Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 12:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
How to use the newest PepperFlash with an older Chromium ...
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2015, 05:53    Post subject:  How to use the newest PepperFlash with an older Chromium ...
Subject description: Swapping libpepflashplayer.so modules; also works for Chrome & Slimjet.

Morning, everybody.

If you're like me, sometimes your system just 'works' better with an older browser. The newer versions of Chrome/Chromium, with the 'sandboxing' for each tab (despite being more secure) are getting rather 'heavy'.

But, at the same time, you need the newest version of Adobe's PepperFlash Player, since this is one of the most common attack vectors for hackers.

This is one way to do it..... (amended method)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Go to this site:- http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/chromium-pepperflash-plugin/pkg/14.1/

2) Create a new directory in your 'Downloads' directory; call it 'Pepperflash', or similar. Download the .txz package (3rd line up from bottom.....4.3 MB, or thereabouts).

3) Extract the contents of the .txz package to the new directory you've just created.

4) Look through the new directory, and locate /usr/lib/chromium/Pepperflash. Open it, and you'll find the 'libpepflashplayer.so' module, and the 'manifest.json' file. Leave this window open.

5) Now; this is where the 'magic' happens. Open a second ROX-Filer window on /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins.

6) Delete the libpepflashplayer.so and manifest.json in /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins. Drag the newly extracted versions across from the second window to this one, and drop; select 'Copy'. Voilà!

7) You now have the most up-to-date PepperFlashPlayer available to whatever version of Chromium you prefer to use. I have a powerful enough machine that I could run the most up-to-date Chromium all the time if I so wished, but I actually prefer the older versions of the recent past, simply because they're not as 'heavy'. I currently use version 36.0.1985.143; this is the most responsive one I've so far found for my use-case.

For multiple Puppies, where you are running more than one instance of Chromium, simply repeat steps 4-6 for each installation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This method also works flawlessly for Chrome. In this case, you need to locate /opt/google/chrome/Pepperflash.....the 'libpepflashplayer.so' module and 'manifest.json' will be found here. Use the method as detailed above. And.....

That's it..!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This keeps one more 'attack vector' for the hackers as small as possible, and, from experience, will work just as well on the Slackware-based Pups as it will on the 'buntu-based ones. This cannot be done via Geoffrey's pet for auto-updating Flash:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100523

.....because that only works for 'libflashplayer.so' (the Linux FlashPlayer, used by FireFox and most other browsers), not 'libpepflashplayer.so'.....the Chrome/Chromium version. You cannot 'download' a Pepperflash 'update' from Adobe; it just doesn't work that way! Not for those of us running Linux.

(In Windows, or on a Mac, the same FlashPlayer is used, regardless of which browser you use it with.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will find that going to 'chrome://plugins' in Chromium will not, for some reason, show you the updated flashplayer. Instead, go to Adobe's own 'checker page':-

http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/

....or, for the US site,

http://adobe.com/software/flash/about/

...and this will show which version you are using, along with a list of what all the current versions are. However, if you wish to have the current, correct version of PepperFlash showing on the 'chrome://plugins' page in Chromium, use OverDrive's method, as outlined below.

For Slimjet (if needed), all that is required is to open the 'manifest.json' file with your favourite text editor, and amend the 'Version' line (3rd line down) to the appropriate version of PepperFlash. Save, and close. Then re-open your browser, and the current version should be showing in 'chrome://plugins'.

For Chrome, however, this method doesn't work. Haven't figured this one out yet!

Hope this helps some of you..!

Mike. Smile

EDIT: After recent experimentation with OscarTalks' Slimjet .sfs packages, I've discovered that Slimjet seems to have a PepperFlash auto-update mechanism built into it. This, of course, obviates the need to do the above. The outlined method is, however, still perfectly valid, and works without any problems. The only thing about running the older versions of Chrome/Chromium is that when you get so many versions behind the current release, Google will start 'nagging' you to update. That's life, I'm afraid. It'll still work, though..!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 21:22; edited 20 times in total
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2015, 15:02    Post subject:  

You can download just the pepperflash plugin from:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/chromium-pepperflash-plugin/pkg/14.1/

alienbob has already done the "extract from chrome" for you....

the plugin may need to be "relocated" to suite your browser.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2015, 17:44    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
You can download just the pepperflash plugin from:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/chromium-pepperflash-plugin/pkg/14.1/

alienbob has already done the "extract from chrome" for you....

the plugin may need to be "relocated" to suite your browser.

