WINE - When I Need Emulation.

Booting, installing, newbie

#16 Post by Guest »

There is a possible "rich man's" solution to running WINE. It seems silly, but you could just Remote Desktop back to a Windows machine. This requires a second computer running NT/XP Pro and a fairly fast LAN, so it isn't a very good work around.

#17 Post by Guest »

Before we get ahead of ourselves.....what are the required libs for WINE. Is gtk-2.4 needed...I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

klhrevolutionist

ugh

#18 Post by klhrevolutionist »

just for my two cents what is wine needed for ?
one distro without wine my show signs that bill gates is not needed let's make puppy that distro!!!

dracothered

Re: ugh

#19 Post by dracothered »

[quote="klhrevolutionist"]just for my two cents what is wine needed for ? [/quote]

I need wine to run a program called FREE!ship that is a great little program for helping in the design of boats. I would also like to try and run a CAD program that I also use.
Corbin
Draco the Red

rarsa

#20 Post by rarsa »

QickBooks alternative
Hey! this is puppy a light, small and simple distro for your 'everyday' needs.

Puppy is not meant to run a company. If you have a company that you have to administer in QuickBooks, Then get a decent computer and a full distro.

Yes, Puppy is impresive doing what it's designed to do, that doesn't mean that it's everything for everyone.

Actually you will see that many (most?) of the puppy heavy users use Puppy for the convenience and speed but also a different distro when they need to do more demanding stuff (development, video processing, run a company, etc)

If your accounting requirements are not too demanding (don't require and integrated work flow from payroll, accounting, etc) you should have a look at this article

So, let's keep puppy simple and fast. If I'm going to drive in the city, park anywhere and save gas, I may get a smart car. If I'm moving, I'll get a truck.

danleff

#21 Post by danleff »

Keep in mind that Wine only runs a very limited number of Windows programs from wihin Linux. Some very well, others not at all. Folks should take a look at the Wine HQ web page and look at the list of supported applications.

There are also some offshoots of Wine, such as Codweavers. If you look at their web page, you will also see a limited number of supported programs.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

flamesage

#22 Post by flamesage »

Well yes, but I already tested the program I needed in wine, besides, I believe you can get MOST programs working with wine if you tweak it.

I got ragnarok to work once.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#23 Post by Lobster »

What is happening with the Puppys whine?

http://frankscorner.org/

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

flamesage

#24 Post by flamesage »

What's that mean? 0_o

gliezl

#25 Post by gliezl »

rarsa wrote: So, let's keep puppy simple and fast. If I'm going to drive in the city, park anywhere and save gas, I may get a smart car. If I'm moving, I'll get a truck.
"When your big, you're slow. When you're small, your very mobile. "

I agree with rarsa. :D

MU

#26 Post by MU »

installing Wine in Puppy

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2582

Greets, Mark