Lenovo Thinkpad: cannot boot from usb-harddisk

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Graf_Koks

Lenovo Thinkpad: cannot boot from usb-harddisk

#1 Post by Graf_Koks »

Hi there,

I think similar questions are asked all the time, so, if there is already a solution, I would be happy if you post the link. Using google, I was not successful.

As I mentioned in the subject, I cannot boot from an usb-harddisk with precise-puppy installed. However, on an older laptop, booting works. Interestingly, trying to boot on this machine firstly also results in the "missing operation system" message but after Ctrl+Alt+Del it boots correctly.

Any suggestions how I can get the lenove machine to work together with puppy???

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Graf Koks

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

My T43P does.
I have two un-powered USB drives and both do.
You do need to be aware that modern large drives with GPT format or 64k blocks will not be bootable from USB until the USB standard is changed to support them.
At the moment only up to 32k blocking is USB boot supported.

I discovered this when I bought a new USB drive specifically as an emergency recovery disk and found it won't boot.

I ended up building my own from a large 120Gb iPad drive and a special USB enclosure for it.

You could always boot from a stick and load Puppy from a second USB drive.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Graf_Koks

#3 Post by Graf_Koks »

Burn_IT wrote:My T43P does.
I have two un-powered USB drives and both do.
You do need to be aware that modern large drives with GPT format or 64k blocks will not be bootable from USB until the USB standard is changed to support them.
At the moment only up to 32k blocking is USB boot supported.
So who is in future responsible for that, the laptop manufacturer (bios) or the HD manufacturer?
Burn_IT wrote: I discovered this when I bought a new USB drive specifically as an emergency recovery disk and found it won't boot.

I ended up building my own from a large 120Gb iPad drive and a special USB enclosure for it.

You could always boot from a stick and load Puppy from a second USB drive.
I see. To put the puppy partition on an usb-stick might be an alternative. I will check this and report.

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

It is up to the USB standards committee which is drawn from several industries to set the standard but BIOS writers to implement it.

You could still use the USB drive, but have a USB stick with the boot code that loads the Puppy from the drive.

Graf_Koks

#5 Post by Graf_Koks »

Using an USB-stick worked like a charm ... BUT now I have two problems:

(i) It is not possible to enter pure command line, that is, e.g., shutting down puppy freezes the system. I guess this is a configuration problem of X and the current config comes from the old machine.

(ii) Puppy does not recognize the network interface. Any idea how to solve that? Unbuntu has no problem with it.

Nevertheless, thanks for your answers!

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

Neither of those have anything to do with the fact you booted from USB except perhaps for the version of Puppy on the stick

Graf_Koks

#7 Post by Graf_Koks »

With respect to the ethernet interface:

What I figured out so far is, that I have to load kernel module

e1000e

since this is the module used by Ubuntu. This module exists in precise puppy and I added it to the list of modules loaded during boot.

lsmod

also gives a similar output as in Ubuntu for this module. But if I run

lspci -v

ubuntu returns

Kernel driver in use: e1000e

below the ethernet interface but this is missing in puppy. Any idea what I missed to load/do?