Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 16 Feb 2020, 20:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Local Cable going full digital. What to do?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2015, 22:21    Post subject:  Local Cable going full digital. What to do?
Subject description: Need advice on CableCard & Linux help

Got the notice the local cable ( TWC ) is dropping old style cable directly connection to TV. Seem at end of month most all channels going to encryption and need a free for now device to see what you are paying for. From other roll outs they start charging after a year for those encryption devices.
So looked around and found you can get a CableCard for a 3rd Party machine.
ANYONE with advice on a homerun device and a linux household?
perdido

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2015, 01:32    Post subject:  

Dont have personal experience but there are a bunch of reviews on amazon to dig through, mentions linux compatible in the ad http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Compatible-Streaming-HDHR3-CC/product-reviews/B004HKIB6E/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2015, 10:50    Post subject:  

Thanks yes Amazon has some good linux people on board the reviews but was hoping for puppylinux insight. Already have a very old stable OTA linux based system ( mostly puppylinux 420) which I like for grabbing PBS weekend programs, its the only one that can retain entire channels streams not just one like windows based cards.
The box seems useful but many say only certain OS versions and for pay software combos get full use.
Not looking at more money for a poor solution over rental decoders ( after a year )
rokytnji

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:06    Post subject:  

I have not done this yet but am playing with idea in my head for the bike shop.
Using existing stuff except for what I mention that I need to buy below

First I need to buy one of these

Look at the back of the units photos to see computer hookups.

Cheaper not as nice featured unit at walmart.

I am thinking of running one of my older wireless free city hall dell desktops as a internet media grabber and piping it into the above benq type of unit and using a splitter like this
from headphone jack on computer to input sockets on a old analog stereo amplifier with some speakers for sound.

If streaming connection sucks. Like we get in texas. Then I download with wget and watch what I want. I have good links for what ever I wanna watch online. As you know already.

TV screen can be a white bedsheet. Streached out on my white fence. Or the side of the metal shop building.

This is just a idea so far. Funds are tight so on the backburner for now. Just a crazy idea of mine. I know it is not what you are asking for. But I figured I'd share my idea anyways.

What is cool is you can watch tv outside this fall. When the weather is nice and temps cool down. With a ice chest and a bbq grill. Still to hot up here yet for outside evening viewing.

http://tvwatchparties.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/backyard-theater-1200x904.jpg

We run Dish Network satellite dish in the house. This idea is just something I came up with for the shop. I could probably do the same in the house on the big screen TV. Through the TV vga plug. Run sound like I mentioned above instead of through the TV.
Much better sound that way.

The wife likes her Dish channels though. Especially the Investigation Discovery crime channels and cooking channels, to name a few. Plus Turner Classic Movies. So I am not allowed to mess with that.

So I have the computer, stereo,speakers,splitter,bedsheet, internet, already.
Just need to buy me a projector. Wink
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:24    Post subject:  

Lol have a LED projector with same resolution as the walmart el cheapo hooked up to a 12v battery on wheel chair. Its DVD resolution and Dish does output HD on HDMI to it.
However with only 30W LED its hard to see even in normal texas dark sky. Not bad indoors at a coffee table distance ( about sized like 60in across ) with dark shade. I used a 6ft roller shade ( also at walmart near backwall pillow and bath towel area ) for 40$ as roll up screen.
Funny note left my early white sheet version for RV since its visible outside and I had a flame screen saver and left it on ( does need an hour to stop focus creep its cheep for reason. Heat changes focus )
Second the DLPs used are seconds and thirds with large manufacturing defects of larger screen resolutions. So run it not stop to break in dead pixels etc so you can replace it in the limited coverage time ( 30 days )
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:44    Post subject:  

For just a bit more coin get a true HD version not a 800x600 svga OLD OLD one. Shop around.. many options and price points.

WALMART elcheapo does have speaker. So for watching movies not need the rest. Also my RaspberryPi2B loves my simular el cheap even matches its resolution which provides a clear readible text per pixel. Nothing else I own can lower its resolution to match DVD res. Not bad for a full media player ( RaspberryPi2B usb drive and 12v projector that can be powered for hours off car battery under 125USD total )
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: