Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Sep 2019, 04:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 19 [279 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
01micko

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016, 03:31    Post subject:  

nubc

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

That might help. My original get_flash had a link to it in the GUI but I don't maintain it any more.

Unless you visit a lot of so called 'news' sites you might be able to get away without flash at all.

-----------------------------------

Baldronicus.. long time no see Smile

That is certainly a strange issue. Maybe one of the mount options for vfat is wrong in the mount script. I'll take a look, but it seems strange that it's fixed after an X restart or in another theme.

Sage

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016, 04:32    Post subject:  

Quote:
might be able to get away without flash at all

..sadly still not possible for Brits using BBC iPlayer (most). We live in hope, but management inside Auntie is as bad as ever...
Baldronicus

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016, 15:49    Post subject:
Subject description: Thankyou

Hi 01Micko,

Thanks for looking into it.

Yes, you can tell I don't post much, eh? I sometimes visit "on the quiet".

Thanks again.
Baldronicus

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016, 16:47    Post subject: Update re filesystem identification problem
Subject description: Slacko64-6.3.0

Hi again 01Micko,

As usual, never rely on The Baldric!

I thought I should have another look. I have only checked with Slacko64 at this stage.

It now appears that the problem might relate to the order in which the respective USB sticks are used, rather than the theme (even one as unknowledgable as I thought it odd that a theme would change this kind of thing).

It now appears that if a USB key with Fat16 filesystem is inserted first after the system is started, then it is identified as msdos. Subsequent USB keys used, regardless of whether they are Fat16 or Fat32, also appear to be identified as msdos.

If a Fat 32 based USB key is inserted first after system start then it is identified as vfat. Fat16 and Fat32 keys subsequently inserted also appear to be identified as vfat.

I think I was getting the theme side of it mixed up as I wasn't realising that I was switching USB key order.

Please accept my apologies for the incorrect description in the initial post.

I guess, in one way, this problem description makes more sense,

Again, thankyou and apologies.
Baldronicus

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016, 17:08    Post subject: Update re filesystem identification problem
Subject description: Slacko32-6.3.0

Hi again.

Have made a quick check with Slacko32-6.3.0 and the problem appears to be the same as per Slacko64- not themes, but a matter of the filesystem of the first USB key inserted after startup. Haven't tried restarting X, or anything.

Come to think of it, I also don't know why the Fat16 filesystem would be initially identified as msdos?

Although rushed, hopefully these later attempts at describing the problem are more accurate and helpful than the initial ones.

Again, thanks and apologies.
nubc

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jan 2016, 20:49    Post subject: Default FF does not open to Home Page in Slack 630  

I don't understand Firefox ESR 38.4.0, the way it opens the browser. I am accustomed to clicking on the browser icon or +tab to get Google Search. Instead when FF opens I get a multiple choice [tiles] similar to the bookmarks for an Android browser. Significantly, the default search engine available on the unexpected multiple choice page is not labeled, so you can't tell what search engine it is, until it comes up Yahoo search results. So I guess this is a sneaky way to get users to try Yahoo Search. So even if I change that default search engine to Google Search, I still don't get the basic Google Search page, I get this undesired multiple choice [tiles] page. The home page is set to www.google.com. Firefox is set to start with the home page. Why am I starting with this multiple choice [tiles] page when FF is set to start with the Home page (Google Search)?
Baldronicus

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan 2016, 04:04    Post subject:
Subject description: Default FF does not open to Home Page in Slack 630

Hi nubc.

Please accept my apologies in advance should I be wasting your time- I am very much out of my depth.
I have only tried checking the new Firefox offline as I am not using Slacko 6.3.0 on the net as yet (as usual, I am slow).

Use of the plus sign symbol seems to open a "New Tab" tab or page, which seems to have it's own mode setting options.
In the default case of it being in "Enhanced" mode you should see a link and a cog symbol to the right of the page.
The link gives a pop-up with an explanation of the purposes of the tiled links, including that some of them maybe sponsored by mozilla partners
(they will apparently be identifiable). It also mentions that some analytical information would be collected etc by Mozilla to provide the service associated with the tile links.
If you click on the cog symbol further to the right, three mode options should be available.
Enhanced- which is the default. Classic- which looks the same as Enhanced when offline- I don't know what the difference is.
And then there is Blank- which provides a blank page. There does not seem to be a "Home Page" option.

When offline, the search on the Enhanced mode page seems to go to the "searchSuggestionTable", although I could be mis-interpreting things.
When I tried it offline it went to (or I should say it attempted to go to) the Default Search Engine, Google. It may be that the behaviour changes when the tiles are active in an online environment. Another possibility is that there might have been a glitch, in that Yahoo is the next search engine listed after Google in the "One-click Search Engines" list (please see below).

I would presume that if the Blank mode option was selected then searches in the Location, and Search bars would go to the Default Search Engine unless you selected another. (I would also hope this would disable their analytics stuff, but, I guess, probably not). I know this is not really what you are seeking, but would it be close enough to be usable, and OK?

In the main Firefox Preferences, beneath the "General" entries group that are used to set the "Home page" etc, there is a grouping called "Search". There is provision for setting the "Default Search Engine" etc, and then there is the "One-click Search engines" list.
Maybe un-ticking, or perhaps even removing (there are Remove and Restore buttons at the bottom of the list) the engines that you do not want to use, might help with things (it might also help with identifying if the Yahoo thing was just a glitch, with some link just going to the wrong entry in the list).

Again, I hope I haven't wasted your time waffling on about things you are already aware of (or otherwise not being of much help- I know this is not
a "real answer" to the problem).

Thanks.
unicorn316386

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan 2016, 13:56    Post subject: Re: Default FF does not open to Home Page in Slack 630  

nubc wrote:
I don't understand Firefox ESR 38.4.0, the way it opens the browser. I am accustomed to clicking on the browser icon or +tab to get Google Search. Instead when FF opens I get a multiple choice [tiles] similar to the bookmarks for an Android browser.

Another way to change the +tab back in FF38 is to type "about:config" in the url bar, click "Yes" to the warning, search for "newtab.url", and change it's value to "www.google.com". I have mine set to the puppy page "file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm".

edit: Changing it to "about:home" brings up the search page too (Google for me) and loads faster.
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   20.01 KB
 Viewed   1345 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

sgniner

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 01:14    Post subject:  

new puppyuser, trying to get my head around the way you do things. couple errors ive run into.

1) when trying to do a install to USB flash drive, it get to the point of asking where the ISO file is and then says that it cant write to the USB drive. I have the drive formatted, but as soon as it hits this point all of a sudden the drive has no partition. I open gparted and format the drive in ext2 (or ext4) go through the process and it fails every time. then if I open gparted again it will report that the drive has no partitions at all.
I've tried using bootflash and the f2fs method and both failed.

I did eventually get it installed by just copying the files to my hard disk and editing my grub files.

I installed openbox without a problem. I had no menu's of course so i installed obmenu so I could make them, but obmenu requires python. So that should be listed a dependency. However the problem was when I tried to install python.

2) when trying to install python install with ppm it gets stuck and doesnt comlete. It will open the shell and do its thing but eventually it just stops and then doesnt complete.
The last few lines are:
Code:
+ for ONEFILEin '$FNDFILES'
++ file --brief -
++ grep --extended-regexp 'LSB executable|shared object'

I have tried the python2 and python3 packages and they both fail at the same point.

i launched ppm from its own shell window and the last few lines in that window are:
Code:
/usr/local/petget/installmodes.sh: line424: 1283 killed                      ./isr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash -close never -text "$gettext 'Please wait, calculating total required space for the installation...')"

3) what is the method to open the initrd.gz in slacko? I tried what i used to do in Arch but it didnt work.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 02:44    Post subject:  

sgniner wrote:
2) when trying to install python install with ppm it gets stuck and doesnt comlete. It will open the shell and do its thing but eventually it just stops and then doesnt complete.

You just found a bug!
This is because check_deps.sh (the for loop, to be precise) can not handle spaces in the filenames.
This patch in woof fixes it.
BTW Python is in the devx sfs and probably the reason that no one got this earlier.

sgniner wrote:
3) what is the method to open the initrd.gz in slacko? I tried what i used to do in Arch but it didnt work.

Code:
mkdir some_dir
cd some_dir
gunzip -c /path/to/initrd.gz | cpio -i

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan 2016, 19:40    Post subject:  

ppm in slacko 64 says there's no space left on device. there is in excess of 200 gigs.

having problems with the sda2 partition, so this may not be OS related, but two of five installations displayed crazy swap usage (8gb doing routine install things), and two (one of which may have been a crazy swapper--went through five slackos, a precise, and an april all while breaking my own stuff Laughing , so not sure. it was all very distracting...) used up their 12 gig first run save-space allotment. one of those installations took (on it now), though i lost the dropbox it synced.

a gripe, not a bug:

what's the easiest way to regain the control the new jwm configuration scripts have taken away? other than the mouse two button, i'd like to be able to get rid of them and all their interference with my configuration choices, reverting to an earlier jwm (how to?--ditching jwmconfig trashed an installation--it wouldn't reboot.) if need be. seems like it should be a user choice to override the developers' choices, especially where there's no harm to be found.

Confused

a request, not a gripe:

anyone know of a working megasync package for it? i tried two debs and slackware64 package. i'd try another search of the ppm, but it says it's running, so it's going to exit now, which'd make it just as unavailable (if it's running, it's also well hidden).

any tips for dual monitor support? i got lxrandr to partially work (it will allow you to change the settings, ask if you want to keep them, then ignore your input).

resetting jwm configurations through the gui appears to have broken radky's pup clock set (worked before a switch, then wouldn't even after the switch back).

i recall most slackos and precises as defaulting to a pop up giving you the choice to install when a txz is clicked--is this missing or have i broken something (it worked earlier...but was that in an april or precise...). anyway, i can't get txz packages to install without first unpacking them and then converting them to pet (using don570's newest right click utility, which isn't labeled as 64 bit--the april64 version didn't install correctly).

thanks in advance.

____

played around some more with the jwm configuration gui(s) and found that it undoes many changes for no reason and could use a few additions once things get ironed out: edit labels ("applications," "menu," and "bookmarks" all waste space in my eyes), add your own menu buttons (not just the two), actually allow you to move around the dock, pager, and tasklist (strategy seems to be offer and recommend against a non-option?), pick the starting spot for the trays--some aspects of the new thing are really nice and some don't work well and some don't appear to work at all.

---

on the positive side, this is the first 64 bit pup i've used in which xdotool works correctly (2._ .rpm--slackware and ppm (it was working for me at the time) versions didn't work. need to double check, but i think the redhat version is the one i used (xdotool 2.20110530.1 x86_64 rpm).
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan 2016, 08:23    Post subject:  

Cannot find cookie settings in stock FF ESR 38.4.0. I am actually wanting to add some exceptions for cookies. Should be under Privacy heading in Preferences, but it's not.

How to fix YouTube Comments in FireFox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efmWcfarb3M
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan 2016, 09:51    Post subject:  

Privacy >> History >> Custom Settings.

Wanna mod YouDoob?

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/by-site/youtube.com

http://userscripts-mirror.org/
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan 2016, 13:30    Post subject:  

Should've known. I am trying to get Comments to load for YouTube videos. Although Firefox was set to accept cookies always, I added the 4 exceptions to accept, but Comments still will not load.

I just installed Chrome and YT Comments are showing, so this is a Firefox issue.
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan 2016, 19:29    Post subject:  

Are you running any extensions? Do they show if you start FF in --safe-mode?

==

Nubc, no comment? No worries..

Page 11 of 19 [279 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: