how to use realtek driver supplied with wireless n usb?

cooltechkathy

how to use realtek driver supplied with wireless n usb?

#1 Post by cooltechkathy »

My friend Mike who is now a user of tahrpup 6 due to my efforts has a new wireless usb n adapter he wants to use with tahrpup 6 non pae. It is 300 mbps and 2.4 gh usb 2 IEEE 802.11b/g/n and has channel 13 spread spectru dsss ofdm/cck/15-qam/64 qam. operating system xp dual boot with tahrpup celeron desktop with 895 mb ram and ext 3 8GB partition and the adapter supports linux with driver and wpa supplicant supplied. How do i make the wireless work. do i have to compile the driver and use wpa supplicant or can i use wireless wizards with the driver? Please let me know how to proceed to get wireless adapter to work with tahrpup and he has it working on windows.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Hi Kathy, nice to hear from you again. How did your last question work out? Did you try any of the suggestions that were given?

cooltechkathy

Hi Flash

#3 Post by cooltechkathy »

Yes, idea helped but need to get realtek driver fixed for friend it means money for me and will help test out puppy. Might develop new pup based on tahrpup but with speech recognition and touch screen and with much software compiled need help. Interested. Will be starting as soon as I have uverse from at and t will be able to compile woof and bones. Thanks for everything need help with the wifi. Have ideas but will try some once i study the problem. Thanks for the hi.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Need make and model of adapter.

For wireless connection
(This guide is a little old, but it gives you general steps)
Illustrated Guide to setting up a wireless network connection.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65346
Follow this guide.
If you get to a step that does not work.
What step?
What do you see?

We need specific details of what happens.
You are our eyes, we only know what you tell us.

Also, you need to go back to that other topic, of yours, and tell the people, who helped you, what happened.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

"
Hi Kathy, nice to hear from you again.
How did your last question work out?
Did you try any of the suggestions that were given? "

"""""""""""

I thought Flash was asking about this matter.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 534#863534

In my usual diplomatic way I said amongst other observations....

" Avoid until this creature replies back properly. "

Getting it mate????????????????/......Chris.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

cooltechkathy wrote:I do not know yet how to get the sprint modem working.
It certainly appears that your Sprint Aircard modem MIGHT work with the sierra driver already contained in Puppy, but details are hard to find on the web. 2 good links are -
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... 7.40%29%3F
http://mycusthelp.net/SIERRAWIRELESS/_c ... nID=&aid=5
but you will see that your model is not listed. So I can't help with this device.

cooltechkathy wrote:need to get realtek driver fixed
linux has a driver that is on the disk and it looks like i might have to compile tahrpup kernel to add the driver
Yes, that will be source code for one of the vendor-supplied Realtek wifi drivers.
Other forum members have already compiled some of these drivers ... but we can only guess which particular driver is needed until we know the USB device ID of your wifi adapter. So we need you to plug the USB wifi adapter into a computer which is running Puppy, then open a terminal and run this command -

Code: Select all

lsusb
From the list of USB devices, you should be able to see the wifi adapter, then just tell us the vendor/product number, which will be in the format xxxx : xxxx.
From this we will know exactly which Realtek driver is required ... and I can probably point to a driver that has already been posted on the forum.

cooltechkathy

realtek driver usb wireless n usb

#7 Post by cooltechkathy »

Buss001 devive 007: ID 1199: 9053 Sierra Wireless Inc
Bus001 devie 001: ID ld6b: 0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus003 device 003: ID 058f: 9360 Alcor Micoro Corp 8 in 1 Media Card Reader
Bus 003 device 002: ID 15d9: 0afc International BV, USB + PS/2 Optical mouse
Bus 003 device 003: ID id6b:001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 device 002: ID 1a2c: 0021 China Resource Semico Co, LTD keyboard
Bus 002 device 001: ID 1dd6b:001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus001 device 00: 1D0bda: 8178 Realtek SemiConductor RTL 8192 CU 802.11n WLAN adapter

This is what showed up when lsusb is run from urxvt terminal emulator.

Thanks for help tempestuous and others.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

cooltechkathy wrote:0bda:8178 Realtek SemiConductor RTL 8192 CU 802.11n WLAN adapter.
OK, you need the 8192cu vendor-supplied Realtek wifi driver, which forum member rcrsn51 compiled and posted here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100675

Of the 8 versions rcrsn51 posted, the Tahrpup version is strictly compatible with the "PAE" version of Tahrpup 6.0.2.
If you insist on using the "noPAE" version of Tahrpup 6.0.2, then you will need to compile this driver yourself.

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

cooltechkathy wrote:1199:9053 Sierra Wireless Inc.
Interestingly, that USB device ID is supported in modern Puppies by the qcserial driver (not the sierra driver as I had assumed) but I see there are several different definitions of this device ID specified by the qcserial driver, so it's still unclear whether your Sprint Aircard is supported.

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

I did some more Googling about the AirCard 771S, and I saw some Linux developers commenting about errors with the device's onboard firmware, so I think you should upgrade the AirCard's firmware to the latest version available from Netgear -
http://support.netgear.com/product/AirC ... 8Sprint$29
Download "Sprint AC771S Firmware Upgrade (Windows)"
and run the .exe under Windows.