Slacko 6.3.0 (32 bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Max Headroom

#226 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day All, I'm on a Mission 2 Find the Latest Stable 32 bit No PAE LTS Puppy Slacko or Otherwise, I'm Presently Running Slacko 6.1.3.1 on a 1.6 GHz Centrino, I Can't Find the 6.3.0 iso Broken Link!

:)K

John Alien

#227 Post by John Alien »

Max Headroom wrote:G'day All, I'm on a Mission 2 Find the Latest Stable 32 bit No PAE LTS Puppy Slacko or Otherwise, I'm Presently Running Slacko 6.1.3.1 on a 1.6 GHz Centrino, I Can't Find the 6.3.0 iso Broken Link!

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 2-uefi.iso

From http://slacko.eezy.xyz/download.php

Max Headroom

#228 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx John, But I didn't notice previously that this is 4 UEFi PCs when in Fact I'm intending 2 install on an Older BIOS PC, Unless of course the iso install Disk is Backward Compatible?

bigpup

#229 Post by bigpup »

It should work with any Bios.
Being identified with UEFI, only indicates it has the added stuff, that a UEFI bios may need.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Max Headroom

#230 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx BigPup!

sonox

pxe booting

#231 Post by sonox »

Hi folks,

I'm currently booting Lupu 5.2.5 in our school setup using a pxe server. I simply followed forum available manuals to create the bootable image. Works like a charm!

I wish to switch to a higher version, e.g. Slacko 6.3.0. The included firefox browser appears to be more stable.

The manuals I found in the forum to create a bootable Puppy don't work anymore.

How can I make Slacko net bootable?

Can anybody help me here?

Kind regards,
Roman

mikeslr

Re: pxe booting

#232 Post by mikeslr »

sonox wrote:Hi folks,

I'm currently booting Lupu 5.2.5 in our school setup using a pxe server. I simply followed forum available manuals to create the bootable image. Works like a charm!

I wish to switch to a higher version, e.g. Slacko 6.3.0. The included firefox browser appears to be more stable.

Kind regards,
Roman
Perhaps someone else can help with your request. I don't know how. As a fall-back, perhaps consider using watchdog's special version of firefox-45.9.0esr with your Lupu 5.25. It's discussed and available from this posts: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 015#941015

Watchdog has also made available Seamonkey 2.46, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 682#939682 and palemoon 27.4, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 621#960621,

All of the above include the glibc libraries that enable these current versions of web-browsers to run under older Puppies which lacked those libraries. See the above posts for instructions.

mikesLr

sonox

#233 Post by sonox »

Thanks for your quick reply and sorry for making myself not clear enough.

True, the newest browser versions cannot be found in the official lupu repository but we don't need that. The repository is more than 10gb big with many browsers and different versions available. We are ok in this regard.

The issue at hand is that lupu is getting old and to get support becomes more difficult. I guess, the lupu community becomes fewer by the day.

I'm rather impressed with slacko and it works well when booting from cd. Booting from network however is necessary in our setup. I simply couldn't figure out, how I can make this happen.

Officially, netbooting works. According to http://slacko.eezy.xyz it boots from LAN. Unfortunately I'm stuck here due to lack of support.

Kind regards,
Roman

Pelo

Everybody can help for Lucid..

#234 Post by Pelo »

"The issue at hand is that lupu is getting old and to get support becomes more difficult. I guess, the lupu community becomes fewer by the day."

Perhaps the Puppy Lucid community remains the best, as it is LTS. I mean improving versions but not always starting again from Zero. Lot of pets, lot of mailing,
Lucid has been used in schools; by children (7 to 77 years old), at least in France, hungary and Chile. Of course local forum generally translate for users English how-to's.
if people help devs developping newer, they can help for older... if they want.. If they care.
Be advised that lot of puppies will not have support, Slacko 6.3.0 and 6.3.2 had topic bugs , i ignore if they are still active, and if some help will be given there. For France, our technical expert helps on any version of Puppy. he will answer for Lucid. ASRI edu was the main contact, but schools emigrate to Debian Primtux, and ASRI edu too . But ASRI EDU forum still contains information.
You will get answers in Spanish forum here and ... Facebook, if you speak Spanish.

Galbi

Re: pxe booting

#235 Post by Galbi »

sonox wrote:Hi folks,

Kind regards,
Roman
If you need a more modern distro PXE booting capable, you can try Slax
https://www.slax.org/
As it uses KDE desktop env, it may be a bit heavy for old machines, but I can confirm that works fine as a PXE server and/or client.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Pelo

Keep on using these Puppies, and post in the topics.

#236 Post by Pelo »

Galbi ! Slax is not a Puppy. I understand passengers of Lupu series. PolarpupQT is a LUPU too, done by a 'Cordon Bleu' Pemasu. Like world records , some puppies won't be replaced by Fast-food ones built in USA production lines; As soon born, as soon denied.
Keep on using these Puppies, and post in the topics. Keep them alive ! be deaf to devs asking to test their versions. Use Lucid mature OS if you are 'used to it' You are users, using a computer. not mice for learner's experience
About Slax, Slax is pretty, no doubt about that. But Slax will hardly provide so much as a Puppy :twisted: Whole energy in Slax is consumed by the dress, the dress to be pretty. Slacko 6.3.0 is a good choice, i was just speaking of assistance topic (or support) which is missing, We have it for France, but it is a french spoken one , as an evidence.
Branch abroad helps translating, but not only.
Puppyluvr will help any speaking English user, whatever the Puppy.. ask him for Help. . Spanish, ask Nilson Morales (or Galbi ???)

Galbi

Re: Keep on using these Puppies, and post in the topics.

#237 Post by Galbi »

Pelo wrote:Galbi ! Slax is not a Puppy. I understand passengers of Lupu series. PolarpupQT is a LUPU too, done by a 'Cordon Bleu' Pemasu. Like world records , some puppies won't be replaced by Fast-food ones built in USA production lines; As soon born, as soon denied.
Keep on using these Puppies, and post in the topics. Keep them alive ! be deaf to devs asking to test their versions. Use Lucid mature OS if you are 'used to it' You are users, using a computer. not mice for learner's experience
About Slax, Slax is pretty, no doubt about that. But Slax will hardly provide so much as a Puppy :twisted: Whole energy in Slax is consumed by the dress, the dress to be pretty. Slacko 6.3.0 is a good choice, i was just speaking of assistance topic (or support) which is missing, We have it for France, but it is a french spoken one , as an evidence.
Branch abroad helps translating, but not only.
Puppyluvr will help any speaking English user, whatever the Puppy.. ask him for Help. . Spanish, ask Nilson Morales (or Galbi ???)
Bonjour Hair... sorry, I mean Pelo. :D (Pelo is the spanish for hair.)

I agree in everything with you in this.

I do prefer Puppy. I just wanted to give an option in case of urgency.

Unfortunatelly, I don't have the knowledge (and the time) to make a PXE bootable Puppy.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

amn87

Screen tearing during video playback & scrolling in Firefox

#238 Post by amn87 »

Hi. I am currently running Slacko Puppy 6.3.2 off of a USB drive with a 1.25GB savefile. HP Pavilion dv5 notebook with Intel Core 2 Duo@2GHz,3GB RAM and Nvidia 9600M GT. I am facing big issues during video playback w.r.t. screen tearing and video randomly pausing every few seconds and audio and video get out of sync. This happens with VLC and the in-built MPlayer as well. Switched to the proprietary Nvidia drivers but to no avail. Tried the various video renderers as well. In Windows the same videos play without a hitch so its not the hardware at fault here. In HD and SD videos both. In Nvidia settings I have experimented with Vblank Sync on/off. Just recently I noticed screen tearing while scrolling down in FF 52 as well. What could be the issue here? Thanks.
Edit: The "Force Pipeline Composition Fix" resolved this vexing issue.

Rodney Byne

Palemoon

#239 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi to anyone wanting to keep using Slacko 6.3.0, but knowing
that Firefox browser is now fixed at an elderly 35.9ESR,
it's a good idea to download a self-updating browser with
newer features, so I decided instead to use Palemoon.

The Package Manager version of PM is too old to use,
so best to uninstall that one after trying and
download pminstall.sh script first, because the script
can only relate to downloading modern versions.

So I'm now using this up-to-date Palemoon version 27.7.2
and Slacko is totally happy to carry on working
into old age same as me!

Best regards.

bigpup

#240 Post by bigpup »

Palemoon is a very good browser and seems to work just as good as Firefox.
It is developed by people that did work on Firefox, but did not like the way Firefox was developing.
So they made their own version of a browser.

In Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Go to configure
Update database
After updating the database do a search for firefox.
Should get a newer version offered.
Download and install.
That should update Firefox.

Just make sure to update the database before doing any searches for Firefox.
Newer versions get added to the repositories, but the only way PPM knows about them is by updating the database.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Rodney Byne

Re Palemoon

#241 Post by Rodney Byne »

Thanks bigpup, yes I should have updated PPM first.
From doing that, FF is now updated from 35.9 ESR to 52.6ESR.
So not needing two browsers, I have removed PM and stowed the
pminstall.sh script in a safe place.
Cheers.

Rodney Byne

FF update

#242 Post by Rodney Byne »

To bigpup, update on FF is now at 52.7.3ESR

ps Slacko 6.3 is still proving its worth doing another useful job
of worldwide radio station URL streaming using VLC media player
driven from home-written text play lists.
The "cleanfeed" line quality sounds superb on stereo hi-Fi system.

Regards.

michel804

SFS file for Libre Office

#243 Post by michel804 »

I could not find any mention of an sfs file for slacko 6.3 32 bit. Please let me know if there is any one on this thread or anywhere else. Thanks
Michel

bigpup

#244 Post by bigpup »

Get LibreOffice
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918
Try using this program to get LibreOffice.

Look in menu>Document
Get LibreOffice may already be in Slacko 6.3
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

Re: SFS file for Libre Office

#245 Post by Mike Walsh »

michel804 wrote:I could not find any mention of an sfs file for slacko 6.3 32 bit. Please let me know if there is any one on this thread or anywhere else. Thanks
Michel
You don't need an SFS package of LibreOffice specifically for 32-bit Slacko 630. Head over to the LibreOffice thread:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85915

...where vicmz has collected together an assortment of packages submitted by other Puppians, that have been generated by the use of the 'GetLibreOffice' script bigpup mentions above. I can pretty much guarantee they'll work with 630; I used to use it myself.

These packages will work with 95% of Pups with no problems. Slacko 630 did have a number of problems, it's true; it was 01Micko's first release of the Slacko '6-series', so was bound to have teething troubles. You should be able to run LO without any trouble, though.

Or, you could try the SoftMaker FreeOffice packages I've put together. The thread for these can be found here.

These definitely work with all current M$ Office formats.

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink: