Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
gcmartin

Re: Slacko 6.3 64-bit no wifi detected on Compaq Presario CQ62

#196 Post by gcmartin »

RickGT351 wrote:If you do a pfix=ram boot off the cd, can you get internet? Just wondering
This is a rather curious question. How have you been booting? And which PUPPY are you using? If you are using one of those that this thread's title indicates, you should have known this.

In any event, Normally, all PUPs boot from certain media into RAM. If you have saved a prior session, it will again boot into RAM and bring your prior work along so that you can continue where you left off.

If you DO NOT WANT ANY PRIOR SESSION, at the boot, you hit F2 and boot with the pfix=ram option where your PUP will boot as if it was the first time ever booted. So YES, after you fill in the very first screen that pops to the desktop (and I strongly advise you change the hostname to a name you like), when you hit OK, it will complete your desktop for your locale and will allow INTERNET access as you wish.

If your system seems to grind to a major slowdown when in use, I offer this for you to capture and post to this thread. Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

free
Copy and post the results to this thread for additional help.

One additional command to type and post results that would be helpful is

uname -a
as this would help identify your system.

Hope this is helpful.

moeppyfan

Re: Slacko 6.3 64-bit no wifi detected on Compaq Presario CQ62

#197 Post by moeppyfan »

spintronic wrote:Don't know what happened in Slack 6.3 64-bit but I had wifi working great in slack 5.7.0

Anybody know if something is missing in slacko 6.3?
spintronic: If tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE wifi works but slacko64 6.3.0 doesn't, try this in slacko64 6.3.0:

Download huge-4.4.0-EmSeex86_64.tar.bz2 here: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Kernels Extract it somewhere, then open "console" in Slacko 64-bit 6.3.0 and type change_kernels to replace yours with the ones from 4.4.0, then reboot. If that doesn't work, try the one called huge-3.14.54-tahr_64 and huge-3.18.22-slacko64. I had the same problem in slacko64 only.

nubc

#198 Post by nubc »

When I double click a Pfind search result, I get an error: Failed to fork (cannot allocate memory). What gives?

cc11rr

Anyone get printing to work?

#199 Post by cc11rr »

Hello. Did anyone get printing to work in Slacko64 6.3.0? I tried two printers and none works over USB. I use a Canon laser printer that works in Slacko 5.7. It does not work in Slacko64 6.3.0. I tried both 64 bit and 32 bit drivers. On my Brother printer I can see that data is being sent to the Brother printer but nothing is printed. There is an error message stating file or device does not exist for both printers. Is there a printing problem in Slacko64 6.3.0? Printing is one feature I need to use Slacko64 6.3.0. I like to hear if anyone got printing to work in Slacko64 6.3.0 and the details of how you got printing to work. Thank you.

Semme

#200 Post by Semme »

Details Mate? Read/ask in the appropriate thread >> "How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy"

cc11rr

#201 Post by cc11rr »

Semme wrote:Details Mate? Read/ask in the appropriate thread >> "How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy"
Did you get printing to work under Slacko64 6.3.0?

B.K. Johnson

#202 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@nubc
You're not supposed to double click!
Left-click on the search item of interest, then right-click and choose from about 10 options. Hope what you want to do is there.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

nubc

#203 Post by nubc »

What do you mean, I'm not supposed to doubleclick? I have been doubleclicking to play mp4s and mp3s from Pfind search results for years. And, no, Play with..., is not there. I wish Rename was in that context menu. BTW, I rebooted and the error condition cleared.

This error is part of a larger issue. If I open Rox filer and don't use it for a matter of hours, it seizes, and I have to reboot. Now, I find that Pfind will become inoperable if it is idle for a period of time.

