get_java-1.1 - April 30, 2018

Core libraries and systems
vtpup

#31 Post by vtpup »

Another problem:

I tried manually downloading the JRE tarball from Oracle and installing w/ get-java 1.1. I chose the sfs option. It created an sfs, but it never worked.

I did try the immediate-use option, and also made sure it was selected for boot loading in Boot Manager. When it failed, I tried several times again by rebooting, but Java Control Panel never saw it as present.

Then I tried creating JRE as a .pet and loading with the Puppy package manager. This time it worked and Java Control Panel did see it. However several other of my programs stopped working.

I realized that the problem was that the Java Installer was installing to /opt/.

Because I run and test several puppies, I had long ago moved the opt folder to /mnt/home, and then I always link back to /. Apparently the Java Control Panel doesn't like this and overwrites the link with a new /opt/ folder, and installs JRE in that. Thus JRE works but my other apps in /mnt/home/opt don't.

However, I was able to move the /opt/ JRE contents over to /mnt/home/opt/, and then delete the /opt/ folder and make a new link back. And everything worked after that.

I suspect something similar happened when the sfs version failed to install in /mnt/home/opt/
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]