Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Jul 2014, 15:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
WINE - When I Need Emulation.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
flamesage

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2005, 14:30    Post subject:  WINE - When I Need Emulation.  

Could someone create a .pup WINE?
Or could someone post some instructions on how to install wine on puppy?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2005, 14:43    Post subject: WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"  

WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"
See this post.
flamesage

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2005, 15:49    Post subject:  

I know that. But I still do not understand how to install it.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2005, 15:57    Post subject:  

I don't like to say can't, but I didn't have good success on my first and only try at installing Wine. I don't really need Wine so I didn't persist.

Probably, it could be installed, but some geek will have to work around the obstacles and solve some problems. Then share the info with others.
danleff

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2005, 17:59    Post subject:  

Ahh..the great Wine debacle.

The question is, why do you need Wine?

It runs very few useful apps, most that have comparable or better alternatives in Linux.

I have tried wine in the past and finally realized that it was not worth the trouble.

Of course, I don't use many games. OpenOffice fills the void nicely for my need to have compatibility with Word files.

Making a dotpup Wine package would be a challenge indeed! The other challenge would be to get apps to run on it well.

--Hannibal Smith
flamesage

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2005, 19:41    Post subject:  

Well I used wine over in MEPIS linux, to run a development tool (thats what I really really need) and it worked with a 99% success rate. The only small bug was with some icon, and it wasn't very major.
JohnMurga
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2005, 20:12    Post subject:  

Hey

I had to use Wine to Lotus Notes (for work) a while back.

It was excellent ...

There are times when you just "have" to use some tool that you've been "locked" into ... For this Wine is great.

I may make this my next challenge Wink

Cheers
JohnM

Down but not out
Ian
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2005, 20:37    Post subject:  

Hi John,

Yeah, I read a post on a BB a couple of years ago about a few businesses that were running Lotus Notes in Wine and I have used Wine a few years ago but don't see the need for it in Puppy as it would only be running the same old stuff that I have moved away from.

The idea behind Puppy is "Small & Fast " and although Wine is faster than VMware it still would be running slow programs.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul 2005, 03:16    Post subject:  

I think there is alot of people out there missing the point of puppy...

Small and fast

Not bloated......
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul 2005, 03:56    Post subject: Whining for Puppys (provide your own moon)  

JohnMurga wrote:
Hey

I had to use Wine to Lotus Notes (for work) a while back.

It was excellent ...

There are times when you just "have" to use some tool that you've been "locked" into ... For this Wine is great.

I may make this my next challenge Wink

Cheers
JohnM

Down but not out

I hope you decide to do this. Wine seems to be on every distro and I Embarassed have never been able to get it to work. Mind you I do not try very hard.

I appreciate that we are interested in bigger programs and I feel if Wine makes it as a pupget that can be optionally installed or uninstalled - it is not a problem. For example (even though I do not use Open Office) I feel Barrys inclusion of OO as a Pupget or unleashed add-on in the upcoming 1.0.4 is going to be very interesting. Why should we not have a Puppy Humonguos, a Puppy Barebones - an Opera Puplet and so on . . . Why not indeed . . .

PS. Sorry to hear things are down for you John - you might be interested in the Yin/Yang wisdom of Chinese Taoist philosopy - when things are going well, the Taoists are cautious because this changes - and when things are going badly, they are optimistic because this too changes . . .

Smile

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2005, 14:30    Post subject:  

Why Wine?
I sell a low volume product that's used by companies all over the world.
I've written all the software in Borland C++ builder.
It only runs on Windows. I'd love to be able to distribute a version that runs under Linux, but that's not going to happen unless I hire someone full time to do that (and there's no money for that).
With Wine I now have a solution to offer Linux users who want to purchase my product.

I'd love to offer a Linux version, but since that's not going to happen any time soon, Wine does the job.
EarlSmith

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2005, 22:43    Post subject:  

I had a post a while back about the one program in windows that my business really needs....QuickBooks. There is nothing that I have found in Linux that works as well for me. So, if Wine could run QuickBooks, I could finally convert 100% to Puppy. I'm sure other people have their own "one" program that prevents them from converting to Linux.
danleff

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2005, 04:07    Post subject:  

QuickBooks alternatives?

--Hannibal Smith
qa1433

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2005, 08:47    Post subject:  

Hi all,
I would like to see WINE as an option in Puppy also. I get the small and fast concept of Puppy. However, there are times when I need to run M$ tools for my business. When those times arise I am forced to re-boot and run Win2K. Confused

I have Crossover Office which works surprisingly well with all distro's that I have used it on. Also, I have had very good luck with the later releases of the free WINE app download. If I had the where with all to create a DotPub or PupGet of WINE I would.
Just my 2 cents,
Thanks!
Paul Cool
P.S. Thanks for this great distro! Laughing
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul 2005, 01:43    Post subject:  

I will chime in with the "let's have wine" crowd as well. While "fast" is a tenet of puppy philosophy ("small" is not mentioned in the mission statement, btw), I think item 7 in the mission statement is at least as important, if not more:

Puppy will have all the applications needed for daily use

After all, what good is a small, fast operating system if it doesn't have the software you need? And as much as I love and support the free software movement, there simply are situations in which windows programs are necessary for certain users.

However, I will also say that I don't think that WINE should be part of the regular puppy distro. It should be a pupget or dotpup download, so that the general userbase (who do not want or do not need WINE) don't have to deal with the bloat of downloading it.

BTW, in my mind, at least, the pupget repository has become a sort of place where software packages go that are too big or esoteric for the general puppy distro, but that some people might have use for, so someone went through the process of putting it together. Is this actually so? or am I just dreaming that? Could pupget be the repository for Open Office, WINE, etc?

ND

Sorry if this is incoherant...it's late.
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: