Puppy Python

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
edmont

Puppy Python

#1 Post by edmont »

I know that most puppy linux distributions have python available in one form or another and that there are GUI Designers like WxGlade , WxFormbuilder , Boa-Constructor ; however there's no quick way of making these features available.

A perpetually updated sfs file or pet might be useful in this respect.

However , considering the incompatibility between versions of [ puppy] linux
a pretested distribution , with all of the requisite features might be a better approach.

Documentation , extensive examples , useful links , python2 and python3
configurations.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello Edmont.

I'm no Python expert, but this sounds like quite a good idea.

If only to try out the excellent SunFlower file manager or to beef up your ROX!

Someone a couple of years back did exactly that, a Python-focused Pup, for
teaching purposes. I can't find it in the forum at the moment, but I know it's
there somewhere. I wonder what happened to it.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

I am running PYTHON 3.4.3 in Tahr 6.0.6 with IDLE 3.4.3 and as usual Glade as well. It wouldn't be too hard to re-master a fresh tahr 6.0.6 with all the Python stuff included. I have most of the bells and whistles included.
So it is definitely possible to create a complete Python programming environment.

6502coder

#4 Post by 6502coder »

I disagree with the OP's premise:
there's no quick way of making these features available
Once you have a standard Python installed, adding 3rd-party bells and whistles is no harder in Puppy than it is on any other Linux (or for that matter Windows) setup. Puppy makes things harder with its half-assed, incomplete support for Python, but if you start with a standard commercial-grade Python package such as the free ones from ActiveState, you will have no problem adding on 3rd-party packages.

Moreover I'm philosophically opposed to the basic idea. The OP seems to want a bunch of bells and whistles preinstalled. Bundling a ton of stuff on the off chance that someone someday might be interested is not the Puppy way. The idea that someone would go to the trouble of not only assembling but "perpetually updating" such a sampler is all well and good, but wholly unrealistic.

The suggestion that both Python2 and Python3 be included is particularly hard to take. Anyone who knows Python knows that the changes in the language from version 2 to version 3 are very significant. You have to understand how and why you are using Python and make an either/or choice between version 2 or version 3. A veteran Python programmer might be able to manage hopping back and forth between 2 and 3, but for a novice the idea is absurd. A novice needs to pick one version and stick with it, at which point the presence of the other version prebundled is just bloat and a source of confusion.

nbah07

more on this topic

#5 Post by nbah07 »

6502coder wrote:I disagree with the OP's premise:
Bundling full features available Python preinstalled .... adding 3rd-party packages
The suggestion that both Python2 and Python3 be included is particularly hard to take. You have to understand how and why you are using Python and make an either/or choice between version 2 or version 3 .... at which point the presence of the other version prebundled is just bloat and a source of confusion.
james-cuk FD64pub wrote:python 3.6 readiness
murga topic t=109036
Is there python3 preinstalled puppies whereabouts? I have tried two remasters, anyway, soon my regular usage is requiring python3. Since it's an 2008 notebook, I concluded unawares the better approach to step back and boot another build a chance. By the readings, I expected and used the low version kernels by their lean work. These should be overall guidelines to one might willing to voice in a consideration or instruction.

ally

#6 Post by ally »

nbah07

now we are getting somewhere

#7 Post by nbah07 »

shouldn't be smart for daily use, grab a 5+ yo unmaintained whatever OS, right?
I forgot to mention the kernel sources pkg, for virtual machine, besides python3.
Continuing with the help us DIO(urselves) tutorial, After thinking more about the system to boot up on this notebook, to reach a realistic point properly, driven away from my vagaries of a neither practical or highly techincal ground.
What about start ISO with no python at all?