Slacko 6.3.0 (32 bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#46 Post by gcmartin »

I have noticed in the newer PUPs we have that there is a service running which is at the top of the system queue for processor; namely netmon_wce. Easily seen via htop utility.

Could someone explain what it is doing in constant use of the processor?

unicorn316386

Re: 6.0.8.1

#47 Post by unicorn316386 »

Rodney Byne wrote:Downloaded 6.0.8.1 from ibiblio.
On bootup after splashscreen, invalid or corrupt kernel.
Not a good start!

I will wait until mid November for 6.1,
perhaps the dust will have settled by then.

Regards.
What other puppies work for you? No one else has reported this issue so far I think. Sounds like your download is corrupt? Without specs or how you booted it's hard to know what is happening, not sure how 6.1 could fix your issue except by luck.
gcmartin wrote:I have noticed in the newer PUPs we have that there is a service running which is at the top of the system queue for processor; namely netmon_wce. Easily seen via htop utility.

Could someone explain what it is doing in constant use of the processor?
I think it's the box that keeps track of how much data you're using
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100406

For me it's using about 0.5% CPU (same as "retroval -hide", "jwm", "X :0 -br -nolisten", "htop" on average).

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

netmon_wce is a complete rewrite of the old network_tray with vastly improved efficiency in memory and processor usage and new features added such as wireless icons and wireless signal strength polling.

If anyone has issues with it feel free to report in the linked thread.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#49 Post by 01micko »

[quote="Colonel Panic"]I'm using it now. It has a quirk though which I haven't seen before and feel I should mention; when I tried to set up the Internet I got the message, “Unable to connect to the network

don570

#50 Post by don570 »

I installed Slacko 6.0.8.1 and so far it is working fine.

I installed my right click utility and it is working well except for
a bad right click link to 'Search inside' for pfind

Terry H

JWM Tray 2 Button add error

#51 Post by Terry H »

I am running a frugal install of Slacko 6.0.8.1 32-bit. I added some additional Buttons to the Tray 2 (Top) using the Edit Tray application. The entry I added for galculator didn't launch the app. On investigation, I noticed the entry created for this button is in spanish. All other buttons have been created correctly and function correctly.

I have manually corrected the entry, which is now working.

Apart from this little glitch, all is working really well. Particularly like having a second JWM panel.
Attachments
Screenshot0511.png
(85.22 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

don570

#52 Post by don570 »

Right click utility package for use with precise and slacko

I made a change so pfind 'Search inside'
will work now

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 136#871136

bigpup

#53 Post by bigpup »

01micko,

Something to consider adding to Slacko.

JWMDesk-1.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101460
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#54 Post by 01micko »

New iso is out.

This is RC

See main post

01micko

#55 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:01micko,

Something to consider adding to Slacko.

JWMDesk-1.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101460
Not just yet. Maybe for the repo. It will conflict with jwm_config.

mavrothal

#56 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:New iso is out.

This is RC

See main post
I'm testing some time now. It looks good both in fresh install and updates of older versions. :D
However given the massive changes in jwm and jwm tools, updating 5.9.x is pretty messy when it comes to UI elements.
Updating from 6.0.x is better but I believe to fully appreciate the new UI and UI tools, a fresh install is better.
For the final/RC2 maybe add a special update script to wipe previous jwm, jwm tools and jwm settings so the new UI can also work after an update.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#57 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm.. what about a script called from delayedrun that pops a message then pops ptheme? (if updating from less than 6.0). I believe giving the user control of the tidy up may make them happier.. or not! :lol:

I was also thinking to make a very plain theme for ptheme (standard puppypin, no extra tray) and make it default. but if they have done a lot of customisation it ends up a mess anyway.

mavrothal

#58 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:Hmmm.. what about a script called from delayedrun that pops a message then pops ptheme? (if updating from less than 6.0). I believe giving the user control of the tidy up may make them happier.. or not! :lol:

I was also thinking to make a very plain theme for ptheme (standard puppypin, no extra tray) and make it default. but if they have done a lot of customisation it ends up a mess anyway.
The problem is that if you leave the old settings in and then at some point run pdesktop, you get a mess.
If you want to go that way then you'll need a pdesktop_first_run script that will first pop a warning, and on user aproval will delete all the old stuff and then run.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#59 Post by peebee »

6.1.0.1 - getflash crashes - unable to find a settings file
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#60 Post by 01micko »

Peter.. can you raise an issue on github and tag @ASRIedu please?

