Firefox lags while page scrolling?! Here's a solution.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
solo

Firefox lags while page scrolling?! Here's a solution.

#1 Post by solo »

There's a feature in Firefox called smooth scrolling which uses some kind of decellaration feature which probably works fine on new hardware, but on older computers, like mine, it makes the scrolling experience very slow, uneven and annoying.

So for those whose scrolling experience is not 'smooth', here's how to turn it off:

1. Type about:config in the search bar of Firefox.

2. Click on the yes I'm gonna be careful and I know what I'm doing thingy.

3. Type smooth in the search bar on the page.

4. You'll see an entry called general.Smoothscroll with a value called true. Right-click your mouse while standing on the true value, and then switch it to false.

5. Close the about:config page.

There! Hopefully, your problem is now solved.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I use smooth scrolling because the scroll ring of my Kensington Orbit trackball jumps about 3 lines at a time. I've never figured out how to make it do just one line at a time, in Puppy. It's very hard for my eye to follow what's going on unless smooth scrolling slows down the jumps.

solo

#3 Post by solo »

If you are using a usb wireless receiver on it, try unplugging it and then plugging it in again while you are in Puppy.

It seems there's this weirdness going on where some scrollwheels and trackballs speed gets jumbled after you have booted into Windows.

Look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1060002

unicorn316386

#4 Post by unicorn316386 »

I always turn off Smooth Scrolling as well, it seems to hog more CPU and makes my fan come on quick and blow more heat. PgUp and PgDn (with Smooth Scrolling off) seems to behave the best for me for both accuracy and power usage.

tallboy

#5 Post by tallboy »

Ditto!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

This could be a related post:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100636

I will try your workaround in wary and the latest firefox.

EDIT: in my opinion the palemoon choice is a better solution for my problem in old puppies.

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

Some improvements with firefox 42.0 and wary I obtained by using the following extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/a ... g/?src=api

I used low preferences levels for scrolling in wary and I choosed in options the version 1 of the scrolling algorithm.
You can consider to disable vsync (three entries) and smooth scrolling in about:config as reported by solo for the best result.