Question about install?

Booting, installing, newbie
joshfan

Question about install?

#1 Post by joshfan »

I finnaly installed puppy to my hard drive and it booted and all is great. but I only created a 330mb partition and a 128 mb swap. is the 330mb partition big enough for puppy or sould i increase its size?

Billcnz

#2 Post by Billcnz »

330 Mb is too small for a full install, remember the 70 Mb on the cd is highly compressed and has to expand and you also need room for documents or stuff you download or programs you add on. I would aim for approx 1G as a minimum, although your pressent setup would probably be OK if you just want to boot from the cd and use a pup_save.3fs file but I think you'd soon run out of space.

Bill

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know about the new puppies, but the 1.x series was between 100 and 200 MB decompressed. So if you aren't going to save more than 100 MB of stuff you should be fine. Keep an eye on programs that use caches though. Firefox defaults to 50 MB, a problem that crashed a few puppies at one time or another.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

joshfan

#4 Post by joshfan »

thanks for the information,
I acualy downloaded the Bare Bones puppy, but I will be downloading as needed. I will increase my partition.

NOW!! the big question is how do i go about incresing its size, with out messing anything up?