Ah! Thanks for the info, peebee; I've often wondered where you got it from yourself. I know perfectly well that you can't get it through what you'd call the 'normal channels'.....and as I said, my method is essentially how Ubuntu does it for Chromium, though, of course, it does waste a lot of bandwidth.

Having put together the BitMeterOS thread, I'm more aware than most that not everybody can spare data like that.....especially if you have a data 'cap'. Of course, it's much better if somebody else uses their bandwidth to do the work, rather than you using yours..... Wink

I was simply curious, one day several months ago, to see if the most up-to-date PepperFlash would work with an older version of the browser. I figured out the Ubuntu method manually, hashed it all together, and it worked.....perfectly. And I thought I couldn't be the only one who has perhaps considered doing this, so.....I put this thread together.

Like I said, out of all your versions of Chromium, 36.0.1985.143 simply gives me the best blend of reasonable lightness & speed, along with the early versions of the 'sandboxing'.....before it got quite so 'heavy-duty'!

Thanks again for the link. Appreciated.

EDIT: PepperFlash update method above now amended to make use of peebee's info.

Mike. Smile

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 20:11; edited 3 times in total
OverDrive

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 16:42    Post subject:  

Quote:
You will find that going to 'chrome://plugins' in Chromium will not, for some reason, show you the updated flashplayer. Instead, go to Adobe's own 'checker page':-

I found a work around for this if you are starting chrome or chromium from a script like /usr/bin/chromium or /opt/google/chrome/chrome-wrapper or similar.

Here is the "exec" statement from my script where I told chromium the vesion of PepperFlash I am using:

Code:
exec /usr/lib/chromium/chromium --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chromium --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=19.0.0.185 --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 --allow-outdated-plugins  "$@"

Editing the ppapi-flash-version statement to 19.0.0.185 now has chrome://plugins showing the correct version I am currently using.

You will have to edit this statement each time you upgrade your version of PepperFlash.

Oh Well...Hey it's a workaround. Smile

Hope this helps

OverDrive

P.S. Thanks Mike for finding out swapping PepperFlash works.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 17:19    Post subject:  

Hi, OverDrive.

Mm. That's certainly one way of doing it. I can't help wondering if there's a way of automating it, perhaps with a small script in startup which checks the version of PepperFlash in the plugins directory, perhaps? And then passes that information to the 'exec statement' you've shown me.

Have to have a think about that. Anyway, glad somebody's found the info useful..! I'm definitely pleased peebee's given me that link for alienbob's 'Chromium PepperFlash for Slackware' page; 6 and a bit MB is quite a difference to 60 some-odd MB every time it needs doing. I know it's nothing to some people, but even a 20 GB/month 'cap' (which we have) soon disappears.....

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 29 Nov 2015, 05:02; edited 1 time in total
OverDrive

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 17:55    Post subject:  

Yes, That link for alienbob's PepperFlash is going to be helpful to anyone who reads this subject. The only downside is getting it into the right directory. But hey, That's part of the fun not using Micro$oft! I much rather be able to look under the hood of my O/S and get a clear picture.

20/Gb/Mo. Wow that's pretty low. But I bet I could live with that. I don't Netflix at all and YouTube only a little. We get 250Gb/Mo here in the US. But I'm on the super cheap plan and have a low throughput rate(3Mbit/Sec). So I'd be hard pressed to use all of my allotment. I guess that's how they limit us here.

BTW, I just discovered you can store your flash lib files out of the savefile and just absolute symlink them to the proper location. I try to keep my savefile a little slim where I can.

All the best

OverDrive

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 18:25    Post subject:  

Hi, OverDrive.

Just tried your method for updating the 'chrome://plugins' page. That's pretty simple, actually. Although I always use peebee's Chromium SFS packages, you do of course still get a /usr/bin entry for it.

