dukto

Miscellaneous tools
slavvo67

#16 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm much more interested in an easy solution to opening up a computer for global access.

Dukto and the other solutions seem ok for home LAN, though I'm not a fan of Musher0's illustration of a usb stick with a medium quality brand, at best. He He...

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
musher0 wrote:@rcrsn51
Answer to your Q. #1 : No.
Answer to your Q. #2 : Actually, someone on this forum has come
up with such a method. ;)
Waiting for your test results and feedback.
Hello rcrsn51.

I would test it if it was as simple as connecting two computers with a
serial cable. But connecting two computers with an ethernet cable is
much more complicated. So for me, sneakernet it remains!

Nevertheless I advertised your utility. Does my selflessness earn me
any points? :)

@slavvo67
If you have better quality thumb drives to suggest, go right ahead! :)
I used the illustrated one as a type, not as a specific.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

musher0 wrote:But connecting two computers with an ethernet cable is much more complicated.
Explain. If the two machines are part of the same LAN, even by WiFi, they are already "connected".

musher0

#19 Post by musher0 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
musher0 wrote:But connecting two computers with an ethernet cable is much more complicated.
Explain. If the two machines are part of the same LAN, even by WiFi, they are already "connected".
They're not. I don't have a "LAN".
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

davids45

Dukto for Multiple Devices on a home LAN

#20 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I think some of the posts are assuming Dukto is for simple file transfers between computers on a home LAN.
There are quite a few pets/scripts for this particular task already.

The thing I am attracted to is Dukto's ability to transfer files between phones, tablets, Windows computers and Puppy computers. I don't have any Apple devices any more (got rid of the IIe a little while ago :cry: ).

This one package (Dukto) seems to 'fit all sizes (situations)' once each device has its version of Dukto installed.

Intermediate devices like USB drives are no longer needed, besides my smartphone and tablet don't have a standard USB socket anyway.

I apologise if any Puppy pet can already communicate with these 'other devices' and allow these other devices to communicate with each other independently of a Puppy computer. For example, I haven't yet tried rcrsn51's latest network transfer offering despite downloading it :oops:

And being an 'old dog', I no longer need to learn several different 'new tricks' to move files around between networked devices - just the one learning curve to navigate at last :D (I hope :wink: ).

Of course, I'm still stumped by the trick (new for me :? ) to get GLIBC 'updated' for Dukto with my older Pups so everything still works.

David S.

tlchost

#21 Post by tlchost »

musher0 wrote:
tlchost wrote:When the distance between the two computers results in travel time
exceeding my memory span, the sneakernet method may not be best,
@tichost

"... exceeding my memory span..."
Precision : Your own memory span doesn't matter. You don't need
to use your own memory cells
But, if I forget the location of the other computer, I'll never be able to carry the usb drive to it.

musher0

#22 Post by musher0 »

tlchost wrote:
musher0 wrote:
tlchost wrote:When the distance between the two computers results in travel time
exceeding my memory span, the sneakernet method may not be best,
@tichost

But, if I forget the location of the other computer, I'll never be able to carry the usb drive to it.
Maybe install an extra RAM stick in that free slot in your brain?
I did! It worked wonders! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

tlchost

#23 Post by tlchost »

musher0 wrote:
tlchost wrote:
musher0 wrote: @tichost

Maybe install an extra RAM stick in that free slot in your brain?
I did! It worked wonders! :lol:
I tried it....picked up some Write Only Memory on ebay....so far it hasn't helped.

davids45

Dukto for older glibc Pups

#24 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

For those with android devices and computers that would like a simple file transfer option, Dukto is excellent.

However, in older Pups I ran into a glibc error where the Pup had glibc of 2.13 - I needed at least 2.15 according to the terminal. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 407#891407

With help from 6502coder, I found a script to load the newer libc library files for just dukto to use thereby leaving the Pup alone for its other applications.

Dukto (wanting glic=2.15) running a Wheezy Pup (glibc=2.13) via the script is in the attached screenshot.

My 'run_dukto' script is:
#!/bin/sh
# copy required newer version libc6 file to safe place
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/my-applications/dukto_libc/dukto215:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} dukto $@
and I'd copied the needed newer glibc files to /my-applications/duktolibc/dukto215/ which is off the normal PATH for Puppy to look for lib files.

This same fix also works for the epson-printer-utility (for displaying ink levels in an Epson ink jet printer) where the same new lib files are loaded but the script runs the printer utility not dukto. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 109#893109

But........
..... I find this fix does not work in old Puppies where the glibc version is 2.10 or 2.11 :cry: .

The screenshots show the error message from Racy-5.5 and SnowPup-015. Can such a PLT reloc or segmentation fault be fixed?

Would anyone have a way to still use this simple approach to run a particular, ONE-OFF, too-new application in a (not)-too-old Pup?

David S.
Attachments
duktorunningwheezy.png
(142.21 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
RACY55-runduktooutput.png
(44.96 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
snowpup_libc_error.png
(52.15 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

jamesbond

#25 Post by jamesbond »

I use ES Explorer (Android-side) and gFTP (puppy-side) to transfer files between Android and PC.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Atle

#26 Post by Atle »

I use rcrsn51's Wlanmaker and Jamesbond's Fatdog, mixed in a special way in order to achieve that any Android without a client program can up and download to my PC by wifi. Other PC's can do the same, no matter Mac, Android og Windows.

We can all do the same cross puppyland, but one needs to figure out if its a demand for it.

People can not know if they are in demand of something they dont know what is.