?

Thanks.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

I looked up this device at wikidevi.com. It is NOT an rtl8192cu device - it needs the rtl8188eu driver.

This driver is not in the Precise 3.9.11 kernel yet, so the adapter was not detected.

Read here for a collection of 8188eu driver PETs.

---------------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 03 Jun 2016, 03:03, edited 2 times in total.

patrick21

#19 Post by patrick21 »

Thank you.

I'll try the driver and write back.

patrick21

#20 Post by patrick21 »

Ola!

it works. I did'not really navigate but it is connected. If some problems appear, i'll tell you.

Thank you very much.

Obrigado.

patrick21

#21 Post by patrick21 »

I am back with the Pakard Bell, and the wireless pendrive. It woks perfectly.

Screugneugneu, you are the best!

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

Another driver added to the second group. With these new kernels, it appears that blacklisting the built-in rtl8192cu driver is REQUIRED.

Pelo

RTL8192CU for kernel 2.6.32.16...

#23 Post by Pelo »

dear rcrsn 51, would it be possible to ask you for run my KDE Slax with wireless connection to try a pet RTL8192CU for kernel 2.6.32.16...
DISTRO_NAME='431KDE3510Slax'
#A three-digit numeric value, version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_VERSION=02
#A two-digit numeric value, minor-version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_MINOR_VERSION=00
#The distro whose binary packages were used to build this distribution:
DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT='puppy'
#Prefix for some filenames: exs: 4KSsave.2fs, 4KS-02.sfs
DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='4KS'
#The version of the distro whose binary packages were used to build this distro:
DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='4'
#the kernel pet package used:
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='linux_kernel-2.6.32.16-uniproc-w5.pet'

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

Unfortunately, the kernel sources for these old Puppies have disappeared, unless someone else can find them.

I need them to build a new driver.

Pelo

Thanks for your useful help in lot of topics

#25 Post by Pelo »

Merci for your answer. I have problems of screen when i switche the kernel (choosing a kernel for which a wireless 8182cu yet exist) .
Thanks for your useful help in lot of topics
KDE-Slax would be worth a new version. It's such a special Puppy !
Tahrpup ans slacko do quite the same, KDE-Slax is an other world.
I canuse it on my new computer without web, and i can use it on my old Acer , but too big for its little RAM..Cpu works hard, temperature get to 80° and in must stop before Fire :D in my house

rcrsn51

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

Bumped. But only because Pelo bumped the older RTL8192CU thread.

Pelo

what does that mean : stopped, Because of me ?

#27 Post by Pelo »

bumped ? what does that mean : stopped, Because of me ?

starhawk

#28 Post by starhawk »

@Pelo -- to "bump" a thread is to post in it with little or no useful content, but by doing so bring it to the top of the thread list. Usually the point of a thread-bumping post is expressly to bring it to the top, so that people will be aware of it, since it's suddenly relevant again (at least to the one doing the bumping).

Many if not most forum-goers these days don't appreciate bumping particularly archaic threads (I think we know :oops: ) and some forums even lock old threads after a certain time has passed with no new replies, specifically to prevent them being bumped.

Just in case (I'm pretty sure you know this already, but it's here in the event that I'm wrong) -- what's a thread? A thread is a series of posts under one heading. In other words, this specific set of posts that I'm adding to, to reply to you, is one thread.

Pelo

In 2015 i bought a CSL dongle to connect wireless better

#29 Post by Pelo »

Understood. In 2015 i bought a CSL dongle to connect wireless better in a village where network is very weak, only at 20 kms from my house. so i browse the forum for drivers and rscrn51 answered usefully
But wireless is much better at home too with RTL8192CU driver.
I just change the kernel of My Puppy ToOppy to get it fitting with drivers provided here. And connection is much more stable;

Mike Walsh

#30 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Bill.

Just treated myself to a new USB adapter; a NetGear WNA3100M. It uses the 'rtl8192cu' chipset;-

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNA3100M

.....so, accordingly, I did a wee bit of research, and found your thread here. I'm trying this out initially in Slacko 570 PAE, with the 3.10.32 kernel, so have downloaded and installed your pet package, and have blacklisted the in-kernel driver for same.

The adapter is recognised via 'Dougal's', and it asked if I wanted to add the driver to the list of known WPA supplicants; I OK'd it, since WPA is what I use.

On attempting to connect, I'm getting :-

'Unable to connect', and 'Details' says 'Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory'.

I seem to recall I had this same problem with the TP-Link WN-725N adapter on a couple of occasions, but I'm hanged if I can remember how I resolved it. This is now using your driver package, not the in-kernel one.....but I was getting the same response from that one, too.

Any advice, please?

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just been trying the new NetGear adapter out in Tahr 6.05. Connected flawlessly, and being the first dual-band one I've used, I couldn't help noticing how much faster it seems to download on the 5 GHz waveband.....

Quite impressed. And dead 'chuffed', too! Any ideas why the Tahr in-kernel driver works straight-away, where even your version of the 'rtl8192cu' driver is having problems connecting in 570?

Mike. :wink:

dalderton

Realtek RTL8191S Wlan adapter

#32 Post by dalderton »

I have tried all the drivers in the Network Wizard and wlan0 not detected.AMD Athlon cpu.Any help appreciated. I have used this USB Adapter on other Pups without problems
Regards Dennis
All fixed

Pelo

wireless very bad to-day.

#33 Post by Pelo »

Looking for kernel 3.4.17 Slacko 5.5 wireless very bad to-day. Driver not in Rcrsn51 listing
Attachments
SFRWIFIFON.jpg
27/100 is very slow
(61.49 KiB) Downloaded 661 times

ElvesBrew

#34 Post by ElvesBrew »

Is there an external driver for the 8192 that will work for Slacko64 v6.3.2? I get a fairly decent connection via my ASUS dongle but no matter what I do it will drop connection every 5 minutes or so. Very annoying if you are trying to watch streaming videos on YouTube or Amazon Prime. I have found that by downloading a large file I can maintain connection for the length of the download but that gets old.

I see the pet for Slacko 6.3 but I assume that is only for the 32bit version. That won't work with the 64bit version will it?

I am currently running the PeasyWiFi v4.1 app as I am easily able to reconnect with that app and if I scan and check my routers details it immediately reconnects to both the router and the internet. Without Peasy it would connect to the router but could take as long as 5 minutes to reconnect to the internet.

Currently I am getting about 44 to 48 out of 70 signal strength with Peasy verses only 36/70 for the built in connection manager.

Any way, is there a driver for Slacko64 v6.3.2 and the 8192? I finally got the latest versions of Chrome and FireFox working with Slacko64 installed to my 32GB microSD card and everything is running very fast & smooth with the exception of the lost connections.

Appreciate all the shared info and for any help that might be offered.

EB

Semme

#35 Post by Semme »

Welcome Mate.

As I'm on 630/k4.1.11, confirm the kernel 632 runs: uname -r

Different? Run the command "lsmod | grep 8192"

If it shows "rtl8192cu" (referenced in the opening post), take a crack @ compiling the source pkg from github.

Of the three or so listed, go with the most recent >> https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes

You'll need the devx and kernel src pkgs loaded by Slacko's SFS_Manager.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<