Just open the launcher script with Geany.....and modify the PepperFlash version number in the block of text at the bottom. Nice'n'easy.

I can live with that!

As for sym-links, well..... One of our members, davids45, has really explored this rather unique feature of Puppy to its fullest potential. Have a look here, if you care to take things to the next level...

David's 'experiment' is with the aim of keeping Puppy installations, especially if you run multiple 'Pups' (like he & I both do), as small and lean as possible. It's an interesting read.

I was going to suggest you take a look at the thread I put together about bandwidth monitoring.....the 'BitMeterOS' thread, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99025

...but from the sound of it, you've not really got a need for 'keeping an eye on things', have you? Laughing Oh, how the other half lives...

I don't do an awful lot of data-intensive stuff on-line; mostly forums, some tech articles, and just the odd YouTube vid, now & then. My biggest extravagance is streaming radio; I do a lot of graphic design stuff, and I'm a big believer in 'music while you work'.

Certainly helps me to concentrate, I know that much..!

Mike. Smile

Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov 2015, 02:32    Post subject: Would Pepper flash could be use with palemoon ?  

Would Pepper flash could be used with Palemoon ? Idiot or not ?
OH sorry " Pepperflash is exclusive to Chrome, and is bundled in with it.
Then i still ask the question.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov 2015, 06:24    Post subject:  

@Pelo:-

Je ne comprends pas... You already know the answer to all of this:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=837024#837024

Why ask, mon ami???

Mike. Wink

slavvo67

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov 2015, 12:30    Post subject:  

How can you tell if Pepperflash is installed and working on your browser?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov 2015, 14:02    Post subject:  

Hi, slavvo.

Quite easy. Adobe themselves provide a webpage for this very purpose, as mentioned at the bottom of the first post:-

http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/

(Or if outside the UK, http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ )

I find it helpful, because when changing PepperFlash by my method, you don't automatically get the current version when you go into chrome://plugins.....unless you employ the workaround OverDrive posted above. Which works nicely; but you have to re-do it each time you upgrade. On average, every 6-8 weeks! (*sigh*)

(OscarTalks has suggested that by replacing the 'manifest.json' which accompanies 'libpepflashplayer.so' with the new version of the same, this should be remedied. I have tried this, but.....it doesn't seem to work. At least, not for me.)

So Adobe's 'Flash-checker' page is, I find, better for this purpose, as it tells you if it's installed....and which version. Unfortunately, until Adobe make PepperFlash freely available to Linux, I don't really see a way to do a 'PepperFlash' updater in the same way that Geoffrey has done for the standard Linux Flash ( as used by everything else.) The current agreement for Linux PepperFlash is exclusively with Google, a.k.a. The Chromium Projects. Thus, distro maintainers (and users), are resigned to having to obtain PepperFlash by whatever means they can devise... Rolling Eyes

Hope that helps.

Mike. Wink

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDENDUM: With the rapidly approaching, and oft-forecast demise of Flash probably not that far away, it's debatable as to how much longer we'll all need to keep updating it. As more and more web-sites embrace HTML5 support, and web-designers include the ability for it, Flash will, before too long, be consigned to the wastebin of history. Which will make the web a slightly safer place to be.

It does, of course, require the co-operation of all interested parties to make this happen..... Razz

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 29 Nov 2015, 21:33; edited 7 times in total
darkcity

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2015, 05:15    Post subject:  

Added link to thread to wikka: Twisted Evil

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/chromium

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2015, 06:11    Post subject:  

darkcity wrote:
Added link to thread to wikka: Twisted Evil

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/chromium

Thanks..! Appreciated.

Mike. Smile

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar 2016, 17:35    Post subject:  

***UPDATE***

Evening, all. I've made an interesting discovery during the last few days.

As you're probably aware, the Windows version of Chrome automatically updates PepperFlash, as and when Adobe release a new version. Until very recently, I, like most other folks in the Linux ecosphere, was under the impression that the Linux version of Chrome had been deliberately crippled by Google, to the extent of not implementing the auto-update function at all.

Seems I was wrong.

I'm currently running Chrome 48.0.2564.97, from OscarTalks' Smokey repo; installed about a month ago.

