How to use rtl8191s USB wireless adapter? Solved thanks.

number77

How to use rtl8191s USB wireless adapter? Solved thanks.

#1 Post by number77 »

Hello
I have puppy 431 on a dell lattitude P1200, 256m ram. I have an external usb wireless dongle ( rtl8191s ) and linux driver in the form tar.tz. How do I load that.
Thanks
number77
Last edited by number77 on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

No such product...dell lattitude P1200

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... ude_laptop

" I have an external usb wireless dongle ( rtl8191s ) and linux driver in the form tar.tz. How do I load that. "

We need the product name/model >> wireless dongle.

eg:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=rtl ... an+adapter

"""""""""

You probably need another updated Puppy in a light version
that suits your laptop.

Welcome to Puppy....Chris.

Chris.

number77

#3 Post by number77 »

cthisbear wrote:No such product...dell lattitude P1200

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... ude_laptop

" I have an external usb wireless dongle ( rtl8191s ) and linux driver in the form tar.tz. How do I load that. "

We need the product name/model >> wireless dongle.

eg:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=rtl ... an+adapter

"""""""""

You probably need another updated Puppy in a light version
that suits your laptop.

Welcome to Puppy....Chris.

Chris.
Dell latitude ( spelling corrected ) PP01L.
usb wireless adapter is Wireless USB Adapter, made in china, from the original box. Puppy detects it as a rtl8191s.
Puppy 5.5 slacko does detect it and installs it correctly but as the laptop is quite limited I could do with something more basic.
Any ideas

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Wireless drivers have to be compiled for the kernel they'll be used with and they won't work with any other kernel.

If you can't add RAM, do you have any swap memory? It would cost nothing to make a 500 MB swap partition on the hard disk or even on a USB flash drive. Or you could do a swap file, but that's harder to make work. Puppy looks for swap partitions when it boots and will use one if it finds it.

number77

#5 Post by number77 »

Flash wrote:Wireless drivers have to be compiled for the kernel they'll be used with and they won't work with any other kernel.

If you can't add RAM, do you have any swap memory? It would cost nothing to make a 500 MB swap partition on the hard disk or even on a USB flash drive. Or you could do a swap file, but that's harder to make work. Puppy looks for swap partitions when it boots and will use one if it finds it.
Wary 5.3 also has the drivers for the rtl8191s so untill I find a smaller quicker booting version of puppy I can use wary 5.3
The laptop will have very limited use, only to connect to my music server and choose what I want to play over the main system.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

In Wary 53, run the "lsmod" command and identify the wifi kernel module that is being loaded. Is it "r8192s_usb"?

number77

#7 Post by number77 »

rcrsn51 wrote:In Wary 53, run the "lsmod" command and identify the wifi kernel module that is being loaded. Is it "r8192s_usb"?
It is the usb but I am having problems that wary 5.3 and all other distros I try will not save settings on first shut down and also wont shut down at all till I power off. The only one that saves and shuts down is 431 and it doesnt have the rtl8191 usb driver. I have the driver disc that came with the usb adapter and it has a linux driver in the form of rtl819x tar.tz but I dont know what to do to try that.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

number77 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:In Wary 53, run the "lsmod" command and identify the wifi kernel module that is being loaded. Is it "r8192s_usb"?
It is the usb
I don't know what that means. Does it mean that you saw "r8192s_usb"? You need to provide precise information. Please confirm this before we go any further.

number77

#9 Post by number77 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
number77 wrote:
It is the usb
I don't know what that means. Does it mean that you saw "r8192s_usb"? You need to provide precise information. Please confirm this before we go any further.
No it loads r8712u with no details for the bus or description. but it does work and connects to the internet.
My more pressing problem is I cant get anything to save settings. I get as far as administrator but get no choice of file size of 512m and it just stops and wont shut down.
Reading further shutdown is a common problem.

number77

#10 Post by number77 »

Flash wrote:Wireless drivers have to be compiled for the kernel they'll be used with and they won't work with any other kernel.

Do you mean make a partition with gparted and what should I call it. Its a problem being a novice.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

number77 wrote:Do you mean make a partition with gparted and what should I call it?
Yes, use Gparted. First tell us what Gparted says is on the hard disk drive, how it's partitioned. If it's a standard Windows installation, there will be only one partition on the HDD right now. That is, the entire HDD will be a single partition dedicated to Windows.
If you have a USB flash memory you don't care about, experiment with it before you take on the HDD.

