Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 16 Sep 2019, 02:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 12 of 19 [279 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
nubc

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan 2016, 04:44    Post subject:  

Firefox is choking big time. All YouTube videos now give error
Code:
No video with supported format and MIME type found.

In most cases, I recently played the problematic video and it played fine. I guess it's time to start using Chrome.

Mozilla support:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1048378

EDIT: It took about 3 hours, but I got Chrome to do most of what Firefox does. Not real happy with Chrome's UI (2 or 3 clicks to get to Bookmarks), but it's a lot better than Opera!!!!

EDIT 2: Chrome causes my computer to freeze. Or at least, what I was doing in Firefox causes Chrome to freeze, and require a hard reset. I thought the computer was overheating, but it's not. Chrome can't do multi-tasking. I was playing a mp4 video, a movie. When I simultaneously browsed with Chrome, the video froze, inoperably. Only way to recover was to hold the front panel power button down, and go through a couple restarts until Slacko recovered. Why did I ever commit to Google Chrome?

Tom's Guide forum: Chrome Freezing Computer
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2396151/chrome-freezing-computer.html

One person having the problem fixed it by unchecking hardware acceleration in Settings. [This might have fixed it]

One person fixed it by selecting SATA AHCI in BIOS. [default setting in my BIOS]

SOLVED: Unchecking hardware acceleration in Chrome Settings seems to have fixed the freezing problem. Also, there is no noticeable cumulative sluggishness and lag in Chrome, which is a big improvement over Firefox. If Chrome refuses to download/install your favorite add-on or extension, try installing the adaptive extension Chameleon which allows the addition of Opera add-ons.
nubc

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan 2016, 05:14    Post subject:  

I had to restart the computer after a day or so, because Chrome was starting to hang. Rebooting caused Chrome to lose all settings, like bookmarks, extensions, history. And first instance of Chrome after rebooting prompted me to sign in to a Google account. Unless I am mistaken, this means I can't use Chrome without allowing Google to spy on me. Not so?

Obviously, I don't want Chrome to sync anything. I get a check list of 9 items:
Apps, Autofil, Bookmarks, Extensions, History, Passwords, Settings, Themes, Open Tabs. What does Chrome want to sync these to? Is syncing the way that Chrome can restore all the windows and tabs that were running at the time of a reboot?
6502coder

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan 2016, 18:40    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
Is syncing the way that Chrome can restore all the windows and tabs that were running at the time of a reboot?

Typically "syncing" in browser-speak means saving your bookmarks etc to the
cloud, so that if you run Chrome on another computer or other
Internet-connected device, you can have the same settings.
That's the way it is in Firefox and I'm pretty sure that's how Chrome uses the term.
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2016, 12:54    Post subject:  

Please give instructions for disabling the mouseover popup menu widget at the top of the screen.
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2016, 13:05    Post subject:  

I notice you don't reply much these days Nubc. A quick thank you is free & costs very little time..

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102262

Yes, you're welcome.

nubc

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 02:38    Post subject:  

I spent two days troubleshooting Chrome, with no help, and I shared my findings here. You don't think that's a contribution? The question above (about syncing) was asking for a clarification, for which I am appreciative. Had that question involved a procedure, I probably would have thanked the responder, 6502coder. If this were my thread, I would also be more communicative, but this is an important community thread for bug reports and I don't want to clog it with unnecessary posts. The thread is already 12 pages long.

As regards the menu widget, it would be useful to know the exact name of the widget. When dev tacks a piece of bling like that onto the OS, he should provide a easy way to disable it, so that user doesn't have to come here to beg for the fix. Without the (arbitrary) name of the widget, what can you do? Does this query remind you of Puppy 4.2?

As always, thanks for your response, Semme.

SOLVED: I renamed the jwmrc-tray2 file in /root/.jwm/ then created an empty file by the name jwmrc-tray2 to replace it.

Last edited by nubc on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 15:10; edited 2 times in total
RickGT351

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 07:05    Post subject: Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall
Subject description: wizard

Last edited by RickGT351 on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:56; edited 5 times in total
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 08:50    Post subject:  

Sharing is good Nubc, and you do a better job than most when it comes to feedback.

That 6.3 doesn't jive with my ride limits my input.

My link should have addressed that annoying widget thingy.. As far as I can tell it does nothing more than clutter the desktop. Have a quick launch bar or icons, not both. I also agree there should be more documentation for this kind of included "functionality."

Beyond the slew of changes, I imagine you'd be more content continuing with 5.7 than being a beta tester.

nubc

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 14:24    Post subject:  

Q: Chrome wants to download web images in .webp format, which is a Google thing. I prefer standard .jpg or even .png. Slacko's resident Image Viewer does not recognize .webp (compressed) format. Is Chrome capable of acquiring images in .jpg?

A: Once again, Google is doing something brilliantly stupid.
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/15/avoid-saving-images-webp-format-google-chrome/

SOLVED: I'm not saying it's the best solution, but I installed an extension named "Save Image As Type" which is added to the context menu called when user right clicks an image. Download images optionally as .jpg .png or .webp

Last edited by nubc on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 06:36; edited 3 times in total
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 15:35    Post subject:  

Nubc, word on the web says you can rename the webp offering to jpg in the save dialog window. Try it..
nubc

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 18:57    Post subject:  

Nope, Semme, that doesn't work, just doublechecked, format not recognized.

The Chrome extension "Save Image As Type" has had problems in the past (hence the lower 3-star rating), but it was recently fixed, and it works quite well.

Last edited by nubc on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:14; edited 1 time in total
RickGT351

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:07    Post subject:  

It seems that editing a post in this website doesn't work with this new distro Question

Correction; it's not the distro, it's the website. Let's see if this works

This is weird. It seems that it doesn't like pasted text

Last edited by RickGT351 on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:57; edited 2 times in total
RickGT351

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:11    Post subject:  

Last edited by RickGT351 on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 20:02; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:12    Post subject:  

Yeah, OOgle.. Rolling Eyes Our way or the HiWay. Good to see China keeps'em in line..

Rick, we need details..

RickGT351

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:38    Post subject:  

Page 12 of 19 [279 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: