Probing every start -solved

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
T42

Probing every start -solved

#1 Post by T42 »

This quote is from Kajaan on July 24 2010 with no reply. It is exactly my problem:
"Unfortunately that hasn't been the case for me with Puppy 5.0. I've saved everytime I shutdown, but still get the Puppy Video Wizard everytime I start up.
So I guess I would like to know "how to set and save only one screen resolution." I'm totally new to Linux so it'd be great if I can be spoon fed how to disable the Puppy Video Wizard and automatically choose Xorg for LCD with resolution 1024x768x24 on startup.
Also there's nothing wrong with my video settings choices as Puppy's worked fine everytime. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers! "

My system:Athlon LE-1620, GeForce 7600GS 128MB, K8m890E, 4GB memory
puppy Lucid 5 on a multisession dvd [no hard drive or usb drive]
I even tried the save icon on my desktop. :)
Last edited by T42 on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

:D Welcome Mate!

Say, if the numbers haven't changed when the wizard opens, you could try removing the executable flag on /usr/sbin/xorgwizard.sh, provided this file is aboard your version. It's exists on 528.

Code: Select all

chmod a-x /usr/sbin/xorgwizard.sh
Then save changes and see if she pops up on subsequent boots.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

T42

#3 Post by T42 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it tomorrow .

T42

#4 Post by T42 »

I opened a console and typed what you wrote and it did the job. Thank you.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Great! It's the opposite if you ever need it again.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

partsman

#6 Post by partsman »

Well for what its worth I thought I would give my experience with this issue :D

When saving the session at shutdown xorg would start normal on the next boot :wink:
But when saving with the desktop save icon the next reboot would cause xorg not to start and complain about not shutting down right etc. "sorry cant remember exact words :oops: "
or would I like to go to a command line :shock:

I assume this is what your describing ?
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

mostly_lurking

#7 Post by mostly_lurking »

partsman wrote:When saving the session at shutdown xorg would start normal on the next boot :wink:
But when saving with the desktop save icon the next reboot would cause xorg not to start and complain about not shutting down right etc. "sorry cant remember exact words :oops: "
or would I like to go to a command line :shock:
I assume this is because there is still the hidden .XLOADED file in /root or /etc when you save while X is running and the file gets included in the saved session, which on the next boot makes Puppy believe that it wasn't properly shut down. The solution would then be to delete .XLOADED before saving.

partsman

#8 Post by partsman »

mostly_lurking wrote:I assume this is because there is still the hidden .XLOADED file in /root or /etc when you save while X is running and the file gets included in the saved session, which on the next boot makes Puppy believe that it wasn't properly shut down. The solution would then be to delete .XLOADED before saving.
Thanks mostly_lurking :D
Thanks also to T42 for bringing this up :wink:

In the past I really didn't worry much about it I just pressed enter and allowed puppy to go ahead and start X "Just got used to it" and I never had a problem :wink: But it was always one of those things I always wonder about ! :wink:

Always something new to learn in the land of puppy ! :D
Thanks all ! :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

T42

#9 Post by T42 »

Well a lot has happened!
partsman: no it happens every time no matter how I save it.
BEWARE! Semme's answer caused problems.
Two days later I shutdown with saving and when I started up the verbose: stopped with a xorg read error. " please type xorgwizard"
Which did nothing. Then I typed the script Semme gave me and it must have done something as there were no error message.
Then I typed xorgwizard and xorgwizard.sh which gave me I needed permission. I searched google but found no way of giving myself permission on the bootup vebose.
. But I could go no further. I tried searching for a command line of exit or shutdown with save, but I found nothing on google.
I gave up that try and pulled the wall plug on the computer.
Started up again and used F2 and [lucky!] found pfix=ignore the last n updates.
So I told it to ignore the last two updates [burns] and Bobs your uncle it worked!
So I'm back to doing the probe thing every bootup. I learnt some more stuff about Puppy
but it takes hours of searching to solve any problem and days of searching if I am under high adrenalin because of a system failure. :)

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Opposite of "minus" equals >> chmod a+x /usr/sbin/xorgwizard.sh

:wink: It's important to be thorough before flagging another members post.

partsman

#11 Post by partsman »

My system:Athlon LE-1620, GeForce 7600GS 128MB, K8m890E, 4GB memory
puppy Lucid 5 on a multisession dvd
I am just wondering T42 ? Did you install a video driver for your video card ?
Maybe that may help ! NVidia drivers usually work well with puppy ! :wink:

Or you may try a newer puppy like Tahrpup that the open source drivers would be newer and maybe better !
I cant blame you for wanting to stick with Lucid though ! But you may have to install a video driver if you do ! :wink:

T42

#12 Post by T42 »

Nope I just ran puppy live and everything worked. Lan ,sound ,video.
Having to press enter for the probe on startup is no hardship. :)
Same success with a IBM T42 laptop, except no probe prompt.

T42

#13 Post by T42 »

I found out what was going on. The Puppy box is fed into a KVM.
If the KVM is selected to Puppy when I start Puppy, it goes straight to the desktop.
If the KVM is selected to one of the other computers when I start Puppy
it goes to the probe first. :)