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/specs ... 20669.html

"""""""

" usb wireless adapter is Wireless USB Adapter, made in china, from
the original box. "

And ze brand name would be????????????????????????????????
Or the instructions...docs...give us a clue.

Why some people get results and others??????????????????????????

Chris.

number77

#13 Post by number77 »

Flash wrote:
number77 wrote:Do you mean make a partition with gparted and what should I call it?
Yes, use Gparted. First tell us what Gparted says is on the hard disk drive, how it's partitioned. If it's a standard Windows installation, there will be only one partition on the HDD right now. That is, the entire HDD will be a single partition dedicated to Windows.
If you have a USB flash memory you don't care about, experiment with it before you take on the HDD.
I partitioned the hdd before installation. It has two 18gb ext2 partitions, sda1 has /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 1.3gb and is boot, sda2 has nothing 341mb.

number77

#14 Post by number77 »

" usb wireless adapter is Wireless USB Adapter, made in china, from
the original box. "

And ze brand name would be????????????????????????????????
Or the instructions...docs...give us a clue.

Why some people get results and others??????????????????????????

Chris.[/quote]
??????????????????????????? It is in a new box with Wireless USB Adapter on front back and all sides. Back also has made in China.
There is no name, rank or number anywhere at all not even on the cd or instructions which are only for windows.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

number77 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
number77 wrote: It is the usb
No it loads r8712u with no details for the bus or description. but it does work and connects to the internet.
My more pressing problem is I cant get anything to save settings. I get as far as administrator but get no choice of file size of 512m and it just stops and wont shut down.
Reading further shutdown is a common problem.
In Wary 53, I plugged in a USB WiFi adapter that uses the r8712u driver.

1. the kernel module r8192s_usb was loaded
2. the kernel module r8712u was NOT loaded
3. r8712u is NOT even in the Wary 53 kernel

So I really don't know what is going on here.

number77

#16 Post by number77 »

Hello rcrsn51
The adapter works on slacko5.7.
Barrys simple network setup says it is a wireless r8712u, doesnt say whether it is usb or not and has no description of it. It installs it and it works.
PupSysinfo detects it as a usb network adapter : RTL8191s WLAN adapter.
Puppy slacko 5.7 is pretty large for a P1200/256m ram ideas for something smaller that will have driver.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sigh. You have now mentioned Slacko 5.5, Wary 5.3 and Slacko 5.7.

Before continuing, you need to return to Wary 5.3 and identify the kernel module using the "lsmod" command.

number77

#18 Post by number77 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Sigh. You have now mentioned Slacko 5.5, Wary 5.3 and Slacko 5.7.

Before continuing, you need to return to Wary 5.3 and identify the kernel module using the "lsmod" command.
Will wary 5.5 do, I cant find wary 5.3 but wary 5.5 instals is as a rtl 819xU.
I cant understand the results of lsmod.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

number77 wrote:... I partitioned the hdd before installation. It has two 18gb ext2 partitions, sda1 has /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 1.3gb and is boot, sda2 has nothing 341mb.
If I understand you correctly, sda1 is an 18 GB partition which presently contains 1.3 GB of stuff. Sda2 is also an 18 GB partition but it only contains 341 MB of stuff. In my opinion the easiest way for you to make a swap partition would be to first backup the contents of sda2 (and sda1, just to be safe), then use Gparted to shrink sda2 down to a smaller partition. The unused space freed up would then be made into a swap partition. I'd suggest that the swap partition need be no larger than 500 MB.

number77

#20 Post by number77 »

Flash wrote:
number77 wrote:... I partitioned the hdd before installation. It has two 18gb ext2 partitions, sda1 has /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 1.3gb and is boot, sda2 has nothing 341mb.
If I understand you correctly, sda1 is an 18 GB partition which presently contains 1.3 GB of stuff. Sda2 is also an 18 GB partition but it only contains 341 MB of stuff. In my opinion the easiest way for you to make a swap partition would be to first backup the contents of sda2 (and sda1, just to be safe), then use Gparted to shrink sda2 down to a smaller partition. The unused space freed up would then be made into a swap partition. I'd suggest that the swap partition need be no larger than 500 MB.
I have created a 530mb ext2 partition, How do I make it into a swap partition.