EDIT: In the interest of accuracy, the main reason that Rox Filer becomes apparently inoperable, is that if I rapidly click on an image, and the click is not precise, perhaps there is some movement in the pointer when the click is made, the browser attempts to download the image, and creates an error message that immediately recedes underneath all windows. I probably didn't notice the creation of this error message that instantly disappeared behind all windows, so I was puzzled why Rox Filer doesn't respond. The error message makes Rox inoperable until the error message is closed.

Yep, there is some functionality in the Chrome browser that lets an unusual mouse click cause a download. I have 10 or 20 random .webp downloaded files all over the file system. Happens when I get a little sloppy and click something while the mouse pointer is moving.

It's pretty obvious, if you drag the mouse pointer across an image Chrome downloads it in webp format. So, is there any way to disable this functionality? Theres a setting in Advanced where I selected "Ask where to save each file before downloading", but I don't get a dialog when I drag across an image, and it downloads. The error message I referred to above is actually a notice that the file already exists. I need to disable this functionality.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

thyvon

#204 Post by thyvon »

a little contribution
RickGT351 wrote:Can't connect to the internet after creating a savefile.
If I run a pfix=ram boot off the cd, internet is available, however if I create a savefile, no internet is available after reboot.... read the text
I encountered the same, even with cable connection, and as I disabled the default firewall-setting it worked well, though the default was set again after rebooting it still worked well.
But I have no idea which boxes should be checked when not default nor their necessity/urgency. to protect PUP. Someone ?
Good luck and groeTon
Attachments
info_2016-02-13(2).jpg
(35.59 KiB) Downloaded 1253 times

B.K. Johnson

#205 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@nubc
What do you mean, I'm not supposed to doubleclick? I have been doubleclicking to play mp4s and mp3s from Pfind search results for years. And, no, Play with..., is not there. I wish Rename was in that context menu. BTW, I rebooted and the error condition cleared.
My mistake. :oops:
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

RickGT351

Re: Using slacko-6.3.0 devx.sfs to make a printer driver

#206 Post by RickGT351 »

David, there is a typo in the command you typed. The original from the instructions is

./bootstrap && ./configure --prefix=/usr
and the one you typed was

./bootstrap $$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
Subtle, but enough to make a difference. Good luck
davids45 wrote:G'day,

For the first time running with a devx :shock: , I'm trying to make a 32-bit slacko-6.3.0-compatible driver for my networked EpsonXP200 ink jet printer.

This printer works via CUPS with most earlier Pups but not with slacko-6.3.0 so I assume I need to create a slacko-6.3.0-compatible driver.

I'm using a Frugal slacko-6.3.0 with the devx sfs.

I have tried a few different driver 'source' files for the printer (e.g. recent .rpm, .deb, .tar.gz files from Epson) but even when I expand/decompress the printer file, and navigate to the expanded directory, the "bootstrap" process doesn't seem to run.

The last file I've tried was from a slackware source (dated 2012, epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.2-1lsb3.2.tar.gz) , but this also gave the same short output when I tried the 'bootstrap' step (see screenshot). Trying then a 'Make', terminal said there was nothing to 'make'.

The slacko-6.3.0 mdsum for the devx is right.

I had no problem creating a compatible driver in tahrpup-6.0.5 with its devx and the Epson .deb package, following the 'README' instructions (see screenshots).

So I'm at a loss with what to do next - should the slacko-6.3.0 devx work with any of these driver file types? Is there already a 32-bit slacko driver to suit an Epson printer?

David S.

Update: I'm finding very few slacko Pups are printing with the networked-EpsonXP200 so it's not just slacko-6.3.0 but virtually all slackos. Oddly, my full 5.6 will print but not the frugal 5.6 :? so there is possibly something in the setting up that I need to address as well.
Last edited by RickGT351 on Thu 12 May 2016, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#207 Post by nubc »

You recall that I installed an extension, Save Image As Type, to get Chrome to save images in jpg format, rather than webp. Unfortunately, Chrome allows only one image to be downloaded from a given source page. To download a second image from the source page, I must reboot, and then find the page again. Any idea why nothing happens after the first successful download of an image?