Cheers.

mavrothal

#61 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:6.1.0.1 - getflash crashes - unable to find a settings file
The problem is that its pinstall script does not run when not running from "/", so in woof builds the preferences are not generated.

If you run in terminal

Code: Select all

PREFS="/usr/sbin/getflash-prefs"
echo '## getflash user preferences' >> $PREFS
echo '## AUTOUPDATECHECK: true = check for updates at startup | false = do not check for updates at startup' >> $PREFS
echo 'AUTOUPDATECHECK="true"' >> $PREFS
echo '## AUTOUPDATESILENTINSTALL: true = silent install | false = verbose install (user need to confirm installation of the plugin)' >> $PREFS
echo 'AUTOUPDATESILENTINSTALL="false"' >> $PREFS
echo '## AUTOUPDATESTARTUPDELAY: delay (in seconds) before startup (/root/Startup/getflash_auto) = to wait internet connection' >> $PREFS
echo 'AUTOUPDATESTARTUPDELAY="100"' >> $PREFS
(what pinstall would have done) you are fine

Terry H

#62 Post by Terry H »

Fresh frugal install, Only one issue, jwm_config not working, generates error as shown in screenshot. After installing 'patch_jwm_config-0.3.pet, jwm_config is working correctly.

An additional issue is that on Slacko- 6.1.0.1 (& also 6.0.8.1) . updated kernel to 4.1.11. no wifi was identified and also firewall will not run. When using 6.0.7.4 with kernel 4.1.11, wifi and firewall functioned correctly. I successfully rolled back to original kernel.
Edit: the wifi is intel4965
Attachments
Screenshot-071115.png
(12.7 KiB) Downloaded 841 times

James C

#63 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install. Performed the fix for GetFlash,installed a few packages.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 6.1.0.1

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# inxi -Fff
System:    Host: puppypc4735 Kernel: 3.14.55 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2 Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.1.0.1
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx serial: 150545593600028
           Bios: American Megatrends version: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2000.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 3500.00 MHz 5: 1400.00 MHz 6: 1400.00 MHz
           CPU Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm aes aperfmperf apic arat avx bmi1 clflush cmov cmp_legacy 
           constant_tsc cpb cr8_legacy cx16 cx8 de decodeassists extapic extd_apicid f16c flushbyasid 
           fma fma4 fpu fxsr fxsr_opt ht hw_pstate ibs lahf_lm lbrv lm lwp mca mce misalignsse mmx 
           mmxext monitor msr mtrr nodeid_msr nonstop_tsc npt nrip_save nx osvw pae pat pausefilter 
           pclmulqdq pdpe1gb perfctr_core perfctr_nb pfthreshold pge pni popcnt pse pse36 rdtscp 
           sep skinit sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm svm_lock syscall tbm tce topoext tsc 
           tsc_scale vmcb_clean vme vmmcall wdt xop xsave 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] 
           X.org: 1.14.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices ] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.14.55
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1c:87:2c:5a:bb:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 122 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 214.0/2953.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17 
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(34.57 KiB) Downloaded 859 times

mavrothal

#64 Post by mavrothal »

Terry H wrote:Fresh frugal install, Only one issue, jwm_config not working, generates error as shown in screenshot. After installing 'patch_jwm_config-0.3.pet, jwm_config is working correctly.
No need to install any pet. Just turn autohide off, apply, and then on again.
It would appear that some initial default is missing up to get the physical and autohide position of the tray correctly.

BTW Mick, no delta for the 32bit? :?

davec60

pupdial/pppd/wvdial not working??

#65 Post by davec60 »

Hi,
New frugal install of Slacko 6.1.0.1.
I normally access the internet via a 3g USB modem.
This facility is not working in the latest Slacko 6.1.0.1 (My previous Slacko - 5.7.0.- works fine).
I notice that Slacko 5.7.0. has a "wvdial" file and a "wvdial-pipe" file in /etc/ppp whereas these are missing from Slacko 6.1.0.1 - I wonder whether this has anything to do with the failure to connect?
Otherwise, can anyone suggest which files I can copy over from 5.7.0 to 6.1.0.1 in order to get the USB modem-based internet connection going again?
Thanks