passwords vs fingerprints

For discussions about security.
labbe5

passwords vs fingerprints

#1 Post by labbe5 »

http://hackaday.com/2015/11/10/your-unh ... newsletter

If you've been told fingerprints are better than passwords, it is wishful thinking when used to secure accounts or devices (link above).

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Seems to me that using fingerprints instead of passwords is just an invitation to cut people's fingers off.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

As I seem to understand, the technology is planned to be in combination of facial imaging. 3D imaging-scanning makes this foolproof over the world and all its 8 billion people.

Edited: underline " in combination"
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 18 Nov 2015, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

gcmartin wrote:As I seem to understand, the technology is planned to be in combination of facial imaging. 3D imaging-scanning makes this foolproof over the world and all its 8 billion people.
facial imaging is by no means bulletproof.

tallboy

#5 Post by tallboy »

Seems to me that using fingerprints instead of passwords is just an invitation to cut people's fingers off.
Nope! Two professors at the Uni here in Oslo deviced and patented a way to detect if a finger was attached to a live person many years ago, using bioimpedance. Cannot be fooled! :D

tallboy

Edit: I know there have been trials to ensure that a fingerprint is actually a real persons prints, not something - like a scan - attached to the finger. Fingerprints have sweat pores...
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.