Semme

#208 Post by Semme »

Nubc, that's Chrome or Chromium? Version?

No such behavior aboard Tahr 605/Chrome v48.0.2564.109.

Might be Slacko itself.. We have a sample page/site with images?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#209 Post by nubc »

Google Chrome 46.0.2490.86
What are the important differences between Chrome and Chromium?
What won't Chromium do that Chrome will do? Does Chromium accept most extensions?

The workaround, to avoid rebooting, is to open Firefox for the express purpose of acquiring the images, and FF snags any number of images without a hitch.

Chrome seems to be a bag of bugs.

I'm not sure how Chrome syncs things with Adblock Plus, but often when I block images with ABP, it doesn't take, and the images recur, even when the images are initially blocked.

Semme

#210 Post by Semme »

Chrome, for me aboard Tahr IS heavily bloated.. Much more so than PaleMoon, which I'm not keen on to begin with.

Assuming you wanna persist with 6.3, maybe drop the ABP extension and use Pups built-in Pup-Advert-Blocker or find yourself yet another browser.

I'm currently sampling Midori. You could give this baby a spin.

Other than these, and based on previous feedback particular to YOU, I'd say you're in the market for a new OS.

Seriously, it doesn't @ all sound like 6.3's your ride..

watchdog

#211 Post by watchdog »

Slacko-6.3.0 32 bit. I wanted to test the glibc vulnerability using opendns which cimarron in the thread in Security section reports as not vulnerable. I have used the /etc/resolv.conf.head with opendns nameservers but after dhcp of eth0 the /etc/resolv.conf was messed up by the domain line after opendns nameservers:

# Generated by dhcpcd from eth0
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220domain fastwebnet.it
nameserver 62.101.93.101
nameserver 83.103.25.250
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line
dhcpd is not properly working. Saving the right resolv.conf does not solve the problem because the dhcpcd daemon overwrites resolv.conf.

EDIT: sorry, I have typed Enter at the end of second line in resolv.conf.head and the problem has been solved.

taca0

wifi not works propelly

#212 Post by taca0 »

In both version of Slacko 6.3.0 same error.

Wifi card driver RTL8187

First time connects , but then fails , disconnect from modem and even reset the modem.

I think maybe is related to kernel version because other puppys, tahr or even slacko 5.7 works fine.

Atle

#213 Post by Atle »

Anyone that could say anything about why my USB mobile modem Huawei E353/E3131 comes up just fine in 64 bit and comes up as "Eth 1" and just connects to the internet and works all fine. meanwhile in 32 bits it comes up as "mass storage" and then shows a CD icon on the desktop.

Could it be a old USB modewitch in the 32 bits version of 6.3?

I THINK, but are not all sure that this modem did work in 5.7., but being online with a limited amount of MB to use, i am not so keen on downloading it to figure it out.

I await for some possible answer before i copyu the entire USB modeswith from 64 bits to 32 bits hoping that might help.

Atle

watchdog

#214 Post by watchdog »

Atle wrote: Could it be a old USB modewitch in the 32 bits version of 6.3?
The latest uploaded usb-modeswitch:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 6_s631.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 6_s631.pet

Install both.
#######################################################
# Huawei E353 (3.se)
#
# Contributor: Ulf Eklund

DefaultVendor= 0x12d1
DefaultProduct=0x1f01

TargetVendor= 0x12d1
TargetProduct= 0x14db

MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000a11062000000000000100000000000000"

# Driver is cdc_ether
NoDriverLoading=1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 812#890812

Atle

#215 Post by Atle »

Thanks for the superquick reply... But i did a check on the 64 vs the 32 and the E353 was present in both as in vendor and product.

I unmounted the CD icon and then it came...

But let me retry the entire process before and after installing the pets you added. I need to make a fresh install once again to check if the pets will help as i got it to work, but are not sure how:-)

Atle