How to use Netgear with USB wired connection?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
cooltechkathy

How to use Netgear with USB wired connection?

#1 Post by cooltechkathy »

My friend an aerospace engineer that I turned on to puppy linux has a lan connection usb wired connection netgear wwan network adapter sprint hotspot 93c driver details sierra wireless inc. netgear model aircard 7715 system 32 driver swhsnetwoo.lsys tried usb to wwan driver for sierra did not work wireless netowrk connection netgear pci netgear wg311v3 to 802.11 g wireless pci adapter netgear pci system 32 driver wg3aav3 xp.sys marvell semiconductor tried marvell top dog 802.11 wreless did not work. running dual boot system with nmicrosoft windows xp home ediiton version 2002 sp3 celeron d cpu 3.20 ghz 896 mb ram with puppy dual booting from ext 3 partition of 5 to 8 gb frugal install for tahrpup 6. cannot get networking wired or wireless to work from puppy. wants to use from tahrpup 6. works from xp. please assist.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Kathy: Please read what you just posted and ask yourself: "could anybody else possibly understand that?"

Then repost it in a form that makes some kind of sense.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Kathy, can't your friend post to the forum? He must have had to write at least a little bit to get a degree in Engineering.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

First update Tahrpup.

Click on Quickpet icon on desktop.
Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup bug fixes or tahrpup updates.

After all the bug fixes are installed, good idea to reboot so they all get saved.

Now start the Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Should be offered the 6.0.2 and 6.0.3 service packs.
Install them.
Reboot.

Should now be totally updated to the date you did this.

For wired connection
menu->Setup->Internet Connection Wizard->Wired or wireless LAN->Network Wizard
eth0 should be listed (this is the wired connection)
Click on the eth0 button
Select auto DHCP

What happens?

For wireless connection
(This guide is a little old, but it gives you general steps)
Illustrated Guide to setting up a wireless network connection.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65346
Follow this guide.
If you get to a step that does not work.
What step?
What do you see?

We need specific details of what happens.
You are our eyes, we only know what you tell us.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

I think I've deciphered your cryptic request:
Your friend has a Netgear AirCard 771S mobile hotspot. This device takes 3G or 4G data, and either rebroadcasts the data as a wifi hotspot, or tethers directly to your computer by USB connection. This tethered USB connection probably won't work under Linux, I don't think there's a Linux driver for this.
But for wifi connection, your friend just needs to get their Netgear WG311v3 wifi adapter working, and since this wifi adapter has the Marvell chipset, there's no native Linux driver available and you must use ndiswrapper with a Windows driver.
The problem with ndiswrapper is that there are often multiple versions of Windows drivers, (Win98, Win2000, WinXP, WinVista etc) and success often depends on which version you use. According to this link -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... r_WG311_v3
the Windows2000 version should work best. So download this driver archive -
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg311v3_1_0.zip
then run these commands to extract -

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/where/I/downloaded/the/file
unzip wg311v3_1_0.zip
Now you just need to remove the spaces from directory names, since Linux doesn't like spaces.
Change "WG311v3 V1.0" to "WG311v3_V1.0"
and change "Windows 2000" to "Windows_2000".

Now you can run the (full) Network Wizard, select "ndiswrapper" and when prompted to select the "inf" file, browse to /WG311v3_V1.0/Driver/Windows_2000/ and select "WG311v3.INF"
Whatever you do, don't shift any of those other files in that directory - they're referenced by the inf file.
Now your wifi interface should work.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

It goes without saying that having receiving this assistance you (or your friend) should report the outcome.

cooltechkathy

Netgear with usb wired connection

#7 Post by cooltechkathy »

Tempestuous: and others
Thanks for your assistance. Mike's netgear card died and we were trying to use netzero with a print hotspot to do what you suggested but he cannot get it to work so this is not so good. I think the ndis wrapper solution might work but wanted to let you know that linux has a driver that is on the disk and it looks like i might have to compile tahrpup kernel to add the driver since we wanted to resell puppy and the netgear solution. It goes without saying that since if it works with your solution we will have to pay you something. I do not know yet how to get the sprint modem working. Sprint hotspot 93c sifi name lte 3feofd23 using pup dial need to set up correctly getting error. Tried initialization strings suggested still not working.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

OK. so the Netgear WG311v3 PCI card has died, and you now want to get a Realtek-based USB wifi adapter working?
To avoid cross-posting, I have just replied about the Realtek USB device in your other forum thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 562#868562