I was having a mosey round the 'hidden' files in /root the other night.....two days after the most recent upgrade of PepperFlash, while I was waiting for 'AlienBob' to release the Slackware version of PepperFlash (which, as already stated, works well with Puppy's Chrome/Chromium/SlimJet derivatives.)

This Chrome came with Pepper 20.0.0.306. The newest version, according to Adobes's Flash checker site ( http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/ ), is 21.0.0.182. Looking through /root/.config, I had a shufti through the 'google-chrome' folder, just out of curiosity, to see what was in there. There's a folder marked 'Pepperflash', so I opened it up to see what it contained.

There's two items. A text file, marked 'latest-component-updated-flash'.....and another folder, marked '21.0.0.182'. 'Hmm', I thought, 'what's this?' Opened it up, and inside are the two usual suspects; 'libpepflashplayer.so', and 'manifest.json'.....along with a third item, 'manifest.fingerprint' (?) So, just for the hell of it, I did the usual swap with 'libpepflashplayer.so' in /opt/google/chrome/Pepperflash. Restarted the browser, and had a look on Adobe's checker site; sure enough, I now had 21.0.0.182 ! Played a video on YouTube (one of the rare occasions I ever bother with YouTube!), and the right-click menu showed 'About Adobe Flashplayer 21.0.0.182....'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would appear that although the Linux version of Chrome doesn't put the new Pepper in /opt/google/chrome/Pepperflash, it does, however, still download it. Accordingly, I've been in touch with Geoffrey, explained the problem to him, and, time permitting, he's going to have a look to see if he can put together a script that will check the installed version against the 'new' version, and if the 'new' version is a higher number than the installed version, will perform the necessary switch. This is obviously the one part of the procedure that Google have 'left-out', so that the auto-update doesn't perform as it ought to.....

Since his excellent 'Flash Updater' works so well, I thought Geoff would have a fairly good idea of how to make this work. My problem is, I don't have the first idea about scripting; if I had, I'd have a go at doing this myself! I'm good at coming up with ideas, it's true.....but as for the 'nuts & bolts'..? I have to leave that to the experts, of which Puppy has a good sprinkling. This should be quite a bit simpler than the Linux flash updater, anyway; there's no downloading involved, since Chrome appears to have already done that for us.

For now, however, it's easy enough to perform the normal manual workaround as outlined above. This will work for Chrome; it won't, however, work for Chromium. There is no PepperFlash directory for Chromium in /root/.config; this 'gels' with the general Linux 'scheme' for Chromium, where Pepperflash is not provided, and you have to source it yourself from an alternative location.

Even Ubuntu, as stated, obtain it for Chromium by downloading Chrome, stripping out Pepperflash, then junking the rest of it....an automation of my own manual procedure.

If it is possible to script the 'missing piece', then Puppy will be able to offer FULL Flash support for the foreseeable future. Despite the predictions of HTML5 sweeping the decks with Adobe's crusty old Flashplayer, I have a feeling it's going to be around for quite some time to come yet..! Rolling Eyes

----------------------------------------------------------

Just made another discovery; the link for AlienBob's Slackware Pepperflash appears to be no longer active; I got a '404: Not found...' when I checked a few minutes ago. Never mind. My new discovery should mean we can still get PepperFlash sorted out, one way or another. If it comes down to it, I'll package the 'libpepflashplayer.so' module myself & make it available to any one who's interested on my MediaFire account.

Watch this space.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 18 Apr 2016, 09:22; edited 5 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar 2016, 20:36    Post subject:  

I've now put together a folder with the current 'libpepflashplayer.so' module, the .manifest.json' file, and install instructions as a text file. This folder is available from my MediaFire account as a tar.gz package, at the following link:-

I've decided to provide the 64-bit version as well, for anybody who wants it:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ekzjncs6f530c47/CURRENT_PEPPERFLASH_32_MODULE.tar.gz

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8rfs6i5mc5g060e/CURRENT_PEPPERFLASH_64_MODULE.tar.gz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just unzip, and follow the instructions. I'll be keeping this updated from now on. It's more 'hands-on' than just clicking a .pet, but I hope it's useful.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 09 Apr 2016, 08:26; edited 6 times in total
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: