I can't get wifi to work in Tahr

SleepingYeti

I can't get wifi to work in Tahr

#1 Post by SleepingYeti »

I am using Tahr, and my Realtek RTL8723AE PCI wireless adapter shows up in lspci.

Barry's SNS and Frisbee both assert the non-existence of wifi extensions.

lsmod says something about "rtlwifi" and "rtlpci", so I can't identify the problem.

Thanks in advance.

[edit: trying to load the rtl8723ae module in Dougal's Network Wizard results in "modprode: error: could not insert rtl8723ae: unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)"

dmesg says "rtl8723ae: Unknown symbol rtl_btc_get_ops_pointer (err 0)"

slavvo67

#2 Post by slavvo67 »

Try Frisbee again but be very patient with it. It takes longer to read but seems to pick up some things that Barry's does not (sometimes).

You may need the proper driver installed for your wifi card but I would try Frisbee again, first.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Which version of Tahrpup?

Follow this guide for using Network Wizard.
If a step does not work.
What step?
You see what?

Quote:peterw

Network Wizard wireless connection steps.

1. Select Network Wizard
2. Select wlan0 (your network card may have a different description)
3. Select Wireless in the Configure wireless network box.
4. Select Scan and your ESSID should come up. If you want more information on it you can hover your pointer over it and it will tell you; channel number, signal strength, MAC
5. Select your ESSID and OK
6. Give a name to your profile
7. Most people use WPA/TKIP - select it.
8. A box will open for you to write the WPA password. It is called a Shared Key. Enter the password.
9. Leave the other boxes as they are. Rarely do these need adjustment.
9. Select Save
10. Select Use This Profile
11. A box will appear showing Puppy trying to connect
12. A box will come up “REPORT ON TEST 0f wlan0CONNECTION
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

" Realtek RTL8723AE PCI wireless adapter "

Laptop...desktop...and or is this a usb adapter???
HP..,Asus...Acer....

Although I suspect >> ThinkPad or Toshiba Satellite...so model numbers needed.
no name generic...what motherboard???

" Which version of Tahrpup? "...bigpup.

Exactly.
We are all here to help and we love people trying Puppy.

bigpup and others are awaiting your reply.

Chris.

SleepingYeti

#5 Post by SleepingYeti »

I think my tahrpup version is 6.0.3.

My laptop was put together by an obscure company called "Zoostorm", whom I suspect just assemble hardware from other manufacturers, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I am not sure how to find out what motherboard I have. I can tell that I am going to be your new favourite person ever.

The adapter shows up in lspci and not in lsusb, so I am pretty sure it is not a USB adapter. I also have nothing plugged into usb ports.

@bigpup Thanks for your step-by-step Network Wizard guide. The point at which it goes wrong is step 2, since I cannot select "wlan0". It does not show up. Only "eth0" is present.

For the time being, I have switched to Precise Puppy, in which I do not have this problem, but it would be nice to get Tahrpup working eventually.

Thanks.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, SleepingYeti.

One way to find out a wee bit more about your hardware in Tahrpup is to go into the main Menu, then 'System' > PupSysInfo. Most people recommend HardInfo, but I find that PupSysInfo gives more detailed information.

By selecting along the tabs at the top, you can find info for pretty much every aspect of your machine.

I suspect in your case, we'll have to locate the correct driver for your machine, then do the 'modprobe' thing to load it, but.....one thing at a time.

The more information you can let us have, the more help we will (hopefully!) be able to give. Remember, we're not there 'looking over your shoulder', as it were; we need you to be our eyes for us!

Mike. :wink: