Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
zigbert

#31 Post by zigbert »

Major bugs with pMusic on this system. I am looking into it, and will release 4.7.2... I keep on digging...

I have at last got the system fully running (only missing wine). My issue with wrong resolution with my amd-card is a shameful story... After hours of trying, testing, failing, rebooting, searching, reading, more testing, it all ended up with the fact I had copied the grub-text in menu.lst from earlier installs. Removing radeon.modeset=0 made it all beautiful. - OMG, what an idiot :oops: :) :lol:

nubc

#32 Post by nubc »

Maybe it's because I haven't configured video yet (hardware acceleration?), but this frugal install slowed down to a crawl after 20 hours. A reboot helped a lot.

bigpup

#33 Post by bigpup »

From release notes:
There is no AMD/ATI graphics driver built for the 64 bit version
Is there a reason or just have not built one?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

zigbert

#34 Post by zigbert »

pMusic 4.7.2

Changelog
- Packed with xz compression
- Bugfix: Some gui-updates fails in Puppy 6.3.0 (gtkdialog checkbox: file-monitor="true" in combination with milliseconds="true")
- Bugfix: Builtin filebrowser doesn't work in Puppy 6.3.0

Billtoo

Slacko/Slacko64 6.3.0 bug reports.

#35 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 32gb SDHC card, pc is an HP mini.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 18 Nov 2015 on Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.0 Linux 4.1.11 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
oem: Intel(R) HSW Mobile/Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Core 0: @1400 1: @1400 MHz

Added applications with PPM + compiled a couple.

CPU Frequency Scaling Tool wouldn't work properly until
intel_pstate=disable was added to the kernel line in menu.lst, (thanks
norgo).

Working well.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(37.54 KiB) Downloaded 2320 times

zigbert

#36 Post by zigbert »

Not a bug - only a humble suggestion for the Buntoo theme.
Since both the application menu and the app-tray is located at the left, I find it more convenient that the pager is in the neighborhood. - When I click the pager, I often are going to open a new app. In my personal Buntoo variant, I have placed the pager between the places menu and the tasklist.
Not important at all...

Should I include a Buntoo-like places-menu in jwm_config, like the bookmark/main menu?

gcmartin

LAN/WAN issues continue with the 64bit version on an AIO

#37 Post by gcmartin »

@FeodorF has reported some problem that sound similar to one reported by me and never resolved. One suggestion was that it may be related to the kernel and it was thought that it would resolve itself as kernel development proceeded. BUT, it hasn't.

Scenario of a problem that this distro introduces on one of my PCs:
After a minute or 2 of LAN/browser use, the system stops communicating. "ip addr/ifconfig" shows connection, but no activity is exiting/entering the system via the eth0 card.

To regain communication, I must right click the LAN taskbar icon to disconnect, followed by a reconnection.

This will only get another minute/2, though. So, it is not a resolution. Saving the session and restarting does NOT change this behavior.

The uname shows that the kernel is 4.2.5.

Interesting comparison
@PeeBee's latest LxPUP which has 4.2.5 kernel by Emsee, works as all the other PUP distros do on this AIO PC. That is, no LAN/WAN issues at all.

Further, this Slacko-630 32bit version does not have the problem. It works as expected.

ideas that I can employ to provide feedback which may resolve for others who would stumble upon this behavior?

Thanks in advance
P.S. Testing on other PCs of this Slacko64 does NOT exhibit the problem. But, this Intel platform, newer than all the others, has it.

algol68

Slacko64 6.3.0 bug

#38 Post by algol68 »

I am running Slacko64 6.3.0 in a Virtualbox (4.3.26) under Windows Vista on an HP 6930p.

Every time I set the screen resolution to 1024x800 it resets back to 1600x1200 within a minute or so. I am using JWM + Xorg. Restarting JWM does not fix it. I have to select the resolution from the Setup options again & then again... :(

It does this whether running from the LiveCD or when Fully Installed.

It's also a bit strange that one can only access the Universal Installer via the sidebar item "Puppy Package Manager and Universal Installer" & not via the menu system or a desktop icon. That threw me for a few minutes as I searched the menus in vain!

jamesbond

Re: Slacko64 6.3.0 bug

#39 Post by jamesbond »

algol68 wrote:I am running Slacko64 6.3.0 in a Virtualbox (4.3.26) under Windows Vista on an HP 6930p.

Every time I set the screen resolution to 1024x800 it resets back to 1600x1200 within a minute or so. I am using JWM + Xorg. Restarting JWM does not fix it. I have to select the resolution from the Setup options again & then again... :(
I can't replicate the problem. I run the same Slacko64 under VBox 5.0.10 under Fatdog64. I changed the resolution using "xrandr -s 800x600" from whatever the original was. The change of resolution stick. How did you change the resolution?

On the other hand, I notice that Slacko64 (in VBox and qemu) spent a long time showing "welcome to slacko64 puppy", this is because wget "hangs" (network is up but the DNS resolution fails). Once I kill it, the quicksetup shows up.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

spandey

#40 Post by spandey »

With version 6.3.0 of Slacko64 the net browsing is very slow. It takes a while to load pages but version 6.1 was working finr. I did a clean Frugal install and the problem persist.
Off course we have slow internet connection 512kbps and core2duo pc but old precise still loads pages way faster.

algol68

#41 Post by algol68 »

@JamesBond

I upgraded to Virtualbox 5.0.10, alas I get the same result with the Fully Installed Slacko64.

I change screen resolution via Setup Puppy -> Graphics / Screen -> Change Screen Resolution.

Maybe the Windows Vista host is the issue.

Has anyone else tried a similar configuration?

tony

#42 Post by tony »

Slacko-630 32bit version.

Skype no microphone output. Solved by using Retrovol to tick and set Capture.

Capture not shown in alsamixer.

Retrovol found in Puppy setup > multiple cards > choose sound card > click Mike/spanner icon >choose sound card > click OK brings up retrovol to set up sound parameters.

Regards Tony.

Billtoo

Slacko/Slacko64 6.3.0 bug reports.

#43 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 SSD, pc is a Gateway desktop:

Video-Info 1.5.1 - Sat 21 Nov 2015 on Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.0 - Linux 4.1.11 x86_64

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti OEM] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1013x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Installed applications with PPM + compiled some.

The CPU Frequency Scaling Tool wouldn't work properly until intel_pstate=disable was added to the kernel line of the menu.lst file.

It's working well now.

Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(23.25 KiB) Downloaded 1890 times

Artie

#44 Post by Artie »

gcmartin wrote:Service Management
Will service-fixes be via Service Packs (aka like TahrPUP great approach) or via fixes/Fix-packs (aka @ETP magnificent approach)? Or will it be a combination of both (this would, of course, be ideal)?
Coming from TahrPup I am also interested in the answer to this question.

drblock2

jwm-tray configuration and urxvt problems solved

#45 Post by drblock2 »

I installed Slacko 6.3.0 (32-bit) with my old save file from Slacko 5.9.3 with little difficulty. I did, however, run into two small problems which I was able to solve.

(1) The old jwm-tray configuration was not accepted. I solved this by copying /root/.jwmrc-tray from the old configuration to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray1. Setup | Desktop | Tray allows you to define several different trays and some prefer to use this utility.

(2) urxvt did not recognize the Ctrl-L command for clearing the console window, but simply provided a new line as with Return. In addition, The Home key did not move to the beginning of the line, nor the End key to the end. Both produced a tilde (~). I am using the standard German keyboard de (Germany).

Solving this problem took a bit of research on-line. But, thanks to Lightening at spin.de and wiki.archlinux.org, I was able to find a solution.

Simply add the following three lines of code to /etc/inputrc:

Code: Select all

"\C-l": "clear\C-m"
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line

unicorn316386

#46 Post by unicorn316386 »

One random thing I noticed: In Slacko 6.3.0 32-bit, there is a line on the top of the Multimedia menu. In older versions like 6.0.7.4, GNOME MPlayer is on top of the line, but now it is below it... it's almost like there is an invisible entry on top of the line to keep it existing. Perhaps GNOME MPlayer is on both the top and bottom of the line, and it puts it at the bottom to avoid duplication? Every time I regenerate the menu, the line comes back, unless I remove the <Separator/> in /etc/xdg/menu/puppy-multimedia.menu between mediaplayer and audiovideo completely. Does anyone know why this happens? Looking at the 'hierarchy' file, it seems that GNOME MPlayer is actually supposed to be above the line? How does it get below it? :lol:
Attachments
line.jpg
(39.15 KiB) Downloaded 1831 times

GullyProber

slacko6.3.0(64)

#47 Post by GullyProber »

tku micko and the gang -- as long as I can hear Radio NZ and the BBC I am pretty happy, and I was having trouble since Flash seems to have been squashed and quashed lately. However, I was delighted that I can get everything I want now with the 6.3.0 after having been out of it for a couple of weeks. Now I would like to install Blue Griffon. It used to be in a depository somewhere a while back. Tks all, you have made my week!http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/images ... icon17.gif p.s. I also like the menu up the side which disappears when you have finished with it. Grouse!

watchdog

#48 Post by watchdog »

unicorn316386 wrote:One random thing I noticed: In Slacko 6.3.0 32-bit, there is a line on the top of the Multimedia menu. In older versions like 6.0.7.4, GNOME MPlayer is on top of the line, but now it is below it...
Look at the /usr/share/applications folder and the desktop files, look at the categories inside the desktop files: is the category of gnome-mplayer the same in older slacko and slacko 6.3.0?

chillinfart

#49 Post by chillinfart »

Slacko64 had a weird behavior with mesa drivers. It disappear after certain point of session (maybe Xorgwizard).

I'm trying luck with MesaLib 9.2.5 because i'm in great need to use sgminer and this version doesn't have a port from Catalyst drivers (i have a Radeon HD 5450, 3D upgrade wizard doesn't offer any upgrade).

EDIT: I see why Slacko used 9.1.7. (code errors with 3 files :cry: ) Trying to put back older drivers while i wait for propertiary Radeon drivers.

unicorn316386

#50 Post by unicorn316386 »

watchdog wrote:Look at the /usr/share/applications folder and the desktop files, look at the categories inside the desktop files: is the category of gnome-mplayer the same in older slacko and slacko 6.3.0?
Thank you. Didn't even think of right-clicking those files and opening them as text to compare. They are indeed in different categories. Replacing the 6.3 one with an older one moves the line below. Mystery solved! 8)